May 29, 2012, 03:28 PM
Capt. Z
Little warm out today so put the EZ up for some shade and gona hang out in the yard and do T-38 stuff. What kind of stuff?? I don't know just stuff...T-38 stuff..
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2012, 04:27 PM
Capt. Z

Thrust test

So far my pull test numbers are 11 to 12 pounds pull on the digital scale per fan. Batts are not quite fully charged at 39 volts. I also may take a bit of a hit due to being at 6000 feet above sea level. Meter read 3800 watts 103amps. 39 volts on the batts.

I found a good substitute for my foam main wheels that 40 pounds was just too much for. I need something light so I tryed these vintage wheels for old timer airplanes. Just a shade under 6" big but only weigh 4 oz a wheel so the electric retracts can take them up no prob.
May 29, 2012, 05:35 PM
Looks fantastic Andy!!!! Now put some plastic in those canopy frames and lets get this baby in the air!!!!!! w.
May 29, 2012, 06:09 PM
fly like an EAGLE ;)
sorry gramps, it is very close though. i think i might accualy be able to make the pulls with our vac box, so that would cut alot of time off the turn around. i just need to moddify our box a little bit...
you need to remember im not retired lol. im away from home 5 days a week and i have to cram a whole weeks worth of chores and time with the family into 2 days lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Oh man, that's not good. That means it's still in CA.

J
May 29, 2012, 06:14 PM
fly like an EAGLE ;)
those thrust numbers look great for 6000 ft plus beeing installed with super long tail pipes! i know your worried, but i think its going to be just fine!

funny, i was looking at those wheels on tower too. the real one has really skinny tires too. dont be worried the weathering looks awesome wingman.
May 29, 2012, 06:30 PM
Capt. Z
Thanks wingman, you da man. I still have weeks worth of work yet so no pressure from me. I have my attack dogs to do that for me.

Wingman, probably thinking never again will I enter into a duel build were I have to actually build and make parts when the other guy just has to buy parts.

Hey got any pics of the pug?
Last edited by falcon5; May 29, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
May 29, 2012, 07:01 PM
Member 120mph Club
Crap, that thing almost needs its own zip code! Was it difficult to get the DMV to give you plates?? LOL
May 30, 2012, 07:20 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
sorry gramps, it is very close though. i think i might accualy be able to make the pulls with our vac box, so that would cut alot of time off the turn around. i just need to moddify our box a little bit...
you need to remember im not retired lol. im away from home 5 days a week and i have to cram a whole weeks worth of chores and time with the family into 2 days lol.
Yea, I know. I'm just getting anxious and feel the need to keep the cattle prod working to get this done.

J
Latest blog entry: AC-130A Vietnam era gunship
May 30, 2012, 10:03 AM
Official Boat Bum
The only complication I see with the skinny tires will be on flying it off the playa. You will have some extra gear drag on the hard dirt. I notice this when I fly my (tiny 25 pound) A-4 off hard pack dry lake at 5000 feet (8500 foot density altitude on most mornings). I have a noticeably longer ground run and rotating is a little more of an effort with the increased drag moment at the wheels but it's manageable. I bet that's just something you are probably already catering for!

As an option, would you be able to use one of the runways/taxiways/ramp areas at TPH?? Last time I was there however I did see a lot of decomposed parts of ramp with rocks and pebbles in some areas . . maybe better off on the dry lake bed after all.
May 30, 2012, 11:12 AM
Capt. Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
As an option, would you be able to use one of the runways/taxiways/ramp areas at TPH?? maybe better off on the dry lake bed after all.
Good info thanks Eddie, Yeah Mark the airport manager lets me fly off the taxiway and I used to fly there all the time until I found the lake bed. I do like the paved surface better but he told me if I ever take out a taxiway light I buy it

Here is a short video of me landing on the TPH airport taxiway a few years ago with a pusher F-4.

F-4 004.MP4 (1 min 35 sec)
May 30, 2012, 12:36 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Sweet landing, right down the line!

What's going to be the next project on the table Falcon? Full scale?
Latest blog entry: 68% Pitts Challenger SMASHED
May 30, 2012, 02:16 PM
Capt. Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
What's going to be the next project on the table Falcon? Full scale?
A quick build of a Flyfly Sabre then a Giant scale Rare Bear.
May 30, 2012, 02:31 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Sweet! The flyfly, is that the Super Sabre? I had my eye on that for a while, but ended up with the Venom F86 instead- I could not turn down the price... but the F100 is one of my all-time favorites, I look forward to seeing it come together.
Latest blog entry: 68% Pitts Challenger SMASHED
May 30, 2012, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
F100 or F86?

You'd love the F100 no doubt
May 30, 2012, 07:03 PM
Official Boat Bum
That F-4 Pusher is so cool!! But I hadn't realized what a perfect pusher an F-4 is with those anhedral stabs making for the perfect prop guard!

PS, pretty sure Andy is doing an F-86 with Rodger's inlet mod.