Jan 17, 2012, 10:17 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Just paint it yellow and crash a few more times and soon you will get the kernal look you want.
For sure its dimpled but was woundering how best to glue it all back together.
CA or 3m-90.

What have you experts in repairing done?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2012, 10:45 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
I'm thinking my outdated 72 might be the way to go unless its safe with outhers out there that has 2.4 in that case might be nice to just buy a bnf and chuck it in the air and not worry about it.
I wounder what horizon has to say about all this.
I wonder how virtually any TX can be so easily adapted, just like that... I haven't looked into it but offhand it sounds like the same idea as the FRSky or DragonLink type concept, where you tap into the PPM stream and it drives the external module. True, most any TX can be adapted over to 2.4GHz or the LRS UHF systems, but it's still work because almost all TX's are so different - usually you have to do some hacking.

BTW *NOBODY* could get me to budge off my DL to exchange it for a 2.4GHz system... nooooo wayyyyyy, period.

Rick NR417
Jan 17, 2012, 11:54 PM
ancora imparo
Rick, they have produced cables that plug into the Trainer (control pulses) and sometimes charger port (to power the module) of popular transmitters so it is pretty much a non-hack job. Just plug it in and go. Some Tx automatically turn off RF when you plug in the trainer plug, others (eg Spektrum) work in trainer mode if you plug in the cord and leave the Tx main switch off. Some will continue to transmit normally at the same time (a bit inelegant IMO).

A really neat solution (similar to other 2.4 add-on modules) to add a decent transmitter to the micro planes with the Tactic Rx. I bet it will be popular. My impression is this is not a long range system though. Will have to wait tilll they are actually tested in practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
I wonder how virtually any TX can be so easily adapted, just like that... I haven't looked into it but offhand it sounds like the same idea as the FRSky or DragonLink type concept, where you tap into the PPM stream and it drives the external module. True, most any TX can be adapted over to 2.4GHz or the LRS UHF systems, but it's still work because almost all TX's are so different - usually you have to do some hacking.

BTW *NOBODY* could get me to budge off my DL to exchange it for a 2.4GHz system... nooooo wayyyyyy, period.

Rick NR417
Jan 17, 2012, 11:55 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Quote:
For sure its dimpled but was woundering how best to glue it all back together.
CA or 3m-90.

What have you experts in repairing done?
Yep, nice to be in the conference with the black & gold, fellas (I have some family in Iowa). Both schools take their football seriously.

I never have warmed up to CA, too `old school' I guess. I do most of my foam repairs with 5-minute epoxy, in spite of what Multiplex preaches, and have had excellent results. Mix a little talcum powder in it to give it some sandable body.

Good luck with the repairs!
Jan 17, 2012, 11:56 PM
Just trying to get a nut.

#11 Key Chain CAM Video Editing

For those of you using the #11 keychain cam on your EZ* (have to stay on topic somehow...lols), what are y'all using to edit your .mov files? Sony Vegas seems to degrade the videos quality. I'd be happy if I can just cut/trim videos.

Thanks!
Jan 18, 2012, 01:39 AM
I use Pinnacle, virtualdub (free) and AVS in no particular order!

Vdub is great for adding filters, but a bit clunky these days. Pinnacle is just drag n' drop (both can edit and leave your video uncompressed)
Jan 18, 2012, 02:16 AM

Cooling the EZII

Just a morning update - was pondering the fuse over the first coffee of the day, and have identified a few areas to increase airflow further. I'll stop trimming soon or I'll end up flying a big straw

I've included the previous mods for clarity.

The areas marked with purple pen are the cut lines (I've marked the firewall cut I've already made too).

I think that I'll reinforce the cut rearwards from the main chamber with plastic tube as a sleeve.
Jan 18, 2012, 02:56 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Quote:
For sure its dimpled but was woundering how best to glue it all back together. CA or 3m-90. What have you experts in repairing done?
Personally, I've just used an el cheapo CA (10 bottles for a quid from the Happy Sampan Chinese Bazaar and Fancy Goods Emporium), backed up by a reasonable smattering of good quality packing tape... Seems to have held together OK. Your hardest part will be getting the tail feathers lined up, especially is the breakage occurred due to shock bending. The foam may have compressed slightly on one side, which would leave a simple 'nail it back on' job out of line.

I only whipped the nose off of mine, but here's how I fixed it....

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3678
Jan 18, 2012, 06:19 AM
Flying low is expensive.
I agree on using CA. I feel like Epoxy doesn't really bond the foam together as well becasue it will just hold the two surfaces together, whereas CA soaks into the foam on both sizes and actually fuses it together. My other go-to glue is gorilla glue. The white stuff blends in with the fuse pretty well (and dries more quickly ) But hey, to each his own!

@Rick: comparing a DL system to any 2.4ghz system is like comparing apples to oranges. DL is just so far superior that it's not even funny. At the same time, a DL system costs ~$270 for the module and one receiver (with two antennas). I bought my Fut 9chp for ~$125 (used of course) and that came with a Rx too. That being said, I wish I had the cash for a DL
Jan 18, 2012, 07:08 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
For those of you using the #11 keychain cam on your EZ* (have to stay on topic somehow...lols), what are y'all using to edit your .mov files? Sony Vegas seems to degrade the videos quality. I'd be happy if I can just cut/trim videos.

Thanks!
I don't do a bad job with windows movie maker- cut trim split- captions- can fade too
Jan 18, 2012, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFrag View Post
I've run it for a few flights... 5ish

With the gopro + fpv gear mounted I had 7 minutes of flight time... that depleted my battery to 2%
1300g is a lot of weight for an EasyStar, especially when you add a lot of extra drag as well.

What size of battery did you deplete within 7 minutes?

Jürgen
Jan 18, 2012, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post

Thanks!
For a PC I use Videopad editor. On my IPAD 2 I use iMovie.

Bill
Jan 18, 2012, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
Just a morning update - was pondering the fuse over the first coffee of the day, and have identified a few areas to increase airflow further.
What's all the fuzz about increasing airflow? With an efficient drive system, dissipating heat should really not be an issue.

Jürgen
Jan 18, 2012, 07:16 AM
Why so serious?
Thread OP
Quote:
I don't do a bad job with windows movie maker- cut trim split- captions- can fade too
The #11 camera records HD 1280x720 frames at 30 fps and uses H.264 video codec. Not supported in WMM.
Jan 18, 2012, 07:24 AM
Why so serious?
Thread OP
Quote:
well then will post it again till they berate you properly-
It's bad karma to bust on someone's misfortune in crashing. You will anger the Gravity Gods and open yourself up for similar.

unless it's Bob, of course.

Quick Reply