Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 14, 2012, 10:16 PM
Registered User
Found this thread over the weekend, read through all 140+ pages, simply fantastic model you've built! I just got into rc planes this year, and have started experimenting with building simple prop planes from blue and pink core foam. Was wondering how you cut your foam, I've been using a box cutter with fresh blade, but it seems to catch and tear little bits out along the seam every so often.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2012, 10:24 PM
Registered User
LuvEvolution7's Avatar
Use an xacto knife and change the blades frequently. Otherwise, you could use a hotwire setup.
Aug 14, 2012, 10:28 PM
check for reversed controls
alpea 41's Avatar
Orange plastic box cutter from 99 cent store works well . Don't just drag the blade thru the foam try to make a slicing motion. Change the blade often with 9mm break off blades from Home Depot and for goodness sakes don't get your flesh in the way.
Aug 14, 2012, 10:51 PM
Registered User
Thanks, I will try out these methods on some scrap foam.
Aug 14, 2012, 10:59 PM
Capt. Z
falcon5's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoneal View Post
Found this thread over the weekend, read through all 140+ pages, simply fantastic model you've built! I. Was wondering how you cut your foam, I've been using a box cutter with fresh blade, but it seems to catch and tear little bits out along the seam every so often.
Hi mwoneal,

Welcome to the T-38 thread and welcome to R/C airplanes. Wow, you read through all 140+ pages..pretty cool!!

Due to the 1" thick foam used in this T-38 build I used the X-acto #5 blade for cutting out most of the parts. To make a cut I would use a streight edge and take my time and the first cut only goes about half way through, then the next cut a little further and by the third pass I would usualy be all the way through and have a clean cut.

Thinner foam say 1/2" thick may only take one or two strokes.

Welcome aboard.

Andy
Aug 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
RC Fanatic
Reco's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Hi mwoneal,

Welcome to the T-38 thread and welcome to R/C airplanes. Wow, you read through all 140+ pages..pretty cool!!

Due to the 1" thick foam used in this T-38 build I used the X-acto #5 blade for cutting out most of the parts. To make a cut I would use a streight edge and take my time and the first cut only goes about half way through, then the next cut a little further and by the third pass I would usualy be all the way through and have a clean cut.

Thinner foam say 1/2" thick may only take one or two strokes.

Welcome aboard.

Andy
A true surgeons tools
Aug 15, 2012, 09:48 AM
Registered User
Waltjg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
Use an xacto knife and change the blades frequently. Otherwise, you could use a hotwire setup.
I haven't put in a new xacto blade in a couple of years now! I keep a stone on the bench, a few licks across it, and better than new, yes, sharper than a new blade! and yes I have a whole box of blades up on the shelf somewhere! Another trick learned right here on RCG!!!! w.
Aug 15, 2012, 11:38 AM
Capt. Z
falcon5's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
I haven't put in a new xacto blade in a couple of years now! I keep a stone on the bench, a few licks across it, and better than new, yes, sharper than a new blade! and yes I have a whole box of blades up on the shelf somewhere! Another trick learned right here on RCG!!!! w.
Well there ya go,, cool tip Walt.

Gona head on over to the post office and see if those clear plastic thingy's are there yet.. should be gettin' close
Last edited by falcon5; Aug 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Aug 15, 2012, 01:15 PM
fly like an EAGLE ;)
corsair nut's Avatar
oh man, i hope you post pics when you get them!
Aug 15, 2012, 01:52 PM
Capt. Z
falcon5's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
oh man, i hope you post pics when you get them!
Will do...my middle name is Paparazzi...


No yellow card today..I saw the big mail truck leaving the post office as I was driving up. If it is on that truck by the time they sort and put the cards in the boxes I won't know til tomorrow.
Aug 15, 2012, 08:40 PM
Registered User
Andy,

Thanks for sharing, appreciate the information. That is a big X-acto blade. Great job again on the jet.

Mark
Aug 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
fly like an EAGLE ;)
corsair nut's Avatar
a little update, wing spars made (43"x1.2"x1/8") carbon fiber spars, 2 for wing, 1 in vertical that runs down and connects with stab spar. wings are glued together, and belly pan glued on. just about ready to glass belly pan, and start final body work on the wing/belly pan. i also installed the nose gear mount, and used 2 layers of 6oz C/F cloth on the inside of the wing sadle area. pretty damned strong. i also made the rudder mech to operate it from a servo inside. still need to install it though. man, i tell ya what, when you stand this wing up on end, its way taller than me. and im 6-2! crazy stuff! i need to weigh everything today to see where im at. i think i can hit 30 lbs if i dont get crazy on paint and glass work...... if i hit 30 lbs, this thing will be a serious leaf! lol.

andy, those canopies should be there today i rekon!
Aug 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
Capt. Z
falcon5's Avatar
Great update!!!...yea if you hit 30 pounds she sure will be a floater on landing..good work!!
Aug 16, 2012, 01:45 PM
fly like an EAGLE ;)
corsair nut's Avatar
no canopies yet?
Aug 16, 2012, 04:28 PM
fly like an EAGLE ;)
corsair nut's Avatar
so, some good news, i weighed what i have so far. the wings/stabs/vertical all all glassed, and most of the structure is in the airplane so far. i also weighed the retracts with struts. so far im up to 12.6lbs. thats not too bad, since my power system (fans/esc's/motors/batts) is about 12 lbs. so to hit 30 i have to keep the rest of the airframe and servos down to 5.4lbs. i figure ive got 1.40 lbs of servos/rx. that leaves me with 4lbs for glass on fuse/light coat of primer and paint, and the cockpit. thats pushing it, but i feel i can keep it under 32lbs for sure. i think 32lbs is the max weight at which ill still maintain good performance given the power setup. and thats 10 lbs less than andy's so we already know how sweet his flies, even at 42 lbs. that leaves me pretty stoked, but also lets me know i cant get crazy with fuse glassing and paint if i want to hit the mark.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Micro F-5/T-38 Parkflyer Build boingk Pusher Prop Jet Models 2 Oct 17, 2011 09:58 PM
Discussion I knew it wouldn't be long!!!!!!! Flightbox FPV Talk 8 Sep 29, 2011 05:17 PM
New Product 1/6 HETZER JAGDPANZER 38(t) Sd.Kfz. 138/2 r/c full metal BIG TANKS PLANT RC Tanks 0 Sep 28, 2011 02:38 PM
Sold Hangar Sale E-Flite P-38 rtf, GP Fokker, WM Miss America EP, Easyglider EZ T-38 ScaleBrad Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 15 Jan 02, 2008 01:22 PM