Dec 29, 2011, 08:29 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
New Product

Blu-Baby 33 Trike (Monoblockless) Kit and Plans

Been working the BlueBaby design to have tricycle landing gear. Have has alot of success at building with FFF internal structure as opposed to a Monoblock.

This is a 33" undercamber wing RET. Here are some pics of the progress.

Thought some of you might like to try this.

Ken

Plans here

Nose gear bearing block

Link to suggested components.

If you are interested in a kit, I have them available at this time.

Kits are cut from a new product called Model Plane Foam. It is a premium extruded polystyrene foam like FFF, but without the waves, perforations, or printing, and is white in color, making it very nice to put any color on.

Kits include CNC cut foam parts with airfoil baked into the wing panels, plywood firewall and control horns. They are available through my website now at www.kenscadmodels.com
Last edited by dz1sfb; Nov 09, 2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Added details
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2011, 08:44 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
DZ, That’s Pretty COOL !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 29, 2011, 09:32 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Nice Ken.

So I have noticed your previous work using the non-monoblock method. How would you say it compares to the mono-block in the energy absorbtion department, AKA crash worthyness?

Oh, and does the nosewheel rotate?
Dec 29, 2011, 10:02 PM
RC Adddict
Ken thats very nicely done . Ive been wanting a nice trike trainer . Looks like having it steerable will be simple from where the servos are mounted . Can you post some pics of the linkage you used ? or did you make it ?
Dec 29, 2011, 11:09 PM
Fly low...Feel the high!
Count me in!
Dec 29, 2011, 11:23 PM
Ken .... how many planes you have in production? I think there must be 100s
Dec 30, 2011, 07:00 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP

Steerable and Non-Steerable Nose Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer
Nice Ken.

So I have noticed your previous work using the non-monoblock method. How would you say it compares to the mono-block in the energy absorbtion department, AKA crash worthyness?

Oh, and does the nosewheel rotate?

I have found that having double wall foam on the sides, top and middle back to the wing leading edge position have provided superior crush resistance over just a monoblock with the esc cavity. Plus there is more internal space for whatever you need.

This concept has been validated in the Oshkosh Special 40, Oshkosh Sport, and the Rascal 36. The Oshkosh Sport was validated with a new pilot, who poked the nose hard enough to break the light ply firewall, but never crushed the foam. I think that plane is on its fourth firewall. The last firewall we made out of 1/8" abs plastic. That is robust. The Oshkosh Specials that got pounded at Oshkosh revealed the monoblock was a weak link.

On the nosewheel; My intention is to make this steerable, which will mean several things.
1. Linkage fron rudder servo will not be a problem as you can have a direct line to it (no monoblock to go through).
2. Du-Bro makes a 1/2A nose gear, which is .093" wire. That is light, but not light enough. Nose gear wire needs to be .078" wire. This will accomodate most appropriately sized park flyer wheels. That means you either fabricate your own nosewheel mounting block, or rework a commercial (i.e. Du-Bro's).
3. I will design the block and get it manufactured from Shapeways. They do stereo lithography, and the WSF material is much like nylon. That will also make this accessory available to anyone who wishes to purchase one as well. Less than $10 for the part. That might sound like alot, but when you factor in your time to fab such a part it is dirt cheap. Also a 1/16" wheel collar drilled out to .078" will be needed. along with an extra long set screw and piece of nylon tubing. Depending on how much demand there is I may put these assemblies together and offer them to those interested. I have scope out Hobby King and see if they have a ready made unit as well.
4. Optional non steerable gear. This is the easiest and cheapest set up. So how do you steer an non steerable gear on the ground. It is easier than you might think. Landing gear position is critical. The main gear on a model this size needs to be about a 1/2" behind the CG. This makes the load on the nose gear fairly light. Now when you power up, using up elevator makes it even lighter. Get the nose up just a bit more and you shift the main position right under the CG, the rudder does the rest of the work. You don't even have to get the nose off the ground. It works beautifully. I probably will opt for this until my stereo part arrives (takes about 2-3 weeks).

Ken
Dec 30, 2011, 10:16 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Great stuff Ken. Thx for elaborating. I actually prefer to go w/o a monoblock. I like the larger cavity size for gear much better. Glad to hear how it takes a crash.

So for the nose gear, would it work to just have the nose wheel set in like a tube of some sort, like a small coffee straw, allowing it to rotate freely? So that when the rudder makes the plane turn it just freewheels like a caster?
Dec 30, 2011, 10:43 PM
RC Adddict
Ken i'd be pretty tempted to get This Setup just for the nose wheel assy if it ever comes back in stock .
Dec 30, 2011, 11:02 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Ken
What did you use for a linkage connector and is that a regular collar? Ooops guess I should have read the captions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Now I got a RC car. LOL

Ken
Dec 31, 2011, 07:11 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer
Great stuff Ken. Thx for elaborating. I actually prefer to go w/o a monoblock. I like the larger cavity size for gear much better. Glad to hear how it takes a crash.

So for the nose gear, would it work to just have the nose wheel set in like a tube of some sort, like a small coffee straw, allowing it to rotate freely? So that when the rudder makes the plane turn it just freewheels like a caster?

Jimmy,

That could work out unless there is a breeze. It will tend to weathervane as a rule. However with the large lateral area of the BB fuselage (the cause of adverse yaw in this design) it may be more nuetral in this respect.

Something more robust than a stirrer straw, or mounting that in a wood block should be sufficient. You just have to get the geometry proper for castering. It is definitely worth experimenting with.

Ken
Dec 31, 2011, 07:16 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor
Ken i'd be pretty tempted to get This Setup just for the nose wheel assy if it ever comes back in stock .
That is a convienient setup. Though it looks to place the nose gear pretty far behind the motor. The price is right though, and I might like a set of those for my Tucano.

Ken
Dec 31, 2011, 07:45 PM
RC Adddict
I'm on the mailing list for when there back in stock . I wonder if the Wheel could be swapped 180 and mount the whole unit in the wrong way around . I dont know as i haven't seen one yet but if so you could get it right up front . and for the price with a servo it baffles me how someone makes money on stuff like that .
Jan 01, 2012, 03:39 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP

BB 33 UC Trike Ready to Maiden

Got the trike complete to maiden. I am very happy with the results. AUW is 252g or if you like 8.9oz. This means the structured internal design combined with the added weight of the nose gear is negligible.

On another note of excitement, I have gotten permission to manufacture Blu-Babies from its designer Tony65x55. Don't know how many we will sell, but have had some requests for this in the past and now its a reality.

Ken

Quick Reply