Nov 21, 2012, 05:58 AM
I didn't do it...
Yea, screen flicker.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2012, 09:26 AM
https://youtube.com/RC4ever
Exams are over!
Ready to get back on the model planes!
(Not before getting some serious sleep though...)

:'DDDDD
Nov 21, 2012, 11:29 AM

Stock Fan Rotor

ANYONE KNOW ?
WILL ANY 70MM 6 BLADE 4mm ROTOR WORK ?

Thanks !
Nov 21, 2012, 01:32 PM
I didn't do it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecopey
ANYONE KNOW ?
WILL ANY 70MM 6 BLADE 4mm ROTOR WORK ?

Thanks !
Sorry, I do not know. I just pushed the "order" button. Please BH, be good to me. I have been through enough the last couple of weeks.
Nov 21, 2012, 02:07 PM
Where did that tree come from?
Some interesting news; Mr RC Sound should have a module that contains a jet sound for sale next Monday. Don't see how it will be able to drown out the twin 70mm sound of the SU-35 but even if it will help the SU to sound more realistic I think it might be worth looking into. I love the way the Budget "A" module sounds in my Stuka.
RC JU-87 Stuka Nice Flight (5 min 20 sec)

He should have an example of the jet sound module before Monday.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...726215&page=43
Nov 21, 2012, 04:57 PM
I guess it was a silly idea... in hindsight....

Another great morning, so off I went with the Su (and others), to see how it would fly with it all 'properly' set up this time.
I decided to fly it first, so that if it crashed I would have other planes to fly (batteries still) and help forget about that! LOL

I had zero doubts that it would fly, so I was very confident!!
Unfortunately that was an incorrect assumption.....

By the end of the runway (22m) it was not even suggesting it would lift-off, which worried me just a bit, because once it hits the main grass area it is going to suffer a ton more drag. So I left it at WOT and switched in the 'take-off mode' - elevator and TV up angles - and nothing changed..... it just kept barreling ahead and stuck to the ground by the looks!
"Full UP!!!!"..... to no avail, not a flinch!!!

By now, after the initial 22m and another 30m or so, the fence was approaching fast! I guess by the time I cut the power to 0% - in the one instant of aborting the attempt - it was already too close to running out of room.
Hmmmm, I can see it is not decelerating anywhere near enough.... so it hit one of the fence posts at a reasonable speed still.

The wing was not happy.....
It sheared off the mounts and departed on its own flight path.
The alloy spar was not happy.... bent and crumpled. The rest of the plane was fine really, so it was just a big dent in the midway leading edge where it hit, and the broken mounts/spar.

So looking at it sitting there I decided 'You should have given up sooner......".
sigh
Nov 21, 2012, 05:12 PM
I didn't do it...
Wow! I wonder what happened??? I have seen this thing take-off on full grass runways with no problems. Looking at your post count, I'm pretty sure you weren't that nose heavy.

Freewing SU-35 Twin 70mm EDF Jet With 360degree Thrust Vectoring (4 min 33 sec)
Nov 21, 2012, 05:30 PM
3DHOG
that grass looks pretty tight, I think anything would take off from that putting green lol!!
Last edited by jcdfrd; Nov 21, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Nov 21, 2012, 06:06 PM
Yes, that is very 'nice' grass there! Though the oval I was at was recently mown and it looks a lot like that grass... just not quite as short and compacted.
The 22 metres of 'perfect' synthetic grass should have been enough - and was the other day - and that was with the TV down thrust issue and being nose heavy too!! Thus why I was totally confident it would take-off without question today!

It is baffling why it didn't.
And I also would have thought the 'second stage' of "Oh oh, it is not in the air by the end of the main runway, so activate take-off TV and Elevator NOW!!" would have done its job then.
But no......
And it was moving FAST really.... fast enough to fly fine if it was in the air.

The other day, seeing it was already light and as good as airborne by the very end of the hard runway, which is also without the "bobbling" caused by rougher ground/grass, it didn't need to take-off like that above video at all. No 'jump' into a climb angle, it just rose away into a nice gradual climb that I myself then made 'exponential' so that it would clear the tree-line that is just after the fence-line. And both take-offs - with and without Flaperons - were as good as identical. So on those take-offs it wasn't 'stuck down' at all, and made me believe the raised nose gear rake had moved it to a nice positive AoA to create that take-off ease.
But it seems not......

I have a bit more power than that stock Su..... but I also have more weight (3450g). It looks like that one above needed about 30m to 40m for its take-off, which I would expect for grass.

This Su, and my "Unable to fly F-22 Raptor" are the two worst planes I have!! LOL
Both struggle big time to get into the air.... the Su OK if you have a long run, but the F-22 has failed in 6 take-off attempts. no matter how long a run it got! It has a marginal AoA rake that I implemented in my retract installation - but seemingly not enough anyway.
One interesting thing about those two is that they BOTH have "underslung" duct inlets - no cheaters on the F-22 though.
But when I run them up statically and lift them myself, there is negligible / imperceptible suction resisting them being lifted up, so I can't see that it could be enough to matter for a lift-off.

Now I will pretty certainly have to glue my wing(s) on........
I never pull any planes apart anyway, so that won't matter.
So hopefully Saturday morning will be the next retry. And I won't be as confident again this time, thanks to today's flop.
Hmmmm..... I also was feeling 'lazy' as I initially began to head out from the fence-line, thinking I might just take-off from that near fence-line across the rougher grass, to save walking out to the middle of it for the better 'runway'.... it probably would have all been fine if I had been lazy!!
Last edited by PeterVRC; Nov 21, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Nov 21, 2012, 06:10 PM
Oh, now that I think about it, the Me-262 probably has the closest ducting inlets to the ground of them all, and it has no issues. But also has a more conventional wing that probably generates more lift sooner too.
Nov 21, 2012, 08:10 PM
Very sorry to hear that Peter.

Vacationing at my parents house in Georgia. I had to remove my jet from the SUV to make room for Mom and Pop as we went to visit my Sister so I put the jet in their living room. When we got back to their house I offered to put the jet back in my SUV but Mom wanted it to stay in the living room, commenting it looked nice there.

Happy Turkey day guys.
Last edited by urrl; Nov 21, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Nov 21, 2012, 08:23 PM
3DHOG
we need to give that mom extra hugs and kisses
Nov 21, 2012, 08:32 PM
That's a fairly big lounge room, so it fits in fine without overly affecting anyone!
Just watch out they don't use it as a foot rest!
Nov 21, 2012, 08:33 PM
I have a short piece of white tape exactly on the same place on the main wings to mark where I put my fingers under the taped edge to balance the jet. If it is not balanced I adjust the jet's battery accordingly. I never take off without doing this. Without the missiles this jet hops into the air and floats to a landing easily.

You might want to test your CG the same way I test mine simply to see if our distances agree. The guy who video taped my Stuka, which I posted, taped my SU-35 the same day and hopefully he will post my flight soon so you can see what I am talking about.
Nov 21, 2012, 08:51 PM
Under the wings there is a small square "hole", right at the wing joint line, which is right on 155mm - the very front edge of that hole. So it is easy to just feel under there with your 'balance finger', and get to that known CofG value point. And then you can also easily work out how far it is away from that known point, if it was not balanced there.

Most planes have some 'shape' or something, right at or near the CofG point.... you just look and find something. Otherwise, yes.... place some tape, or a permanent ink mark etc.
Sometimes I make a 'dimple'/domed dent, to use.... because it is best to have something you can feel for and use, than need to visually see something and align it to fingers etc.

If I had gone to "Full TV and ailevons" (flight mode 2), it would most likely have then leapt into the air. But the time frame from "end of normal take-off runway", to "Taking too long, switch to take-off mode", and THEN "Oh oh, it is NOT taking off and time is running out", doesn't leave that chance for the next move - to flight mode 2. By then it was "ABORT ABORT" time!! LOL

Quick Reply