Luscombe Silvair in 1:8 Scale - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 19, 2011, 11:37 AM
New Product

Luscombe Silvair in 1:8 Scale

As a kid I remember riding around in Dad's Luscombe 8E, and have always had a soft spot for that airplane -- and it's a good flyer to boot. Years ago I had done a couple of 1:4 scale Luscombes, and then later worked up the 3 ch. offering for a geared S-280 that Dare kitted. Now that electrics have really come of age I figure it's a great time to work up a brand new -- and more accurate design then the earlier offering.

Sparky will be doing the cowl, and since plastic parts always seem to get put off till after I really need them I thought I'd start there this time. That way, when the time comes to mount it, it will already be ready to go.

Because of the unique shape of the cowl, to prevent mold trapping, the cowl had to be done in halves. The seam is in the middle, with one side overlapping a recessed lip on the other, making for at least 1/4" of gluing surface, so is stout enough so that the bond won't be too deliccate to work with. Once glued together, the seam was filled with Bondo, sanded to shape, then a light application of spot putty was applied to clean up the small pitts and scratches.

Now, the cowl is ready to fit on the fuselage once framing gets underway. So stay tuned, the build will begin real soon.

PAT
Last edited by P. Tritle; Jan 09, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2011, 11:45 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Woo Hoo!! Put me down for one!! Where can I send money!! Yeah!!

Can you tell I am excited?? Nice to see that you are adding the Silvaire to the 1/8th scale lineup. Having done several of yours in this size they are a nice blend of decent size, light weight and great flyability. Your L-4 is probably the best and most scale like flying Cub I have seen.

Will be following with great interest. And waiting with money in my pocket.

Have a safe and peaceful Holiday Season.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Dec 19, 2011, 11:55 AM
I'll bet that the Silvaire flies as great as Pat's C-140, a close relative.
Dec 19, 2011, 02:06 PM
This is pretty cool, I just got the Hostetler Silvair plans cowl and laser cut parts. I plan to fully sheet and cover in Flite Metal.
Signed on....
Jan 09, 2012, 11:09 PM
Got the fuselage frame roughed in this afternoon -- will post up the pics in the morning. It looks like we're finally underway!!!

PAT
Jan 09, 2012, 11:18 PM

luscombe choices

Mercy, this shows that we shouldn't hoard kits....I still have a Dare Luscombe in the box that I was hoping to build this winter. So, will I be disappointed in the Dare kit end product compared to the 'new' Luscombe?
Jan 09, 2012, 11:19 PM

subscribing

Gotta see how this turns out....
Jan 09, 2012, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH
Mercy, this shows that we shouldn't hoard kits....I still have a Dare Luscombe in the box that I was hoping to build this winter. So, will I be disappointed in the Dare kit end product compared to the 'new' Luscombe?
Peter, Well now, that all depends on what your looking for in the finished model. The original design was set up with a one piece removable wing, the new one will plug in so there won't be the bolt holes and break lines at the top of the cabin. And the wing design is easier to build since it's of the "egg crate" style of construction rather then the older double front and single rear spar design.

The new design is already set up with ailerons and scale diherdral, so no mod will be required to build the 4 ch. type if you want to go that rout.

The new design will be set up for something like an E-Flite 370 - 400 outrunner, or the Suppo 2208 - 2212 motors, so no mods will need to be made to set it up with more up to date power. The Dare kit will need to be modified anyway as the old geared 280 drive system is no longer available.

And finally, the battery will be accessed through a hatch on the bottom, so the wing won't have to come off each time the model is flown.

Bottom line, the old design flies very well, but the first Luscombe was almost 100 designs ago, and I've learned a thing or two since then about how to do things more efficiently. Another plus is that with CAD drawn plans, the construction methods have been simplified a good bit. And too, the radio equipment these days is much better then what we had to work with back then, so a better model can be build even lighter to deliver a very scale-like flyer with far less effort.

PAT
Jan 09, 2012, 11:51 PM

New luscombe

Pat, thanks for the very comprehensive reply. Sounds like I'm going to enjoy my Dare kit even though it's been eclipsed by applying the experience accumulated in many subsequent designs. I enjoy building and problem solving and I think the end product of building a Luscombe from the kit will be worth the effort. It's amazing how much the design process matures as projects follow projects. It's a testament to the designer that the older designs, like the Dare Luscombe, hold up as well as they do. The new one sounds like a treat and a half, though.
Jan 10, 2012, 03:52 AM
OH Yea!!!!! Pat, Put me down for one for sure.
Jan 10, 2012, 05:27 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Thanks for getting this one started. Awaiting breathlessly!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Jan 10, 2012, 10:31 AM

Laying Out the Fuselage Frame

Due to the oval shaped fuselage this one is a bit of a departure from the norm. The basic frame is laid out on the old Earl Stahl kjeel and spine style of construction.

Begin by pinning the keel and spine parts over the construction plan and place the formers in their respective locations. USE THE CROSS SECTIONAL VIEWS RO INSURE THE FORMEWRS ARE INPLACE RIGHT-SIDE-UP.

The formers are then glued in place using a squaring block to insure a good vertical alignment.
Jan 10, 2012, 10:35 AM

Adding the Basic Stringers

While the frame is still on the plans, the center 3 stringers are added at the rear, and the horizontal and diagonal stringers and braces are added. At this point the structure is pretty delicate, so handle things gently to prevent breaking the frames until the stiffeners are added to Formers 2 & 3.
Jan 10, 2012, 10:44 AM

Starting On the Other Side

Once the basic stringers are in place the frame is lifted from the plan. The front formers are then aligned and glued in place and the balsa cross stiffeners added at the top of formers 2 & 3 and the bottom of Former 3. The landing gear mount is then assembled and glued in place on Former 2 to stiffen these parts enough to add the upper stringers.

The rear landing gear brace is built up and glued in place and assembled to the bottom former, then aligned and glued in place on the frame. Once that's done, the remaining stringers and diagonal bracing is added.

Then moving forward, the instrument panel and the forward stringers are glued in place followed by the rear formers and 3 main stringers.
Jan 10, 2012, 10:47 AM

Adding the Remaining Stringers

The remaining stringers are added now along with the stabilizer saddle formers to complete the basic structure. At this point, the frame is getting a whole lot stiffer, but it still needs to be handles gently to prevent breaking the formers.