Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Video is not working for me.
new link posted !
Aug 26, 2015, 06:06 AM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
Quote:
Originally Posted by walou12 View Post
new link posted !
...not with a needle and a sledge hammer....
Latest blog entry: New T-One Mini Turbine...
Aug 26, 2015, 01:08 PM
Corsair Captain
Ha Ha,,, That was close.
Aug 27, 2015, 08:01 AM
Hi, calling all geniuses, need help again...
"Maidened" my Taranis on the '35 this morning ...... Again two dogs, but with a bloke this time, for spectators!! (not so envious of Phaedra now that her runway length is decimated)

Took off OK........VT on and off in flight had no discernible change whatsoever. It flew well with good solid responses to input.
I set up a low approach on about a third power then powered down about two feet off the deck when the AoA increased surprisingly. I caught it OK with a wee bit of down and it settled nicely on the mains then the n/w ( really nicely). My reading is to shift the cg forward a shade to lower the nose at low power and add 1% up elevator to compensate at power on.

Appreciate you guys take on this.
Aug 27, 2015, 08:42 AM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
Quote:
Originally Posted by locharrow View Post
Hi, calling all geniuses, need help again...
"Maidened" my Taranis on the '35 this morning ...... Again two dogs, but with a bloke this time, for spectators!! (not so envious of Phaedra now that her runway length is decimated)

Took off OK........VT on and off in flight had no discernible change whatsoever. It flew well with good solid responses to input.
I set up a low approach on about a third power then powered down about two feet off the deck when the AoA increased surprisingly. I caught it OK with a wee bit of down and it settled nicely on the mains then the n/w ( really nicely). My reading is to shift the cg forward a shade to lower the nose at low power and add 1% up elevator to compensate at power on.

Appreciate you guys take on this.
First off....leave TV on always. Don't worry, don't argue, just do it. Numerous discussions and lessons learned have been posted already in the 20,000+ posts in this thread. If you have a problem with TV when it's on vs. off, then your thrust line needs adjusting. The control surface throws, trims, expo will have FAR more effect on how this aircraft flies than TV. You won't even notice TV until you start doing crazy stuff.

From your description, you might have a thrust angle issue if the AOA changes with power. Otherwise, with this aircraft, you've got to get in the habit of not touching the elevator (okay...a very light touch) during landing. Flaps or not, power or not, if you up elevator it's going to do what you describe. The only exception to this is if you've already got the aircraft in a high-alpha AOA to bleed speed and shorten landing roll.

Hope this helps.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:03 AM
Thanks T3...

Hear what you say but don't think thrust line is the issue. If anything it is a couple of %s up which in itself would initiate a slight nose down on power off. I'll move the cg forward a bit and take off some up in the el/flap mix and see if my "theory" holds water.

Have an F18 that porpoises violently on power off yet flies like a dream otherwise ???????? Might take up bird watching ..........................
Aug 27, 2015, 10:16 AM
Thread OP
I only turn on TV when I need or want it. Plane flies just fine without it. Has nothing to do with thrust alignment and what not. And I think such a blanket statement is kind of irresponsible, especially if someone is maidening or unfamiliar with thrust-vectoring. Not everyone flies the same way.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:48 AM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
I only turn on TV when I need or want it. Plane flies just fine without it. Has nothing to do with thrust alignment and what not. And I think such a blanket statement is kind of irresponsible, especially if someone is maidening or unfamiliar with thrust-vectoring. Not everyone flies the same way.
TV only helps IMO. It has no bad tendencies other than if a servo fails or the servos over load the BEC. Other than that I agree with keeping it on all the time. Once you get more flight time on the 35 you will appreciate the TV! Most pilots who have flown her for a while will agree to having TV on all the time. I don't think it's irresponsible - in fact, it's helpful to have it on. Nothing special or dramatic with TV. Don't be afraid of it - it's your friend !
Aug 27, 2015, 10:57 AM
Corsair Captain
You said it nosed up when you let off the throttle right? That tells me that you have down thrust pushing nose down with throttle on. The fact that your nose goes up with no power MAY also mean tail heavy. I would try gliding from high up at slow speed and see if the nose will drop or raise. Trim it until the nose slowly drops. Then apply throttle and see which way the nose goes. Adjust thrust line accordingly.
Hope I've explained it well enough that we don't get another 20 paragraphs about it. LOL
Aug 27, 2015, 11:14 AM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
You said it nosed up when you let off the throttle right? That tells me that you have down thrust pushing nose down with throttle on. The fact that your nose goes up with no power MAY also mean tail heavy. I would try gliding from high up at slow speed and see if the nose will drop or raise. Trim it until the nose slowly drops. Then apply throttle and see which way the nose goes. Adjust thrust line accordingly.
Hope I've explained it well enough that we don't get another 20 paragraphs about it. LOL
Lol - perfect but wait till Peter wakes up!!
Aug 27, 2015, 12:00 PM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
Quote:
Has nothing to do with thrust alignment and what not.
Power off = nose goes up. How is that NOT thrust line?

Quote:
I only turn on TV when I need or want it. Plane flies just fine without it. .... And I think such a blanket statement is kind of irresponsible, especially if someone is maidening or unfamiliar with thrust-vectoring. Not everyone flies the same way.
I've said it before numerous times and I'll say it again. It's accurate and legitimate. There have been quite a few discussions in recent months on this thread.

Unless you really want to be screwing around with switches during flight, there is absolutely no reason not to have it on 100% of the time. You're only adding more possibility of some mix-up or pilot error because you forgot that it was on or off. This airframe was designed for TV...why circumvent that with over complicating switch fiddling?

There's nothing irresponsible about the truth.
Last edited by T3chDad; Aug 27, 2015 at 12:06 PM.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:42 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
Locharrow: you're going to do what you're going to do but you haven't specified your CG or your stab trim position or even shown your thrust line alignment.
Any and or all of those can contribute in small ways but also do it a few more times to confirm it wasn't just a small gust in ground effect.

Most have the routine down but advising for or against moving to more nose heavy would need us knowing where your CG is now. CG170mm is very flyable as many attest without your concern. So if you're at say 150 and think moving it forward will help, it's really just masking the problem and minimizing your flight envelope. But if all you're doing is that perfect landing then have at it.

Just for yourself though confirm that it's properly power off trimmed and then do a vertical power on hand off climb to see if the thrust line isn't getting you a little squirrely.

As for thrust vectoring, another thing you didn't mention was, was it on or off when you were landing. This all could be your thrust line and stab trim are too far off from each other or have very different travel ratios that could also have it slightly off from your glide flare....

Just keep in mind there are many pilots on this model so it's less likely for yours to be any different unless you're doing something different..... which is up to you informing us with a little more info.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:54 PM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
Good points Max.

I'm sick of you being the voice of reason... j/k

Quick Reply