Graupner "Update" SAL/DLG - RC Groups
Oct 03, 2003, 05:47 AM
...thermal ? ...where ?

Graupner "Update" SAL/DLG

Hello people,
I'm going to have a great deal on a new "Update" SAL/DLG by Graupner.

I've made a search in these pages but found none, is there anyone of you with an idea about it ? how it flies, etc. etc. ?

Thanks for your info.
Emanuele

PS This is the Graupner "Update" page:

UPDATE part.no 4536

RC glider. For 3-function radio control. For hand-launch, bungee launch and slope. Pack of ready-made components and linkage hardware pack.

Product information
The UPDATE is a thoroughbred SAL-HLG (side-arm-launching hand-launch glider). At the design stage we were anxious that this model should satisfy the special requirements which are made on the new generation of HLGs. The latest HLGs are no longer simply hurled upwards like a javelin, but launched discus-style, using a rotary movement. This new method of launching gives greater launch height and therefore longer flight times. UPDATE can be launched equally well by right-handed and left-handed modellers. On a flat field the model can either be hand-launched using the SAL technique, or brought up to gliding height by a bungee or winch. Micro-Power servos are required for rudder, elevator and both ailerons, and the control system requires a suitable mixer at the transmitter. The GRP/CFRP fuselage, GRP/CFRP wing and machined tail panels ensure that the model can be assembled quickly.

Contents of the quick-build pack
Clear assembly instructions in German, English and French, including stage photos and notes on the side arm launching method, GRP / CFRP fuselage nose pod, tail boom, tail mount, GRP/CFRP wing, GRP canopy, machined tailplane and fin, covering film, towhook, CFRP SAL-launching peg, linkage hardware pack.

RC functions
Rudder Elevator Ailerons

Specification
Wingspan approx. 1500 mm
Overall length approx. 1088 mm
Wing section 1125 mm
Wing area approx. HQ/W 2.0/7.5
Tailplane area approx. 21 dmē
Total surface area approx. 2.6 dmē
All-up weight approx. 23.6 dmē
Total surface area loading approx. 320 g
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2003, 06:56 AM
...thermal ? ...where ?
No one here ?
OK, I will put the question in a different way.
Does anyone know if and where there is a review on such glider ? what magasine ? S&E modeler ? or else ?
Thanks.
Emanuele
Oct 06, 2003, 07:58 AM
Dear Emanuele,

Sorry we've not responded. I've never heard of it, and I suspect that's true of others.

The proportions look about typical and the wing loading is not the best, but is typical of 2nd level gliders (if it builds as light as advertised!). The airfoil, though not mentioned is probably not the AG45-47 series, which are typical of most of the best ships.

Similar ships of which much is known and in older posts on this list are the Enigma/Highlight/Discus 150 (same plane; different names in different markets), which you can probably find in Italy. The risk with these 2nd level ships is in too much cost being removed from the design, resulting in structural failures when throwing or in hard landings.

You might buy this one, and be the tested for the list, as others of us had done. You could buy the Enigma and make the recommended changes. You might check out the Fireworks III (http://www.pcm.at/fireworks/), which is probably a much better glider, with the latest airfoils.

Good luck, whichever you choose. Please let us know your decision, and give us occassional updates.

Peace,

Marc
Oct 06, 2003, 09:15 AM
...thermal ? ...where ?
Thank you very much, Marc.
I've just got a short e-mail from Werner in Austria stating
Quote:
FORGET the UPDATE !
I have seen few of them at contests: Very heavy (> 380 g) , very expensive, looks quite good but poor performer for contest flying...
regards
Werner
Actually it is expensive, really, and so I stopped my order. Sorry.

When I spend my little money earned so hardly I want/must be more than 100% happy with my purchase.

So I will continue to read this list and surfing the web to find a good plane for me. I will for sure check your link.

By the way, what is a 2nd generation HLG ? what is the 1st ?

Thanks a lot.
Emanuele
Oct 06, 2003, 09:29 AM
HI,

Why not make your own DLG ?

Do you have access to carbon tubes ( for the boom - 6mm from Decathlon will work).

Can you cut foam cores - you don't have to skin them using glass and bags - there are other methods ???
Oct 06, 2003, 09:47 AM
Dear Emanuele,

What's your budget for a first DLG (if you're thinking kit)? There seem to be one or two best ones at any price point.

Are you looking to compete? What sort of flying sites will you be frequenting; flat, thermalling sites; slope sites; a combination? (FYI, all these airplanes can be flown in a soccer field size site.) What's your level of flying and sailplane experience? What's your building experience in composites and/or wood?

Best,

Marc
Oct 06, 2003, 10:57 AM
...thermal ? ...where ?
Thank you all.

First answer:
I think I have decent building abilities with balsa, never tried with epoxy and stuff. I used to build my models before wedding. I fly electric, I have a Bandit, so speed is not a problem, but here we are talking another language. I also have a thermal ship, Rapid by Reichard, but don't fly it often.

Second:
no time for DIY, with two kids+wife time is close to zero and I spend it flying rather than building.

Third:
I suppose I will fly it from the flat, and thermal activity is good in summer and now much less.
My budget, well, I don't know, I suppose around 150$ ??

Thanks,
Emanuele

Ah, yes, there is a Decathlon close to where I live.
Oct 06, 2003, 11:14 AM
Ah! A fellow full-scale pilot.

Given your situation and location, I'd try to find the Highlight/Discus 150 (http://www.airtech-rc.com/modelesreduits/fr/discus.htm) (Enigma in US, and usually referred to as such on this list). It might be available that cheaply there, and it's a good compromise ship. Don't make any holes in the boom, and you might want to wrap it with kevlar thread, as mentioned elsewhere on this list. Also, reinforce the lower fin slightly and put some small carbon rods down the sides of the pod.

Good luck,

Marc
Oct 06, 2003, 05:35 PM
Emanuale,

Check out the Italian F3K (DLG) site: http://f3k.f3k.it/or4-6/or?uid=f3k.client.index

Marc
Oct 06, 2003, 10:12 PM

Other sites

In addition to this site, please look into two Yahoo groups. The first is called SALGlider. The second is called Allegro-Lite. Both have many threads, files and photos. Another site is: www.rcuniverse.com .

For a first ship, you could look at the Hyper DL. The site is www.arthobby.com .

Good Luck,

Wayne
Oct 07, 2003, 01:44 AM
Hi Emanuele!

You may also take a look at the Slingshot from Ralf Lindert, a german F3K contest pilot: Slingshot (german page).
The kit price is within your budget at 119,- EUROs. It uses the AGxx airfoils from Mark Drela. Unlike most other european designs, its not a hollow molded but a bagged wing (glass over foam) design. To me, that looks like a good plane for starting F3K flying.
Greetings from Austria,
Matthias
Oct 07, 2003, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MGerstgrasser
Hi Emanuele!

You may also take a look at the Slingshot from Ralf Lindert, a german F3K contest pilot: Slingshot (german page).
The kit price is within your budget at 119,- EUROs. It uses the AGxx airfoils from Mark Drela. Unlike most other european designs, its not a hollow molded but a bagged wing (glass over foam) design. To me, that looks like a good plane for starting F3K flying.
Greetings from Austria,
Matthias
Emanuele,

This indeed looks very promising, a significant upgrade from Lindert's past offerings (and worthy of consideration by US flyers. I had gotten pricing from Lindert's importer on their previous model; The Slingshot would be much more than 119 Euros once imported, but might still be less than Icare's Osiris.)

Best,

Marc
Oct 07, 2003, 04:42 AM
Hi again,

Just got an email from Ralf Lindert about the Slingshot:
Slingshot 2 is no longer available from Ralf Lindert directly. New distributer is Jochen Causeman (Link). It should be available there in approx 2 weeks from now. (Its not yet listet in the Shop)
Greets
Matthias
Oct 07, 2003, 04:51 AM
...thermal ? ...where ?
Thank you for all your valuable suggestions.
I'll check the links and come back.
Emanuele
Oct 07, 2003, 05:22 AM
...thermal ? ...where ?
Matthias,
I checked your F3K/HLG pics on your web page: lovely place to fly models. I like it very much, you are lucky if it is close to where you live.

Quick Reply