Dec 27, 2011, 09:50 PM
DanPhillips
Thread OP
Discussion

Need advice – quiet indoor quad - newbie

I would like to build 12” – 14” indoor quad that is quiet. I’ve watched a lot of the videos on the site; some of the quads seem to be a lot quieter than others. I’ll be using a CC control unit and 9ch receiver, otherwise open. Need frame, motors, props, etc…
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2011, 10:07 PM
Suspended Account
Get HobbyKing blueseries ESC and change PWM frequency to 16kHz or reflash them with fast pwm firmwaree. That'll take out most of the whine you usually hear in ghetto quad builds.
Dec 27, 2011, 10:12 PM
Village Idiot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop
That'll take out most of the whine you usually hear in ghetto quad builds.
Hey!!
Dec 27, 2011, 10:51 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by danphillips
I would like to build 12” – 14” indoor quad that is quiet. I’ve watched a lot of the videos on the site; some of the quads seem to be a lot quieter than others. I’ll be using a CC control unit and 9ch receiver, otherwise open. Need frame, motors, props, etc…
That's a crap shoot. Some motors are louder than others. Mostly you want motors with low kV to swing big props at low RPM.

If you use small motors with high RPM the prop noise will be loud.
Dec 28, 2011, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop
That'll take out most of the whine you usually hear in ghetto quad builds.
Im ashamed now, because I own a Ghetto quad, with four hobbywing 20A esc's with stock programing. Maybe I should throw a set of Hubcaps on it and make it official.
Dec 28, 2011, 07:18 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaper
Im ashamed now, because I own a Ghetto quad, with four hobbywing 20A esc's with stock programing. Maybe I should throw a set of Hubcaps on it and make it official.
so does timecop

so do i

Ghetto quad isnt a bad thing
Dec 28, 2011, 07:41 AM
To do list for quiet multirotor:
Light airframe
Vibration absorbing material in the frame, like wood
Low RPM
Propellers mounted under the booms
Balanced propellers and motors
Fine tuned ESCs
Dec 28, 2011, 09:06 AM
DanPhillips
Thread OP

Tune ESC

How does one tune an ESC?
Dec 28, 2011, 09:11 AM
Suspended Account
Like switching it to 16khz pwm timing or reflashing.
Dec 28, 2011, 12:37 PM
DanPhillips
Thread OP
How does one change the timing - is it done via the controller board or is a special card required.
Dec 28, 2011, 02:21 PM
Emress
either by a programming card that connects to the ESC(easiest) or through your TX
Dec 28, 2011, 02:46 PM
Nek
Nek
DIY O.G.
Take a look at RCexplorer.se mini quad. I would think it would be the best platform for indoor flying and it can be built for damn cheap. I am sure it is a pretty quiet thing as well... Hope it helps!
Dec 28, 2011, 04:01 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHenning
To do list for quiet multirotor:
Light airframe
Vibration absorbing material in the frame, like wood
Low RPM
Propellers mounted under the booms
Balanced propellers and motors
Fine tuned ESCs
One more thing, use helium in a bag. I am not being funny. Can you imagine a multi rotor with a pancake helium filled bag on top. That can cut down the motor size and hardware requirement substantially. Since it is indoor there will be very little wind problem.
Dec 28, 2011, 07:17 PM
DanPhillips
Thread OP
i'm old and inexperienced, but a blimp is for the senile! Thanks for the suggestion.
Dec 28, 2011, 07:18 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
any micro motors are loud as hell. The 10g and A1510s are notoriously out of balance in my experience. Due to their vibrations you would need better motors. In my experience my polycarbonate bambucopter is the quietest by far out of a aluminum and a wood frame.

Quick Reply