This thread is privately moderated by GooberSB, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by GooberSB
An Ordinary User
Build Log

16" UFO sport flier

I wanted to build myself an indoor flier similar to the 12" version I built for a friend but without the expensive PZ brick.

It's amazing how fast the weight goes up on a disc shaped aircraft. At 125% the size of the 12" version, the weight is about 300%.

I started out with a 5g hexTronik motor and a 350mah 2S but it couldn't keep it in the air at all. I switched to a 3S battery and could smell the wires melting in the motor after a few minutes of average throttle. I replaced the motor and battery with a hexTronik 2211 (250 size) and a 500mah 2S. That made a big difference.

Now, I've been using the 2211 on wings of various sizes. The 20" and 24" KESL wings (see my blog posts below on those) and a few failed builds fly great with these motors. But I wanted this one to be indoor not a fast outdoor flier. I learned from my Electrifly Pluma that a large motor with a large prop can fly extremely slow so that's the direction I went.

I put a 8x3.8 prop on this motor and went with a 2S to keep the rpms down. I don't want a lot of rpms this time.

Here's a video of the result. I'm flying on low rates because on high rates the axial roll is pretty fast. I think if I increase my expo from 30% to 70% I can fly it normally on high rates and be able to a good hover too.

16" Sport UFO (4 min 32 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2011, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by Tsavah
Watt Waster

What? Now that is an interesting statement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB View Post
... The 20" and 24" KESL wings (see my blog posts below on those) and a few failed builds fly great with these motors.
I'm not sure how a "failed build" can fly great on any motor, but I am curious how that was done. LOL, OK, kidding aside, I am interested in your smaller builds and want to see if I can make a decent copy. If you have more pictures to post and details, please post them soon. Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Center of Gravity - Airplanes
Old Dec 19, 2011, 05:34 PM
An Ordinary User
haha

Yes, even the failed builds were a good match for the motor. Unfortunately, the rest of the build was sub-par on those. Your jest is taken with humor

I'll post some pictures in a few hours.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:26 PM
Watt Waster

Pictures! I love pictures

Quote:
haha Yes, even the failed builds were a good match for the motor. Unfortunately, the rest of the build was sub-par on those. Your jest is taken with humor I'll post some pictures in a few hours.
Eoouwww (however that is spelled), goody goody! I suppose a guy can see enough pictures in his life time, but I'm not there yet!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:45 PM
An Ordinary User
Here are some pictures

I use these a lot with the small servos and control horns
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/DUB847.html

The reason is that the thin pushrods bend and bow very easily. The housing sleeve can be glued down and will prevent this. I ususally cut a small channel in the foam so I can glue the sleeve and have it flush with the surface.

I like these too but will use hobbyking stuff when I run out
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/DUB919.html

I normally use these for larger projects
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ck-with/Detail

but for this particular build I used one of these because I needed it to be short
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/GWSAP076.html

I cut it in half so I could put the battery between the motor and the CG line. Keep in mind the CG is 25% or 4" in ths case. As much as possible needs to be in the first 4" to avoid adding dead weight to achieve balance.
Last edited by GooberSB; Dec 19, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:14 AM
Watt Waster
Quote:
Here are some pictures. I use these a lot with the small servos and control horns. The reason is that the thin push-rods bend and bow very easily. The housing sleeve can be glued down and will prevent this. I usually cut a small channel in the foam so I can glue the sleeve and have it flush with the surface. I like these too but will use hobby king stuff when I run out. ... I cut it in half so I could put the battery between the motor and the CG line. Keep in mind the CG is 25% or 4" in this case. As much as possible needs to be in the first 4" to avoid adding dead weight to achieve balance.
Thanks. The pictures help to explain a lot of details.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:28 AM
An Ordinary User
Dave Reap's mini heart is an interesting design that I want to try soon.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1548634