Feb 07, 2013, 09:57 AM
probro
thanks for steering me in the right direction with the struts, i'll stick to the plans.

I finally got the wing tips done and a little covering started...after trying to come up with a small piece of blue foam for a month now i finally broke down and bought a 4 x 8 x 1 sheet at lowes...now i have a lifetime supply! pretty neat stuff, i never worked with it before. whats the preferred glue for this? i've been using the white gorilla glue on the floats and now the wing tips, cya and quik grip melted it, foam safe cya sucks.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2013, 10:12 AM
Suspended Account
I used Elmer's white glue but hot glue, carefully used, would be fast. Nice work
Feb 08, 2013, 12:53 PM
probro
where/how did you guys mount the esc and rx?
Feb 08, 2013, 01:00 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by the lift
where/how did you guys mount the esc and rx?
My esc is loose and forward of the bulkhead, at cg, where the bat mounts. My receiver is on top of the servo rails.
Feb 08, 2013, 03:22 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Lift

As previously stated I usually just let the ESC float in the battery area. It is so light it can just hang there. I usually velcro the RX to a former or the side of the fuselage near the servos based on how the servo leads run. The ESC can also be velcroed in place somewhere but I usually don't do that on these light weight models. My ESC of choice for most of Pats' models is the Castle Thunderbird 18 which weighs next to nothing.

I really need to get started covering my Luscombe.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Last edited by Brian Allen; Apr 22, 2018 at 06:46 PM.
Feb 08, 2013, 03:56 PM
probro
thanks guys! that's kinda what i figured, I keep forgetting this won't be doing snap rolls and blenders,.... getting ready to cut and glue the file folder parts and more covering this weekend, which will end up kinda making this stuff hard to get at.

My 14 yr old daughter is having two friends over this weekend so i'm gonna be hiding in my little basement build zone ....cept for giving out rides and money!
Feb 08, 2013, 03:57 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
thanks guys! that's kinda what i figured, I keep forgetting this won't be doing snap rolls and blenders,.... getting ready to cut and glue the file folder parts and more covering this weekend, which will end up kinda making this stuff hard to get at.

My 14 yr old daughter is having two friends over this weekend so i'm gonna be hiding in my little basement build zone ....cept for giving out rides and money!
Dude, even rolls are agonizing! Slow and scale.
Feb 11, 2013, 08:37 AM
probro
...made a little progress, wings covered, file folder parts cut & glued, bushed wheels for LG wire.

I wish i hadn't labeled the parts
Feb 11, 2013, 08:40 AM
Suspended Account
Aren't those ailerons a work of art!

Cover the fuse one section at a time.
Feb 11, 2013, 10:51 AM
probro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift
Aren't those ailerons a work of art!

Cover the fuse one section at a time.
yes indeed!

actually, the whole thing! Really well engineered and going together pretty smooth.

when you say "one section at a time" do you mean the cylinder/cone shape as a section, starting at the rear and working forward? ....like Pat did. I actually really like this microlite, it goes around curves very nicely and un-wrinkles too.
Feb 12, 2013, 08:23 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
yes indeed!

actually, the whole thing! Really well engineered and going together pretty smooth.

when you say "one section at a time" do you mean the cylinder/cone shape as a section, starting at the rear and working forward? ....like Pat did. I actually really like this microlite, it goes around curves very nicely and un-wrinkles too.
I think so-former to former. Tedious but effective.
Feb 12, 2013, 10:57 AM
I think I'd cover rear fuse in four or five long tapered pieces of covering. Make a pattern in manila folder and cut out sections per the pattern and overlap them as you adhere each one to the stringers.
Feb 12, 2013, 11:03 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
I think I'd cover rear fuse in four or five long tapered pieces of covering. Make a pattern in manila folder and cut out sections per the pattern and overlap them as you adhere each one to the stringers.
Brilliant!
Feb 12, 2013, 11:41 AM
Thread OP
The rear fuselage section is a simple cone, no compound curves at all, so can be done in two sections -- actually, it could be done in one, but it would be a big piece to try and handle efficiently. I covered mine with one piece on each side from the spine to the keel.

PAT
Feb 12, 2013, 11:44 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
The rear fuselage section is a simple cone, no compound curves at all, so can be done in two sections -- actually, it could be done in one, but it would be a big piece to try and handle efficiently. I covered mine with one piece on each side from the spine to the keel.

PAT
Now you tell me!

Quick Reply