Looking for plans, any ideas?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2003, 04:35 PM
Thread OP
HP
Oct 03, 2003, 04:56 PM
Get One Up!!!
Dorme

The HP Manx was a free plan presented with Aviation Modeller International in October 1996. It was a 1:9.5 scale 49.75" span Sp400 design by Gerry Rathband, of all built up construction.

The plan is still available, Price 8.50 from Aviation Modeller International plans service, Model Activity Press, 3 High Street, Chesham, Bucks, HP5 IBG UK.

hth

Brian
Oct 03, 2003, 05:12 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, Brian, that's the size I'm looking for.
Oct 03, 2003, 06:28 PM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Dorme

Lots of parts with lots of lightening holes to make if you go this route...

Not trying to put you off

Rich
Oct 03, 2003, 06:30 PM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Wing spar and fuse formers..
Last edited by Richard ll; Oct 03, 2003 at 06:32 PM.
Oct 04, 2003, 08:03 AM
Thread OP
Actually, putting in all those lightening holes doesn't reduce the weight as much as weaken the structure. I have found that in planes of this size, the holes in the ribs will cause more problems in repair vs the weight loss. The same thing is true for the fuse. Now if you are talking about a 30" WS or under, the lightening holes can make a difference in the percentage of weight reduction. Also choosing your balsa grade helps. If you are building a plane that is that sensitive to lightening holes to fly, then you will probably stall it in. Having full structures to unload the potential energy is a good thing for the repairman. Also, I have found that how you set up your plane for break away situations is a good thing for the repairman.
Oct 05, 2003, 01:14 AM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Dorme

I've seen a pic of this one next to a larger-60"ish version.
Had a look in my mags but couldn't find it-I think it was made from blue foam...
Anyway it's an interesting project.

Rich
Oct 05, 2003, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
Since there are soooooo many planes to build and fly, at my age I have to pick and choose the interesting ones. I also am finding that the under 40 inch size are harder for me to fly and spot. It doesn't take long for me to end up flying the plane where it was rather than ahead of it. So the bigger planes are easier to spot and fly in a more scale fashion. MOF, I was flying the Multiplex Cargo(my B-17 mod) last week and found it was very nice....scale and slow. Then I flew a SF P-40 (30") and was behind it all the time until it got too far away and I had to dump it into the ground to avoid losing it in the trees.
Oct 06, 2003, 04:16 AM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Dorme

I don't think it has anything to do with age. I'm thirtysomething and much prefer planes that give me time to think about what I'm doing and enjoy the flight. Others in my club are well into their 50s and love the fast flickable planes...
I had a GWS Zero that I was constantly trying to catch up with, most of its landings had that Kamikazi look to them.
I'm concentrating on "scale and slow" for my new projects.

Rich

Quick Reply