Dec 26, 2011, 09:05 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Freewing Su-35 (Vendor-independent; please read 1st post and stay on-topic)

Welcome to this Freewing Su-35 discussion thread!

ABOUT THIS THREAD
Although this thread is not moderated, please limit discussion specifically to the RC jet and its manufacturer. Take vendor complaints to the appropriate forum. This thread will not be closed to censor replies, but "Too bad, so sad, take it to the vendor forum" nag will be (generously) applied when appropriate - feel free to bash Freewing 'cause they made the jet, but you picked who you bought it from, lick your wounds/grind your axe elsewhere. Let's please be civil and avoid ad hominem criticisms and insults. Try taking a break, stepping away from the computer, and cooling down before replying to something you feel strongly about - sometimes the best thing is to agree to disagree. You can also take the exchange to private messages, then bring the resolution, if any, back to the thread.

Vendor-by-vendor offerings and variations are relevant topics of discussion. "Vendors X, Y and Z customer service sucks", "I'll never spend my money with X, Y and Z" and "I can't believe FW deals with them" are not. Rule-of-thumb: If it's starting to sound like a vendor rant/gush, it probably doesn't belong. Price reductions, sales, and availability as statements of fact are allowed, but no vendor pitches, please.

Basic facts will be added to this root post as they become available (e.g. center of gravity, control throws, etc).

Manufacturer: http://www.sz-freewing.com/

Currently availability:Note: Shipping cost varies, VAT refund may be applicable!

Specifications:

Kit:
  • Comes in "Standard" (2300g thrust) and "3D Sport" (3000g thrust) versions
  • Foam type: EPS (source: v8truckin)
  • Wingspan: 1080mm (42.5 in)
  • Length: 1630mm (64.2 in)
  • EDF Diameter: 2x 70mm, 6-bladed, counter-rotating fans
  • Retract: Servoless retract system
  • Servo: 9X 9g micro servos & 2X 17g servos, door sequencer
  • Thrust vectoring: Yes (2-axis, kit & PNP 3D Sport version only)
  • Rudder: Yes (kit & PNP 3D Sport version only)
  • Detachable wings: Yes (wings, elevators, rudders)
Electronics (varies by vendor/version):
  • Drive System: 2x 2200-3300KV Outrunner Brushless Motors
  • ESC: 2x 50-60A Brushless speed controller
  • BEC: 5A BEC
  • Battery: 22.2V 4S (Standard)/6S (3D Sport) 3500-4400mAh 20-25C Li-Polymer
  • Radio: 6-9Ch
Flying weight/All-Up-Weight (AUW):
  • Flying Weight: 2400-3000g
Hints/Tips/Recommendations:
  • Center-of-gravity: 145-155mm, referenced from the tip of the wing root (source: v8truckin)
  • Control throws: TBD
  • Expo settings: TBD
Related threads/links:

Brand New SU-35! 70x2,TV and made by Freewing!Update:Worldwide Availability (thread closed)

Vendor forums (rants/complaints go here!):
Last edited by fredmdbud; Sep 12, 2016 at 11:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2011, 09:30 PM
Reserved...
Dec 26, 2011, 09:31 PM
all EDF related with this Jet Su-35

no gimmick?

fred
Last edited by Flazo; Dec 26, 2011 at 09:36 PM.
Dec 26, 2011, 09:42 PM
Thread OP
Basic facts will be added to the root post as they become available (e.g. center of gravity, control throws, etc). Thread will not be closed, can't censor replies, but "Too bad, so sad, take it to the vendor forum" nag will be (generously) applied when appropriate - bash Freewing 'cause they made the jet, but you picked who you bought it from, lick your wounds/grind your axe elsewhere.

Vendor-by-vendor variations are relevant topics of discussion. "Vendors X, Y and Z customer service sucks", "I'll never spend my money with X, Y and Z" and "I can't believe FW deals with them" are not.
Last edited by fredmdbud; Dec 26, 2011 at 09:50 PM.
Dec 26, 2011, 10:46 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
Subscribed!

Thanks Fred!

I'll be posting pics & hopefully a flight vid by wknd.
Latest blog entry: Freewing Me262
Dec 27, 2011, 01:25 AM
He builds stuff. :)
Great idea!
Dec 27, 2011, 07:23 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
I am excited for this bird...... Good idea to make a thread actually about the model..... maybe it will rule out some of the self important bozos who think they are doing everyone a favor.
Dec 27, 2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks to FredMeister !
Dec 27, 2011, 11:34 AM
You are a "go" for reentry

FW SU-35BM (S) 2011.12 Version 1 - Frame only

EDF Units: Standard 70mm EDF with cw and ccw 5 blade rotors.

EDF mount area and duct dia:
Inlet 80mm
EDF Mount 74mm
Aft EDF exit 70mm
TV Nozzle 60mm
CS fan units are slightly longer and will require sanding into position.
Duct does have two choke points at the gear mount and wing spar. In board cheats were likely added likely to compensate

Special Consideration should be given with Frame Only model setup. Trying to maintain CG while adding heavier motors wire servos etc in the tail makes it harder to CG unless going to a larger battery because the battery can't be moved forward of the bulk head which has the nose gear retract mounted.
For build considerations the ESC's are set far forward in a center vent at cg giving a motor wire length of 380mm. This is hard on the motor wires and is above recommended limits especially in power levels are increased.
Stock uses 14awg but draws only 45+ amps. Many 70mm setup with more power go up in amps ~60+amps giving consideration to 12AWG at that length which again increases weight in the tail make cg that much more challenging.

Sample Setups:
V8's Initial sample setup SU-35 AUW 3178g (7 lbs) (e.g. 5000mah lipo, 2x80a esc's, 2200kv 2839 x 2 motors, 10awg wire between esc & battery, 13awg wire from esc to motors)

Motors: 3D 2849-2200kv ~47amps ea. Purple Power (BH)
Stock 2200kv motor: 100g, w/ fan: 175g

Drive train placement:
Battery to motors is ~580mm
Battery to recommended ESC postions ~150mm
ESC to Motors ~ 380mm
ESC is not in the duct air stream but in the center channel with various ventalation driven by the EDF suction.

Battery Bay Dimensions/Weight limit: 200mm L x 58mm W x 75mm H front 65mm H rear

Battery Recommendations: Select this link to Battery List W/ Weights, Amps Outputs & Vid performance footage. Both stock and others will benefit from heavier batteries to compensate for CG.
4000mAh 650g batts have been reported as CG-160mm and had 3min basic flight times.
4600-5000mAh 750g-800g can CG 155mm-145mm but are heavier. They were reported to have 4min flights with vertical and speed passes.
5000mAh+ 800g+ batteries with High C counts have been reported to perform 3D well.

Most pilots in the first few months of release are finding batteries in the 700g to 750g with above 140 amp outputs to be a good all around battery.
Basic batteries like the Turnigy 5000 30C also showed surprising results at the beginning of the flight.
Thus battery choices may vary depending on your flying style; Easy level passes, High Speed passes, Repeating verticals and 3D.

Recommended CG: from wing root on fuse, 145mm - 155mm.
A good reference for 155mm CG position is the LE of the box hole that connects
the aileron radio wire to the wing.

Landing Gear: Standard FW Etracts used on F-18, Euro etc. These match PZ15090 but struts take 4mm shaft rod.
Very nice struts. The provided FW retracts do have play in them.The picture below demonstrated either swaping an PZ15090 Metal Trunnion retract with the Freewing or putting the metal trunnion in the FW Etract.
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Feb 04, 2012 at 12:47 AM.
Dec 27, 2011, 02:01 PM
subbed. can't wait to see what this thing can really do.

Rich
Dec 27, 2011, 03:30 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
I'll post asap hopefully this evening. Have a dr. Appointment & a flying appointment after the dr. !!! But I will do the best I can with the pics & specs. I will also post the build. I'm still waiting on my bec & hs-65mg servos to arrive. Other than that I'm set.
Latest blog entry: Freewing Me262
Dec 27, 2011, 04:04 PM
Is there any chance a few of these will be at the AMA show in Ontario California in January?
Dec 27, 2011, 04:10 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
You may want to ask Pete at BH. This is one of the first releases where the thread is ahead of even knowing who the vendors are. So its hard to say who will be where to promote this at any show. And thats getting back to asking about the vendors and what they may or may not be doing. Try asking BH vendor down in their forum.
Dec 27, 2011, 06:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle
You may want to ask Pete at BH. This is one of the first releases where the thread is ahead of even knowing who the vendors are. So its hard to say who will be where to promote this at any show. And thats getting back to asking about the vendors and what they may or may not be doing. Try asking BH vendor down in their forum.
I think this qualifies as a "vendor offering" tidbit. Please do share what you find out!
Last edited by fredmdbud; Dec 27, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Dec 27, 2011, 07:22 PM
Thread OP
Links to related threads/links can be added to the root post. If you see one that is worth a look, let me know!

Quick Reply