Jun 16, 2012, 08:02 AM
Have Fun..Fly Safe
Gerry, does adding the ping pong ball and small straw to the font of your MQX make it nose heavy and fly alot different? It looks like the best idea to help with orientation.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2012, 11:15 AM
Registered Toaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan
I know this is an oldish post to reply to, but I just found it and I think it's worth re-highlighting

Balancing the props using this method on my MQx made a huge different to removing vibration in my video with an 808 camera slung under it.

After applying some tape to the 'light' blade, there was a little bit of friction in the shaft that made that last bit of difference hard to spot, but I found that by tapping on the arm below the prop, it broke the friction and encouraged the now still only slightly heavier prop to come around to the bottom. I then added a tiny sliver more tape to the light prop.

Then, when tapping it didn't make it turn no matter what position I started the props, it was all done. And as mentioned above, this balances everything, so is better than just doing the props.

Video is now vibration free. It also sounds much quieter when flying.
I am interested in trying this out...

what kind of tape did you use?

where on the props did you apply the tape?

thanks!
Jun 16, 2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin

thanks!
Clear tape, folded over the leading edge right out at the tip should do the trick. Lots of videos on youtube show how to balance props.
Jun 16, 2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparherb
Gerry, does adding the ping pong ball and small straw to the font of your MQX make it nose heavy and fly alot different? It looks like the best idea to help with orientation.
The system compensates for the extra mass at the front to the point where you don't notice any difference, apart from needing a bit more power.
Jun 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:

thanks!
I used ordinary household clear tape and I put in on the leading edge about half an inch from the end of the blade with most of it on the top surface and just a little wrapping underneath.

Not sure if there's a better place to put it, but my reasoning was on the leading edge the air is constantly pushing against it rather than trying to rip it off.

It's very thin tape, so rubbed down hard I don't think it's harming the aerodynamics greatly. I'm open to suggestions as to improved ways of placing it though.
Jun 16, 2012, 02:15 PM
Always, against the wind
Quote:
.... does adding the ping pong ball and small straw to the font of your MQX make it nose heavy and fly alot different?
My orientation is made from a power line (grass trimmer) and a ping pong ball. She flies like a charm without affecting any performance. No need to order from the net and wait
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...52-31-TD-3.jpg
Jun 16, 2012, 05:24 PM
Registered Toaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__
Clear tape, folded over the leading edge right out at the tip should do the trick. Lots of videos on youtube show how to balance props.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan
I used ordinary household clear tape and I put in on the leading edge about half an inch from the end of the blade with most of it on the top surface and just a little wrapping underneath.

Not sure if there's a better place to put it, but my reasoning was on the leading edge the air is constantly pushing against it rather than trying to rip it off.

It's very thin tape, so rubbed down hard I don't think it's harming the aerodynamics greatly. I'm open to suggestions as to improved ways of placing it though.
got it, thanks

watched some videos, in 1 vid the guy used some fine grit sandpaper to reduce weight on the heavy blade rather than adding weight to the light blade. I like the idea of reducing weight instead of adding it (even though I'm sure it's very minimal), and I have some fine 800 grit sandpaper lying around. I would do it to the underside of the blade, using a small piece with my finger so I don't get too close to the blade's edges...

do you think this is a good idea on small mqx props?
Jun 16, 2012, 11:30 PM
Quote:
got it, thanks

watched some videos, in 1 vid the guy used some fine grit sandpaper to reduce weight on the heavy blade rather than adding weight to the light blade. I like the idea of reducing weight instead of adding it (even though I'm sure it's very minimal), and I have some fine 800 grit sandpaper lying around. I would do it to the underside of the blade, using a small piece with my finger so I don't get too close to the blade's edges...

do you think this is a good idea on small mqx props?
Waste off time on these props,IMO.
Jun 17, 2012, 12:21 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
My version of added visbility: a 1 mm CF rod between the 2 rear motors (held in the same manner as one of the earlier posts in this thread), with some orange paper forming a "profile ping pong ball" taped-on (I mostly fly tail-in).
It weighs just under 1 gram and the flying has been fine (been doing flips and rolls in the wind using 125% rates on A, E and R).

The orange paper matches the orange props in the rear, so "orange= heli tail" for me.
Jun 17, 2012, 01:08 AM
I love this micro FPV

MQX FPV First flights (3 min 34 sec)
Jun 17, 2012, 03:45 AM
@guyst - Can you upload pictures of the FPV gear insulation please

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyst
Jun 17, 2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyst
Hey
I know the guy in the beginning of the video
Jun 18, 2012, 03:53 AM
Registered Toaster
Quote:
I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. I notice when I fly a buzzing sound... I'm no expert but to me that indicates some sort of vibration.

here's the vid I watched, pretty helpful. he balances a small prop... at 5:40 in he recommends doing this for small blades too:

RC Prop and Spinner Balancing - Part 2 (8 min 38 sec)

I did a quick test by pushing the white gear down out of the way so the prop could spin freely like others have suggested here to balance the whole assembly. one blade dropped to the bottom just like in the vid...
Jun 18, 2012, 05:23 AM
Quote:
If you mean it is a waste of time to balance them, I disagree. All of mine were out of balance enough to require small pieces of tape. When balanced, they run much smoother and it makes a big difference to videos shot from the mQX.

If you mean it is a waste of time to sand vs. using tape, I agree. I just applied the tape to the underside of the blades and rubbed it down well. It shows no signs of coming off after months of use. The tip speed is not high enough to lift tape.

Don't forget to check tracking (the height of one blade vs. the other) too. After a crash, the blades can get bent, but this can be easily fixed by just bending them back into position.

Paul
Jun 18, 2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz

If you mean it is a waste of time to sand vs. using tape, I agree.
Yep, that's what I meant.

Quick Reply