This thread is privately moderated by HUMPHREY1957, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 29, 2011, 07:36 AM
I fly SLOPE landings are crash
Thread OP
Discussion

Monkey Business

Wheeeeeeee I had a box of Slope Monkeys turn up today.

Started putting one together and took some photos for a build log.

Stay tuned to this monkey Business thread..

OK So I started last night.

Put the wings together fitted the spars and shaped the tips.

I put a balsa trailing edge on the wing to stop some possible warping and add a bit of stiffness. I stole this idea from my NCFM Moth and Ubermoth builds. The pic is of the Ubermoth wing..

Pu glued the leading edge and tips. Also the spars and trailing edge.

What the heck. I did the rest too.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2011, 07:38 AM
Thread OP
I have a few light models so I wanted this one to handle a bit of breeze.

The balsa tail parts were sanded to my satisfaction and then glassed with 3/4 oz cloth using Cyano as a bonder. I have used this a fair bit on C/L team race models and is real easy. Dust your balsa parts after sanding. Lay the cloth on the balsa and drip Cyano on the glass. The glass wicks down and is ready to sand in ten minutes max. Don't worry if you get the occasional bubble. When the stuff is hard. Sand the bubbles out and lay a scrap piece of cloth on that part. Drip some Cyano on it. Let it go hard and sand it again.
When all is dry sand with a block. There will still be some cloth pattern so I give it a liberal coat of Cyano. Rubbing it smooth wit my pinky finger.
Dec 29, 2011, 07:41 AM
Thread OP
The Fuse.
I wanted to PU and paint this monkey so it looks flash when I take it to Camperdown so I put a couple of fibreglass kite sticks top and bottom of the fuse. I have had dramas in the past with foam fuses cracking so this is a bit of an experiment. I can alway tape it later if it doesnt work out.

Then I cut out a hole for the battery and receiver.
Another stolen idea from a past build. Moth.

The servo hole is self explanatory. I made sure the Battery was a neat fit then glued in the piece for the Left side of the battery / receiver compartment.

Let all the glue set tll tomorrow.
Last edited by HUMPHREY1957; Dec 30, 2011 at 08:53 AM.
Jan 01, 2012, 06:16 PM
Thread OP
Progressing along.

The tailplane is fitted. Wing final sanded & covered with the heavy covering which Adam so generously supplied with the kits.

The covering is a lot harder to apply than my usual 75 micron film.
It will not shrink tight without using a paint stripping heat gun. Being careful not to overheat the EPP.

I glued the wing down with PU glue removing the film where contact is to be made.

Now to prepare the ailerons and linkages. "Doh" Should have done this before.
May 27, 2012, 02:37 AM
Thread OP
First flight of the slope monkey today in reasonable air at Wybung in a Southerly.

77mph downhill on the frontside.
Then I stacked in the bushes and stripped a servo.
Bummer I was just starting to get a handle on it.

Cant wait to heave it at Manilla.

Next time out I should be able to see it at least.

Quick Reply