Nov 01, 2012, 10:15 PM
Registered User
I get long flight times but oddly once a battery gets down to about 3.85 volts the MQX won't have enough juice to run any more and that's with several different new Hyperion and stock batteries.
Is that normal?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2012, 11:35 PM
Jake From Planet Mascoutah, IL
Jake8131's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
I get long flight times but oddly once a battery gets down to about 3.85 volts the MQX won't have enough juice to run any more and that's with several different new Hyperion and stock batteries.
Is that normal?
I set my timer on my DX6i to 9 mins.....
Nov 02, 2012, 10:18 AM
Registered User
Yeah that's what I came up with too.
Was just curious that such a small quad wouldn't run on 3.85 volts like my planes do.
Nov 02, 2012, 10:23 AM
Registered User
jlcamp7's Avatar
I can't confirm this 100% but I believe it has something to do with the current draw of four motors running on a quad vs only one on a plane. On my larger 250 size quad with kk2 board it gives me a read out of the voltage and I have the cutoff set at 7.2 for my 2s pack. It has a beeper that will beep and let me know once it has reached that level. When it beeps and I bring it in and land it and check the voltage it's always higher (like 7.6-7.8). So I believe the current draw is causing the lower number even though once settled the lipo is reading out higher.
Nov 02, 2012, 08:40 PM
Jake From Planet Mascoutah, IL
Jake8131's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
I get long flight times but oddly once a battery gets down to about 3.85 volts the MQX won't have enough juice to run any more and that's with several different new Hyperion and stock batteries.
Is that normal?
What is the temp where you are flying..cold weather affects the batterys flight time.
Nov 02, 2012, 11:08 PM
Registered User
Jake you just hit the nail on the head!

I flew my batteries at 85 degrees and they were still at a flyable charge level when I quit but then I tried to show somebody how it flies that night when the temps dipped way down into the 70's (that's cold in Florida Lol) and they wouldn't even power it up at all at the lower temp.
I can fly planes at much less voltage but as mentioned the quad has 4X the number of motors and that must make a big difference on energy needs.
Nov 03, 2012, 01:47 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
Gerry__'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
I can't confirm this 100% but I believe it has something to do with the current draw of four motors running on a quad vs only one on a plane. On my larger 250 size quad with kk2 board it gives me a read out of the voltage and I have the cutoff set at 7.2 for my 2s pack. It has a beeper that will beep and let me know once it has reached that level. When it beeps and I bring it in and land it and check the voltage it's always higher (like 7.6-7.8). So I believe the current draw is causing the lower number even though once settled the lipo is reading out higher.
Well, obviously the voltage under load is going to be lower than the resting voltage. A old pack could well read 3.85 at rest but sag down below LVC under load.
Nov 03, 2012, 01:52 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
Gerry__'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
Jake you just hit the nail on the head!

I flew my batteries at 85 degrees and they were still at a flyable charge level when I quit but then I tried to show somebody how it flies that night when the temps dipped way down into the 70's (that's cold in Florida Lol) and they wouldn't even power it up at all at the lower temp.
I can fly planes at much less voltage but as mentioned the quad has 4X the number of motors and that must make a big difference on energy needs.
It all depends on the motor in the plane. And no way is a temp in the 70's going to cause a lipo's voltage to sag.
Nov 03, 2012, 06:12 AM
Registered User
jlcamp7's Avatar
Yep agreed I've flown some of these 1s lipos in the 30's with no issues.
Nov 03, 2012, 12:11 PM
Philippians 4:13
I fly everyday in temps less than 40. Sometimes in the teens. No problems.
Nov 06, 2012, 10:51 AM
Registered User
Nice toys.
Nov 06, 2012, 11:12 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
Gerry__'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by adia View Post
Nice toys.
Man of few words?
Nov 06, 2012, 01:49 PM
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I think unless the stabilization system of an aircraft also has accellerometers, it does not matter the orientation when binding, as long as it is still. I just measures a signal level from the sensors upon binding to get a baseline of what "stable" is. It has no idea what "level" is. Is this right? Now on my mini pet, I make sure it is level, cause that thing will auto-level when you release the cyclic.
You are correct - AS3X is simply a 3-axis gyro-based stabilization system. There are no accelerometers or other means of establishing a reference with respect to the Earth - therefore it is impossible for AS3X to know which way is up. The mQX and all of the other AS3X-equipped aircraft can be initialized in any orientation. The only requirement is that the aircraft remains motionless during the process. I own at least one of each AS3X-equipped aircraft that has been released - except for the mSRX, HT, and Spit. I initialize them in whatever orientation is the most convenient at the moment. As long as they remain motionless during initialization, AS3X works as expected - regardless of orientation.

BTW - binding & initialization are completely different things. Binding is done once. Turning on the tx & then powering-up the aircraft to fly it is called initializing - not binding.

Joel
Nov 06, 2012, 02:07 PM
Registered User

Help with MQX "stalling" problem?


So I have been having loads of fun learning quads with the MQX but recently it has developed a problem where the motors stop in mid air after hearing a brief squeal noise and it always flips over sharply and crashes and the motors stop. It will then fly for a variable amount of time and while flying just randomly does it again even when simply hovering in place.

The squeal noise always happens immediately prior and I don't know what the sound is.

Luckily it's tough and nothing breaks so far except a carbon boom but I need to fix this bug.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks
Nov 06, 2012, 07:54 PM
Jake From Planet Mascoutah, IL
Jake8131's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
So I have been having loads of fun learning quads with the MQX but recently it has developed a problem where the motors stop in mid air after hearing a brief squeal noise and it always flips over sharply and crashes and the motors stop. It will then fly for a variable amount of time and while flying just randomly does it again even when simply hovering in place.

The squeal noise always happens immediately prior and I don't know what the sound is.

Luckily it's tough and nothing breaks so far except a carbon boom but I need to fix this bug.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks
Doesn't sound very good.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold BNF PZ J3 Cub, BNF PZ P-51D Mustang, Blade mSR RTF & DX6i nyaaah!! Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 11 Oct 06, 2011 11:21 AM
For Sale New Blade 400 RTF Will sell as BNF papower Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 8 Aug 04, 2011 12:28 PM
Sold ON HOLD....FS/WTT Like New (RTF) Heli-Max AXE CPv3 For Like New (BNF) Blade mCP X ABADGTP Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jul 26, 2011 07:22 PM
Sold Blade MCX2 Like New RTF or BNF tamiyafan1975 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Jul 14, 2011 03:39 PM
Sold Blade mCPX RTF or BNF (factory sealed new in box) PatternFlyer Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 Mar 28, 2011 03:25 PM