Jan 10, 2012, 11:49 AM
Thread OP

Setting Up the motor Mount

The motor mount provided is set up for the E-Flite 400 outrunner. The box was assembled and glued in place, then the firewall added. Then just for grins, the cowl was placed on the firewall -- now it's starting to look like a Luscombe!

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2012, 12:22 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Definitely looks like a Luscombe. Can't wait to see how she looks all together.

I seem to recall you saying you were doing the 8E version which your Dad had one of. Going to cover her like the real one?

As far as the 8E, any chance you could make some notes on the plans for the 8A version so the odd person like myself who wants to do an 8A could do so?

Hope to see her in the air soon.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I cme I saw I flew
Jan 10, 2012, 10:00 PM
Thread OP
Brian, The major difference between the early rag wings was the tip shape on the vertical and horizontal tails, the "D" window at the rear of the cabin, and of course the lift struts. To backdate the cosmetic items would be easy. To replace the single strut used on the metal wing with the V-Strut would require the addition of the hard points for the rear strut attachments and Jury Struts. Not a bit deal, a scrap of wood here and there and you're in business.

PAT
Jan 10, 2012, 10:58 PM
Love the E version Pat. Best Choice, and best looking of them all. Kind of like the C-140 vs the 140A. The 140A, is buy far the best looking. Just my opinion.
Jan 10, 2012, 11:35 PM
As always beautiful work Pat. I saw this a couple of days ago on your website and was waiting for a build thread.
Jan 11, 2012, 02:55 AM
This one looks much sturdier than most of your models, must be the formers.

I like the look of it so far.
Jan 11, 2012, 12:23 PM
Closed Account
This one belongs to my neighbor in the hangar next door, BTW he turns 80 in a month. It's a real looker and I have some more pictures if you want to do yours like it.
Jan 11, 2012, 01:24 PM
Would'nt it be cool if there would be a light enough covering that would look like real metal wings, look smooth without the ribs showing through like cloth?

I wonder,

AP
Jan 11, 2012, 01:29 PM
Thread OP

Adding the Lift Strut Hard Points

A bit of balsa fill is added to the fuselage side to attach the lower lift strut fittings. A sectiomn of aluminum tube will be added to be used for the strut attach in the typical fashion.
Jan 11, 2012, 01:34 PM
Thread OP

Building Up the Landing Gear Fairings

The landing gear fairings on the Luscombe are one of its more prominent features, so can't cheat here. The fairings are built up from 1/16 balsa sheet and sanded to the airfoil shape. Internal bracing is added to prevent the skins from being crushed while shaping. The fairings are built up with the gear plugged in to assure the proper strut spacing once they're done.
Jan 11, 2012, 01:36 PM
Thread OP

Adding the IP Hood and Fitting the Cowl

The instrument panel hood was made from file folder and glued in place with canopy 560 glue. Then several small wood blocks were glued in place around the firewall to align the cowl. Tabs were then added to screw the cowl in place.
Jan 11, 2012, 01:38 PM
Thread OP

Building Up the Servo Mounts

The rudder and elevator servo mounts were built in, then the servos mounted and the elevator pushrod tube was run in and secured. The hatch opening was added by removing the middle stringers and adding the edge stiffeners.
Jan 11, 2012, 01:44 PM
Thread OP

Adding the Door Skins and Window Frames

The door skins and window frames were made up from file folder and glued in place with canopy 560 glue.

But before the door skins went on the strut fittings were glued in place while there was still easy access to the inside. The tubes were held in place with staples made up from copper armature wire. Holes were drilled on both sides of the tubes, then bent over on the inside and secured with a drop od Cya.

Next up is to get going on the tail section, so don't go away, there's more coming real soon.

PAT
Jan 11, 2012, 02:06 PM
Always Ready!
Quote:
Originally Posted by airplane-1
Would'nt it be cool if there would be a light enough covering that would look like real metal wings, look smooth without the ribs showing through like cloth?

I wonder,

AP
In a really old thread I saw a plane covered with aluminum from pop-cans (some guy from South America). He scored and punched the metal to make corrugated flap surfaces, panel lines, and rivets. It looked incredibly full-scale and weighed nominally more than covering it with Towerkote or similar. Each piece had to be carefully fitted and glued into place... and of course, if you ding it or crash it then it needs all new panels.

This isn't the same guy, but look what you can make from cans:
http://www.bcair.com/plans/index.htm
Jan 11, 2012, 03:05 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Looking very nice!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew

Quick Reply