Aug 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
Where did that tree come from?
This mornings flight with tail cam
SU-35 with POV cam on tail (1 min 53 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2012, 11:01 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
Nice vid, again I really enjoy seeing other pilots field. Seems your cam has a lil bit more zoom than mine does. How did you mount your cam?

Glad it didn't effect your flying or landing. My cam is 140g while yours is around 35g so that was definitely a big factor on addding mine to the back (still won't do it again) prefer the wing view.
Latest blog entry: Freewing Me262
Aug 29, 2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks. It's all velcro attached. I was hoping it would not fly off the jet.
Last edited by urrl; Aug 29, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Aug 29, 2012, 01:43 PM
https://youtube.com/RC4ever
Seems my "karma" is there only for thrust vector assists...

The more energy you have, the worst the outcome potential, just nice you're getting it back toghether so fine! Nice work there!

Cheers!
Aug 29, 2012, 01:59 PM
Put to much work into her paint, weathering, mods,, & stuff to just pull everything out start a new fuselage.
Aug 29, 2012, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin
Wing cam mounted (Jandro patent still pending lol!) on my SU showing the Airbrake functioning. TP90MG servo (metal geared) seems to hold the airbrakes position in flight better than the 9g nylon servo did. Also tested out my New Gforce Elite 5000mah 40C & have got to say for the price and weight 778g its a very good pack and delivers just as much performance as the Gens 5300mah. Dont forget 720p

http://youtu.be/N5-0moYKgbI
Very nice video. What camera did you use on the wing ?
Aug 29, 2012, 03:13 PM
John
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever
Great vids there JK! The sunset scenes were breath taking!
To me it just seems you fly always WOT or at least very hot, this jet glides amazingly try slow a bit down to get a more comfortable feel of it and to be able to fly safer in a larger flight envelope, start doing it at high altitude if you are not sure.

Now you see, and there is enough video proof, that TV control is a great aircraft saving device and very inteligent to leave it always on (And learn to fly that way) in order to get out of desperate situations!

Thanks V8, you can not imagine how hard I laughed at this

So sorry your Su has crashed, looked so nice... You land very hot too!

Cheers!
Jandro.
Good advice!! Thank you... I WILL start slowing her down a little bit. It'll also give my wife an easier time of keeping track of it.
Aug 29, 2012, 03:21 PM
Watts Up?
Hell guys I'm about to start on mine I just keep it stock. It's been awhile since I got back to RC. So what are some key issue on this jet? I was skimming back on threads. So the noise gear area is weak and need to be reinforce?
Aug 29, 2012, 03:53 PM
My nose gear was not that weak; it was the wing gear mostly. The mount for the nose gear IMO is reasonably strong. Nevertheless the back and forth wobble of the gear during take-offs was annoying and I took some advice and made a piece for the nose gear support rod assembly out of a piece of hot glue stick, which I hot glued in of course.

I have no doubt it helps support the landing gear. Others do this with a piece of wood glued in.

Land like you are doing it on egg shells with no quick turns after landing. Very fragile wing landing gear.

Do not use vector thrust on maiden take-off unless you've done it before and if you don't know how to disengage VT on take-off like me, dumb down the VT elevator movement; I did it through my transmitter, down to 40% for maiden. Now I fly all the time with VT, take-offs and landings, at 60% elevator movement and can do flat spins at that setting with ease every time.

I may be going overboard here but if I had those thin rubber disposable gloves I would use them during assembly. The jet attracts fingernail scratches and indentations.

Don't ever guess at how much battery power you have left during a flight.

Don't risk it when the wind picks up or landings may suffer. But then I guess some of these rules apply to most foamy aircraft.

I fly without any fuselage re-inforcement on my stock SU-35 but I obey my own rules.

Oh yeah, stock ESC's may overheat, but my Ram Air mod, which some disapprove of due to esthetic values, does work well and since I've had it there have been no ussues of overheating.

A sign of overheating for me was a slow down accompanied by an oscillating pitch in motor noise; the motor was alternately going fast, then slow during pretty much all of my flights. There is another work around; to open holes from the inside so that the ESC can get air from the fan intakes but I did what was simplest for me. The point that I must be flying in order to cool the ESC's is a moot one for me as I do not have the jet sitting with the engine running for any great length of time anyway; I just put the jet down and fly; so your choice, although it may be you never have to make that choice; your ESC's may work fine without any mods.

There are also other alternate tips that I'm sure others will bring up but I am very happy with my solutions listed here.
Last edited by urrl; Aug 29, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Aug 29, 2012, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin
Nice vid, again I really enjoy seeing other pilots field. Seems your cam has a lil bit more zoom than mine does. How did you mount your cam?

Glad it didn't effect your flying or landing. My cam is 140g while yours is around 35g so that was definitely a big factor on addding mine to the back (still won't do it again) prefer the wing view.
Where did you get your cam? Love the wide angle.
Aug 29, 2012, 05:33 PM
The new (recent) range of oleos at HobbyKing are top quality and hefty items! No leg rotation, and slide as smooth as silk. And.... cheap cost!

This is the one suited to the Su main gear, and if you look at your nose stock gear leg, it is pretty much that exact same construction. Much better than the stock anaemic main gear legs! Only $14 a pair....

They have a 5mm pin, so you either drill out the trunion, or turn down the pin to convert 'half' to 4mm for the stock trunion hole. You can "turn" down the pin fine with a drill and file....
I can't look now, and can't remember, if the stock retract is metal trunion or not - I don't think so. But if not I will change those too. All I remember is that the stock ones have a lot of slop! In the trunion, plus in the leg's rotation.

Oleo leg:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Class_1pc.html

Metal trunion retract pair:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ount_2pc_.html
Aug 29, 2012, 09:33 PM
Anyone know any store in USA to sell smoke canister to use on edf jet?
Aug 29, 2012, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylowfast
Very nice video. What camera did you use on the wing ?
Thanks! Love that view, like Jandro said, " Best view ever"

hobbyking 720p wing cam.
Aug 30, 2012, 01:16 AM

su35 in flight video

Front
SU 35 Trabucco (5 min 29 sec)

Rear
SU 35 Rear Trabucco (5 min 48 sec)
Aug 30, 2012, 01:37 AM
Rebuild is complete. I'll post pics and video tmrw after I take her up for the signature wing cam view (no more vert stab).

Quick Reply