Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 29, 2001, 04:54 PM

Axis for Gyro on an Eco 8

I just got my Gyro and I'm wondering on what axis should I set it up on? The Main shaft (up/down) or the tail boom (front to back)? I know that I should mount it behind the main shaft, I just don't know if it should be lined up with the axis of the main rotor shaft or not.

Thanks in advance for you help
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2001, 05:30 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
The closer to being in line with the main shaft the better. Up or down makes no diff. unless you are doing 3D.

Even if you mount it on the nose, or tail though, it will pivot and do its job.
Oct 30, 2001, 02:42 PM
Product Manager at Hobbico
Actually... the ONLY thing that's important about the location you mount the gyro is to place it in an area of lowest vibration. The gyro senses yaw,.. and the entire helicopter yaws at the same rate (unless it's made of rubber ). You could place it behind the mast, in front of the mast, up in the nose, on the end of the tailboom, on a skid,..etc. and it would work equally as well as long as the viration levels were all the same.Height doesn't matter either. The gyro can be low or high in the heli. Just make sure it's in the lowest vibration area. Whenever I get a new machine (new design), I play with the gyro in every nook and cranny,.. giving it a few flights each, and see where the gain can be the highest,..as this is a psuedo-indicator of vibration levels.
Latest blog entry: blog