Feb 15, 2013, 10:10 AM
You know nothing....
I've posted a link to here onto the HoIV build above
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2013, 10:52 AM
Everything's A Composite
Wow Andrés, that's quite a ship ! Spoilers are going to come in handy with that one. Even with the limitations of the Re numbers we live with, I'm thinking that this one will have a rather good glide..................

Flying a model with that wingspan will require some re-thinking of the normal flight plan. Those wing tips are WAY out there.

Kent
Feb 15, 2013, 11:16 AM
Thread OP
Kent, yep, its a big wing and I'm happy to have access to a good and open place for flying. Nothing for small or crowded spots. Though it is large, it has only about half a metre more span per side than the H-XIV. On the table it does not feel that large, but I can feel already nervous just thinking about a maiden By the way, it has effective spoilers

Thanks Stuart!

Cheers
Andrés
Feb 15, 2013, 11:33 AM
Everything's A Composite
ha, ha, ha.... Top and bottom no less. Yes you have enough spoiler to wipe out lift for half of Germany! Looks good.

Kent
Feb 17, 2013, 07:41 PM

1/2 a Horten

Hello everyone, CPDude ask me to make a post of my 1st Horten, It is one of Tigershark's Dwg files, andI would like to thank him too, for sharing the design while I am at it. It has been real fun to build this way. And fast way to build as far as I am concerned. I started around late November 2012 after work a few days a week and some weekends as far as building time thus far.
So thanks to CPDude and Tigershark!

Dan
Feb 18, 2013, 03:44 AM
Dan,

You are welcome

It's nice to see, that someone is building this plane and is happy with it.

Lothar
Feb 18, 2013, 04:21 AM
You know nothing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan D
Hello everyone, CPDude ask me to make a post of my 1st Horten, It is one of Tigershark's Dwg files, andI would like to thank him too, for sharing the design while I am at it. It has been real fun to build this way. And fast way to build as far as I am concerned. I started around late November 2012 after work a few days a week and some weekends as far as building time thus far.
So thanks to CPDude and Tigershark!

Dan
Very nice!I've often thought that a bench with sweep would be handy for these wings
Feb 18, 2013, 07:43 PM
Everything's A Composite

The Wiesel

Here's a plank with the PW51 airfoil.

Kent

Wiesel - Maiden Flight (0 min 0 sec)

Wiesel ... (0 min 34 sec)

Slopin at Marina (0 min 0 sec)
Last edited by Knoll53; Feb 18, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Feb 19, 2013, 01:30 AM
You know nothing....
3,8 M Giga Wiesel sloping. (2 min 5 sec)

You call that a Wiesel?This is a Wiesel:
Feb 19, 2013, 03:20 AM
Thread OP
Wow!

Andrés
Feb 19, 2013, 05:44 PM
Living on the Dark Side.

Stealth glider.

Hi Fellas. Here is a pic of my scratch built glider. The wings are cut from el cheapo packaging foam. The outer wings are left overs from a stretched Alula I built and are thinned S5010 profile. The centre section is standard 5010 and was added in an attempt to reduce the amount of nose weight that was required. This did not pan out as planned and I needed to add a pod. A 3S 1300 mAh battery is in the nose and gives 3 0r 4 climbs to a couple hundred metres.
The ship is a real floater with only a few weather limited thermal opportunities thus far but has attracted close attention from the local eagle population. Surprisingly it also handles windy conditions well.
Currently the outboard control surfaces are set up as ailerons with the centre as elevators. I need to change this to outboard elevons and flaps in the centre and landings just go on and on forever.
Very happy with this ship that cost less than a hundred bucks all up.

Greg.

Name: Stealth foamy.jpg
Views: 170
Size: 311.9 KB
Description:
Feb 20, 2013, 05:38 AM
You know nothing....
Nice.Have you tried any flights without the inboard or tip fins?
Feb 20, 2013, 02:54 PM
Living on the Dark Side.
Thanks Stuart.

My test flights were tried with much smaller inboard fins and the plane would not respond to aileron inputs resulting in crashes into the nearby gum trees. I tried increasingly larger fins until I arrived at the current set up. As for the angled tip fins on the forward swept outer wings I just replicated something similar to the Alula. This 2metre set up flies well in this configuration but I may try it without the tip fins at some stage. I am open to any suggestions.

Greg.
Feb 20, 2013, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarcher
My test flights were tried with much smaller inboard fins and the plane would not respond to aileron inputs resulting in crashes into the nearby gum trees. I tried increasingly larger fins until I arrived at the current set up.
It's possible that those fins aren't really acting as the regular v-stab but rather side force generators (kind of like daggerboards on sailboats). I'm not entirely clear on the theory behind it myself but there is at least one design of a free flight plane that uses it as a replacement for dihedral.

Here's a picture of the plane. Circles perfectly fine with zero dihedral:
Feb 21, 2013, 09:04 PM
Designing something...

Stabiloplan IV

I cut a 1.5m Stabiloplan for a friend of mine. The plans are available here: http://www.nuricom.de/Models/index.htm. It's not done but it's going together pretty quickly.

Brian

Quick Reply