Mar 26, 2012, 02:48 PM
I can confirm that the mQX doesn't achieve liftoff with much more than 50g attached, and even then is hard to maneuver indoors with said load. Sticking to a 15g keychain cam is probably best.

Edit:
Any recommendations on a cheap FPV setup? I've seen some on Amazon that sell for ~$30 that might do the job:
2.4ghz cam
But how would I get it a power source? Could I wire that up to another 3.7v500mah lipo?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2012, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris...
Cheers! have you history with flying Heli's FP CP ?
None at all, so I have a lot work to do
Mar 26, 2012, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek
That auto timer is BRILLIANT. I always had trouble remembering to start the timer. Not any more! On the mQX, I have mine set at 5 min. and to start count down at 10% throttle. Works perfect every time.
Ron
Before I got my DX8 (1st of Feb), I was flying 10 minutes and lost 1 motor (black/white wires). Since the DX8, I have set the timer at 10% throttle start and 8 minutes and have not lost a motor since. I also kept forgetting to start the timer and not know where I was. Love the DX8
Gary
Mar 26, 2012, 03:48 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnumbskull
I can confirm that the mQX doesn't achieve liftoff with much more than 50g attached, and even then is hard to maneuver indoors with said load. Sticking to a 15g keychain cam is probably best.

Edit:
Any recommendations on a cheap FPV setup? I've seen some on Amazon that sell for ~$30 that might do the job:
2.4ghz cam
But how would I get it a power source? Could I wire that up to another 3.7v500mah lipo?
That one won't work because it operates on the same frequencies as the RC gear. You'll need an FPV system that operates on something other than 2.4GHz. If you live in the 'States, keep in mind that some of the systems sold by overseas vendors are illegal to operate in the US. To be legal in the US, the system must be 'FCC type-accepted'. Also, some systems require an Amateur Radio license. Do your homework before purchasing, as it is solely the user's responsibility to make sure the system is operated legally. It is not the vendor or manufacturer's responsibility to make sure the systems are used legally.

Joel
Mar 26, 2012, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMonkey
Sadly I get addicted to my hobbies kind of quick. I've already started pricing out warthox's bambucopter build. Since that video was what sold me on quads in the first place.
Watched the video, killer flying. I doubt if I will ever be that good, but the MQX flying over 6 inch tall grass (almost impossible to break on that much padding), is the perfect quad to practice with. No fear of breaking leads to much more and better practice. Love my Q
Mar 26, 2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old guy1
Watched the video, killer flying. I doubt if I will ever be that good, but the MQX flying over 6 inch tall grass (almost impossible to break on that much padding), is the perfect quad to practice with. No fear of breaking leads to much more and better practice. Love my Q
I figure everyone needs to start somewhere. That's why I grabbed an mqx. I'm just glad I was able to restrain myself enough to not just build one right off the bat.

Hopefully I can find a place similar to your 6in of grass.
Mar 26, 2012, 04:02 PM
Always, against the wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old guy1
..... Love my Q
Don't let you wife know
Mar 26, 2012, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis
Don't let you wife know
Too late
Mar 26, 2012, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMonkey
I figure everyone needs to start somewhere. That's why I grabbed an mqx. I'm just glad I was able to restrain myself enough to not just build one right off the bat.

Hopefully I can find a place similar to your 6in of grass.
City owned property by the water plant. About the size of 6 football fields. Grass kept mowed between 4 and 8 inches, perfect for practice. Just hand launch and kill throttle just off the grass so not wrap up in gears. Since it is electric and small, the employes don't mind, if fact, they will watch
Mar 26, 2012, 04:21 PM
not crazy, dont play one on tv
Foxtech's cam5820 is cool and easy to mount, weighs with batt 27g, I also got fpv hobby micro combo 5.8g gear, and it weighs 17g including ping pong ball and batt.
2.4g might cause some rc rx problems....
I'm lazy, haven't took pics, weather has been bad, and still waiting for DVr...
Spent more cause fpvhobby cam didn't work,( fpvhobby combo did not have mic, so something happend) it had a mic and it worked, no pic, so got foxtech's cam5820 and a camera from dpcav.com, both worked with fpvhobby's vRx,
Mar 26, 2012, 05:45 PM
Got a new clockwise replacement motor this week from my LHS. Thought I was doing fine with the third one for that corner. Today a little wind gust dumped the quad on my blacktop driveway, it was really way too windy to be flying. I righted her and the right front wouldn't power up, so what else is new.

Here is what else is new! the new motor has a white end bell, (brush/commutator end), and it has 2 vent holes! It also has a black power plug compared to the white plugs on all of my other mQX motors.

Funny thing is I had ordered some Solo Pro motors as backups for my mSR, and they have the very same white endbells with the same 2 holes and even the numbers embossed in them were the same. Hmmm...... hey Horizon can we just buy $5 motors to replace your $10 motors?

You should all put a few replacement booms with wiring in your spares box. The recent hit also cleaned the enamel from the wires on that RF boom and wouldn't allow power though to the replacement motor until I did a little liquid bandage surgery on the wires. It will be easier to just have a couple booms along with the motors that you WILL NEED. The booms move a bit and the enameled wires can only take about 5 to 10 jam it in the ground hits before they short out. Another weight saving move over properly coated wires that will eventually bite you in the tail.

John
Mar 26, 2012, 06:29 PM

Unstable take-offs

I have had my mQx for almost two months and I have already replaced one of the motors since I fly it so much. I fly it every single chance I get. I had replaced the left rear motor since it would not spin when I gave it throttle.

I noticed lately that my mQX becomes unstable during take-offs, but once it is in the air and flying, it's fine. Is this a sign that the motors are wearing out? Has anyone replaced all four motors? I would like to find out when would be a good time to replace the motors. I would hate for the motor(s) to crap out while in flight.
Mar 26, 2012, 08:29 PM
Can't get enough

Crasho

Today I had my first real crash trying to do a flip outside and landed on the grass throwing the canopy off and the lipo. The canopy tore a little, but everything seemed to be ok except for a broken mount. I replaced it, but noticed the boom is loose. I checked the others, and they are kind of loose as well. I would hate to add CA, but is there any of you that have noticed that they aren't tight? Thanks!

Justin
Mar 26, 2012, 08:33 PM
3 out of four of mine wiggle a little when twisted. I am not worried about it until I get a chance to try out my new keychain cam
Mar 27, 2012, 10:52 AM
Always, against the wind
Having a blast of flying the RTF Q for two months with no problems, I would like now to purchase the 120SR. I have a stock of all new motors plus few Hyperion batteries. So, my question is if I buy the BNF 120SR will my Q Tx bind with it? How about the batteries and motors?
Last edited by Thetis; Mar 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM.

Quick Reply