Mar 14, 2012, 01:28 PM
11.4lbs. I trust the scale I used but you never know. It was put on a diet after my little fight with the forest next to our club airstrip. Think I should be around 10.8 ish now if I'm lucky.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2012, 01:36 PM
Team Futaba
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffcub View Post
11.4lbs. I trust the scale I used but you never know. It was put on a diet after my little fight with the forest next to our club airstrip. Think I should be around 10.8 ish now if I'm lucky.
I am surprised at the varying weights the kit built Corsairs are coming in at, I am curious to see what other peoples ARF's weigh.
Mar 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
I know! I defecated a masonry unit after seeing mine. Others are just around the high 9's or low 10's. Also word to people..... My prop selection was not the best so flying was not the best as you can see from the results.
Mar 14, 2012, 06:39 PM
Nice job flying and landing. Great roll out. Thanks for the review. My kit just arrived the other day and I'm hoping to start it soon.
Mar 14, 2012, 07:39 PM
Team Futaba
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrc78 View Post
Nice job flying and landing. Great roll out. Thanks for the review. My kit just arrived the other day and I'm hoping to start it soon.
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it, hope you have lots of fun with yours!
Mar 15, 2012, 07:14 AM
i upgraded to Greatplanes pivot point hinges. u can find them on ebay for less then $2.00 with shipping for 6 hinges. so its less then $6.00 for the hole plane. That is what i do. but that me. just thought i could help.
Mar 15, 2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer View Post
Hi Chris:
Any recommendations on how you would convert this plane from Power to Electric? Mike Heer
Has anyone investigated this ARF to see if there is a hidden battery hatch under the covering like the Top Flite P-47 ARF has?

Brad
Mar 15, 2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by byoung View Post
Has anyone investigated this ARF to see if there is a hidden battery hatch under the covering like the Top Flite P-47 ARF has?
Brad
I have: there is none.

Problem with Factory Installed Flaps:
Just recieved mine 3/14/2012. Checking it over, only problem I found was incorrect hinge was used on the left, inboard flap, rendering the flap immovable. "Incorrect hinge?" you may ask, it appears that the Robart type hinge points have 2 versions: each version has alignment tabs which need to be parallel to the wing. Each 'version' actually has the hinge line offset from the alignment tabs, so the the flaps do not actually move 90 deg from the wing centerline. The problem on mine is that the inboard and outboard flaps NEED to have the same versions, so the the flaps can move freely: well my left inboard has the 2 DIFFERENT versions, so that if one attempts to move the flap, the hinges try to move in differnt directions and work against each other.
Now the flaps that are attached to the 'gull' area have bth version, and it works there because the wing as at different angles along the flap line.

Anyway, I have sent email to Tower requesting replacement of wing center section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
I am surprised at the varying weights the kit built Corsairs are coming in at, I am curious to see what other peoples ARF's weigh.
So many ways to finish a kit. My guess is anything much over 10 lbs does not utilize iron on covering/ is 'glassed and painted. Technique is the answer: some are able to 'glass and paint a model and still keep it light, others either are not or don't care. I've flown several MonoKoted TF Corsairs, ALL ended up under 10 lbs, even the one with full retracting gear (inclding tailwheel), fuctional flaps, AND a pair of fuctional Votac bomb drops. BTW: that one was nicely powered by a Saito .82.
Last edited by CorsairJock; Mar 15, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Mar 15, 2012, 11:08 AM
Like I said: I just recieved mine. Checked it over, and I realize there are some BIG improvements over the kits in this ARF.

PROS:

Biggest improvement: the wing scoops.
I cannot overstate how nice I think these are, and I wish I could purchase them seperately so that I could use them on kit built Corsairs (or ANY Corsair this size). The scoops are recessed as per full scale, and have fairly accurate details such as the louvers and the oil cooler. I rate these parts A+, there simply is no batter, and it would be difficult to scratch build such accurately scaled scoops.

Next up: the belly pan.
It's much lighter than the built up version from the kits, AND is adds the engine compartment hot air exhaust vent. The built up ones also tend to not be as accurately curved. This is another part I would love to use on a kit built TF Corsair.

The tailwheel cover.
This will make it SO much easy to add gear doors, and or have access to the tailwheel mounting and linkage. Another part that I would like to use on kit built Corsairs.

Airfoil Shaped Tail Feathers.
This isn't that big of a deal for me, but I know that for some it's nearly everything, and certainly more important than some of my other "PROS". The stab has curvature to it, it is not flat as in the kit. Some claim to able to spot details such as this much more easily, than say: the mis-shaped rudder and/ or wingtips (see "CONS" below).

The Fuselage is Better/ an Improvement of kit built Corsairs.
Specifically: it is rounder where it needs to be. There is no sudden transition from flat, upper section to rounded underside aft of the wing. The kit builds as an upper half, and the lower half is added later. That translates to a rounded bottom section which does not properly transition to the flat sides of the upper portion. The ARF utilizes 1 piece formers that alow for the proper Corsair look.

NEUTRAL:

Spinner.
That an aluminum spinner is included is nice. I was surprised when I discovered that it will work with my Saito .91 (I thought Saito and O.S. engines used different thread patterns?). A little heavier than the TruTurn spinners I am accustomed to using on my '60 size' Corsairs (about 50 grams for stock, 30 grams for 7/8" TruTurn), but that could be handy if the plane tends to be tail heavy. On the negative side tho: it is also a little too large to be scale representative. The TruTurns that I use are 3/4" ~ 7/8" diameter at the 'barrel', this one is 1.14" diameter all the way thru. This might be a good spinner for the Top Flite P-47 ARF tho.

The included main wheels are a mixed bag: nice size, light weight, but need to be modified to look right. The stock wheels are considerable lighter than many of the aftermarket choices of the same size, AND more narrow, BUT the included hubs bear no resemblence to any full scall Corsair wheels that I have ever seen, and the tires lack 'thread'. Full scale Corsairs have spoked hubs, NOT smooth, flat ones. A+ for size and weight, D- for looks.
Specs for Stock Wheels:
3.56 inch diameter, 0.89 inches thick. Weight: 31.9 grams each.

Generally speaking, this is ONE NICE LOOKING CORSAIR right out of the box. BUT, it does NOT have a scale accurate finsh/ scheme. The real '#29/ Ira Kepford' Corsair sported a tri-color paint scheme, with the bottm surfaces being flat white, NOT flat gray.

CONS:
However, there are a few other scale discrencies which it shares with the kits:

The Rudder is STILL Wrong.
Full scale Corsairs have a rudder which is rounder at the top, The Top Flite kist (including the giant scale) have somewhat squared off rudders, as does this ARF.

The Wingtips are a BIG Improvement, but still not exactly right.
Altho a big improvement over the kits because the head on profiles ARE better/ more scale accurate (top of wing should be straight line, underside curves up to meet topside at tips, more curvature as seen from above), they are still a little off/ and like the rudder: too squared. The Hangar 9 Corsairs by contrast actually got it right. If one could install Hangar 9 wingtips on a Top Flite Corsair: one would end up with a VERY accurate wing. Still, if I wasn't going to recover mine: they are enough of an improvement (over the kits) to leave just as they are.

The Cowling STILL lacks Details.
It is now a one piece unit, AND made from fiberglass. As such, it is lighter than the kit version. I'm not so fond of many of the OEM fiberglass cowls tho: many, including this one are TOO light/ not robust enough. Since a lot of times, builders have to add weight to the nose to get a model to balance properly: I would rather have a little more strength even if it weighs a little more. But the bottom line of this cowl: it would have been easy enough to mold in some details, such as cowl flap lines, and the (3) 'cowl attachment straps'. When I build the kit versions, I always modify the cowl ring by using a hacksaw to inscibe coal flap lines. I'm thinking it could be more difficult cutting into fiberglass. I'll just use a cowl from the kit on mine

Paint.
Lastly, it is my understanding that Top Flite/ LustreKote no longer offers replacement flat paint in the matching colors for this model. In other words, if you damage something that requires re-painting : Good Luck/ You are On Your Own!

CONCLUSION:
Overall, this is a pretty nice ARF, ceratinly a BIG improvement over the kit version. I'm glad I got it, it will make a nice addition to my fleet. From what everyone is saying: the completed weight should be around 10 lbs, and from experience with the kit versions: I know that it will fly very well at that weight.

That all said: I intend to remove covering/ finsh from mine, re-shape rudder and wingtips, apply a painted finish to mine, AND add an F4U-1/ birdcage canopy to it. Also leaning towards making the wings foldable, even if only by hand/ manually.
Last edited by CorsairJock; Apr 07, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
Mar 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
Never too old to learn
Well I maidened mine today. Before taking it up I did a few laps on the ground. It had absolutely no tendency to nose over.
I then lined it up and throttled up slowly. The tail lifted and leveled out and with just a touch of up elevator it lifted off in a nice shallow climb. It took two clicks of right aileron and two clicks of down elevator for straight and level flight. I only
flew 4-5 laps and brought her in. The first landing attempt was too high and fast so I took her around and made a more shallow descent and she settled in but bounced a few times before finally landing. All in all I'm pleased with its performance
On one of the bounces the right wheel turned in toward the fuse so I packed it up.
I fixed the wheel (actually the strut) and hope to get her up tomorrow.

Tom
Mar 17, 2012, 08:29 PM
Team Futaba
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflircaircraft View Post
Well I maidened mine today. Before taking it up I did a few laps on the ground. It had absolutely no tendency to nose over.
I then lined it up and throttled up slowly. The tail lifted and leveled out and with just a touch of up elevator it lifted off in a nice shallow climb. It took two clicks of right aileron and two clicks of down elevator for straight and level flight. I only
flew 4-5 laps and brought her in. The first landing attempt was too high and fast so I took her around and made a more shallow descent and she settled in but bounced a few times before finally landing. All in all I'm pleased with its performance
On one of the bounces the right wheel turned in toward the fuse so I packed it up.
I fixed the wheel (actually the strut) and hope to get her up tomorrow.

Tom
Congrats on the maiden! I plan to take mine out again for a few flights in the morning.
Mar 17, 2012, 09:11 PM
Never too old to learn
Thanks CSpaced. Great job on the review. Happy Flying

Tom
Mar 28, 2012, 04:36 PM
Nice job Chris
Apr 07, 2012, 09:41 AM

review?

Very good job on the review, good points of intreset made with retracts and weight installed up front. When I saw how much weight you added to the nose, I was a little concerned but the plane had no visable signs of porblems in the video. PLUS, a Very well done Video, instead of zinging through the sky like most video is shot, we got to see quite a few approches and landings, taxi and take off, those tell me an awful lot about how a plane handles.,,. WELL Done!
Thanks, Terry B.
Apr 07, 2012, 06:53 PM
Team Futaba
Thread OP
Thanks for the kind words guys, glad you enjoyed the review.

Quick Reply