Oct 05, 2012, 02:49 PM
Impressive build Gerd and a refreshing change from straight lines! Well done!

Trev
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2012, 02:52 PM
You know nothing....
Beautiful work Gerd,thanks for sharing.Love the rib shaping,and the box spar.
Regards Stuart
Oct 05, 2012, 02:55 PM
Everything's A Composite
Great build log and great spar design. What I like about the box spar is that each builder can choose to build in whatever strength that is desired. Simply lay in CF tow to the top and bottom plates to add stiffness and strength. I suppose you could even retrofit the carbon tow into a completed plane. Nice.

Kent
Oct 05, 2012, 02:57 PM
Everything's A Composite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crozzie
Impressive build Gerd and a refreshing change from straight lines! Well done!

Trev
Check out wing gerd's avatar....an even more curvy one there !

Kent
Oct 05, 2012, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Even curvier eh? I'll have to check that out
In the meantime I've been bashing away at more straight lines and I think that it was you Kent that posted the inspiration for this project some weeks/months ago in one of your threads. Started cutting balsa on Monday, test glides yesterday in between showers and trying to sell my house so I can emigrated, maybe powered flight this weekend if 2mm connectors are delivered and time allows. It is shown here with just a profile pod to be able to get flight balance sorted, the power/radio pod is now fitted ,surfaces cut/hinged and the gear set up. I hope there's enough midnight oil to get some tissue doped on to pretty it up a bit.

Trev
Oct 05, 2012, 04:34 PM
Everything's A Composite
That's a wild shape Trev. This one could be built rather quickly at 3m out of foam with 3 panels per half span. A couple of carbon tow spars and a balsa skin and it time for movies !

With those fins and fuse it would be quite a sight slicing thru the air!

Kent
Oct 05, 2012, 05:51 PM
Yes, I think it's a cool shape too- in a sort of 'angular scimitar' way. The glide is quite flat fast and straight, well it was with profile fuse I've got to wait for daylight to try with gear fitted.Surface throws are about 1/4" up/down and a bit spongy due to piano wire torsion rod though at this size quite immaterial. Hey ! I could have claimed that to be a designed in servo saver, balance point is 1/2" fwd of root trailing edge.
Trev
Oct 06, 2012, 03:22 PM
good evening gentlemen,
Trev, I have to say..... really nice shape this little wing, fuselage enough big for perfect motor instalation.

By the way, the avatar is my first plank with the new box shape spar. Here is the airfoil ClarcYS. This is thick enough to get a good stifness. It flies really easy and when you wish, like a little hotliner. Wingspan 2,5 m, weight app. 1,8 kg complete.

You can find the build log here:
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...oud-Baubericht

The clip:
http://www.rcmovie.de/video/fe5a2e03...8/Flying-Cloud

A lot of new unconventional ideas went in this design. Box shape spar, side cover at fuselage, cooling exit at the rear, variable motor down thrust. etc.

gerd
Oct 07, 2012, 05:48 AM
You know nothing....
Another beauty Gerd.Looked through the build log,excellent stuff.I'm afraid#92 is about my level of expertise
Regards Stuart
Oct 07, 2012, 05:49 AM
Well guys it would be great to say that this little all sheet Apparition flew great---- but I can't By the time that all the gear was installed the trim CG position had moved too far forward for decent gliding flight, and it only flew at one speed, flat out under power and needed every bit of up elev [and some more] to avoid 'tent pegging' on arrival.As I don't fancy hanging weight on the wingtips to rebalance it's out with the knives and off with the pod for a rebuild. Still, failure is what spurs us all on to succeed I was told as a child!

@ Gerd. Now this Avatar of yours I really do like Fantastic lines! After I've done all that which Management has decreed to be done I'll take a good look at your build log for it.

Trev
Oct 07, 2012, 09:23 AM
Everything's A Composite
Quote:
Still, failure is what spurs us all on to succeed
You don't have a failure, you have a challenge ! After the first flight test is when things start to get interesting.

Would it be possible to relocate the servos out into the wings? Thus removing the torque rods and moving that weight back a bit. Then move the Rx and battery back until you like the CG.

With the proper CG, this plane will jump when you hit the elevator.

Kent
Oct 07, 2012, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53
You don't have a failure, you have a challenge ! After the first flight test is when things start to get interesting.

Kent
Ah Yes! a challenge!

Out with the knife and off with the pod, trim it up and refit an inch or so further aft , maybe fit servos under wings. Next step is arrange all components with sticky tape in place to get slightly tail heavy then rebuild

Trev
Oct 07, 2012, 05:15 PM
Herk
Quote:
Ah Yes! a challenge!

Out with the knife and off with the pod, trim it up and refit an inch or so further aft , maybe fit servos under wings. Next step is arrange all components with sticky tape in place to get slightly tail heavy then rebuild

Trev
You go man - you are rollin
Oct 08, 2012, 04:05 PM
Rollin' & a Rockin', all the gear put back in to the (un)melodious sounds of Meatloaf

As Kent said to view it all as a challenge, I thought why not try to do a miniature closed loop system to get rid of control slop, --- just luv a challenge me
Anyway it all works , and CG is about 3mm aft of the testglide position to allow some noseweight if needed and if it flies halfokay I'll draw up a big version, anyone got airfoil suggestions for a relatively high A/R wing.? Might even try a frustrating couple of hours trying it in XFLR5--- just for the challenge of course

Trev
Oct 08, 2012, 04:48 PM
Everything's A Composite
Every rebuild is an "opportunity" to try some thing new, as in your pull/pull linkage. Cool...like it.

BTW, all the Horten pilots who fly power, launch with a bungee just to assure a smooth transition to powered flight. I like a bungee for a short hard pull for initial test hops. It's just the easy way to get in the air.

Kent

Alpine Sled - Launch and land (0 min 32 sec)

Quick Reply