Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 24, 2011, 09:29 AM
Discussion

Micro Shrike Build Thread (was Mystery Build Thread)

Last night I finished up the Micro Bridi trainer build thread (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1553198), cleaned up the workbench, and decided to start building more.

Let's see if you can figure out what I'm building this time. A few hints:

1) power will be Park 180, and
2) I've built 3 of the same basic plane in the past.

There are a couple people who I already told - don't spoil the fun!

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2011, 10:51 AM
Villain Extraordinaire
My life is so boring that a mystery build is right up my alley. My first question : you say firewallS...if this isn't a typo then I'm to assume those are engine nacells?
Dec 24, 2011, 11:03 AM
Oh, that would be too big a hint if I answered that question!

Andy
Dec 24, 2011, 11:59 AM
A small 310?
Dec 24, 2011, 12:07 PM
A little progress made. I'm being slowed down by making preps to get a little flying in this afternoon. My son wants to get his first flight on his E-Flite P-51B.
Dec 24, 2011, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy
A small 310?
Well, do I win a prize?
Dec 24, 2011, 01:44 PM
You gotta get it right before you can win anything!

Andy

No prizes except 10 seconds of glory to bask in
Dec 24, 2011, 02:06 PM
And from way out in left field. A C-130 would be my first guess, second would be a BF-110. Or are those just two that I would like to have?
Dec 24, 2011, 02:21 PM
Those must just be what you want. The shape is all wrong for nacelles for either of them.

It will be hand-launch only this time due to the size. Previously I have made versions both hand-launch and with retracts. I'm using a 3000kV motor. Construction - so far - is pretty close to the kit version.

I am about to make hatches to fill the open areas in the photo.

Keep guessing. (Google would tell you more about my favorite planes.)

Andy
Dec 24, 2011, 03:31 PM
The hatch is made by having a curved sides that fit inside the top. Here you can see them labeled AR, AL, BR, and BL - for the Left and Right sides for both A and B units. This is one place where you can really use HARD balsa!

Thin clear tape is used to mask out all the areas where I don't want the sheeting to stay glued down, which includes any surface that the sheeting will touch the main structure.

The hatch formers are pinned in place tightly against the 1/8" square rails already there. We want them to be snug against them later on when we fly, so now is the best time to achieve that.
Last edited by AndyKunz; Dec 24, 2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Add a photo.
Dec 24, 2011, 05:14 PM
One of the unique features of this build is that I have to make 4 of each rib. These were stacked and trimmed to the paper patterns that were attached with #77 spray. Later on I will be making false ribs to help serve as mounts for the aileron servos in the wings.
Dec 24, 2011, 08:46 PM
After the glue dried, I sanded the excess to make the hatch sides flush and square. After that I sanded the corners round. Finally I double-glued the hatch itself, but only on the inner sides where it wouldn't create a clearance issue with the body.

Any more guesses on what I'm building here?

Andy
Dec 24, 2011, 10:09 PM
Villain Extraordinaire
The only other thing I can think of is those are floats...maybe a Short 184, but there wouldn't be retractable landing gear on the thing. In short (no pun intended) I still haven't a clue. And checking on Google would be cheating - in my opinion.
Dec 24, 2011, 10:42 PM
Aero Commander Shrike
Dec 25, 2011, 05:05 AM
No substitue for watts!
Biplane twin with retracts? A Curtis Condor II?

Tom