Dec 19, 2011, 12:05 AM
They call me Crash!
Thread OP
Discussion

Apps Apps and more good Apps

I'm happy to say I just purchased my first "smart phone"!
I bought the new Razor. Verizon service.

I keep hearing about all these cool apps! What are the hot apps and where can you get them?

Preferably the free ones!
Dec 19, 2011, 04:04 AM
characters welcome!
Look up:

Flashlight (darn handy!)
Google Sky Map
Magnify
Pocket (for remembering all those combos, logins, etc)
RCSpeedo (a Doppler program. How fast is my plane?)
Wind Meter (wind speed)

mw
Dec 19, 2011, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the Fish!
I have app my self out all i want is a stupid phone again
Dec 19, 2011, 07:03 AM
Out of Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000
I'm happy to say I just purchased my first "smart phone"!
I bought the new Razor. Verizon service.
Too bad you can't get an app that will charge your battery for you.

I bought the Bionic recently and was dumbfounded at how bad it was for battery life. You MUST put it on a charger every night or you will not get a second day use out of it.
The Razor is said to be marginally better, BUT, you have no other battery options for it other than the built-in (not user replaceable), so you're stuck.

Just last week, I picked up the extended replacement batter for the Bionic which is almost twice the Mah capacity, and now life is good again.

Seriously, if you bought your Razor in just the last couple of days, I'd consider exchanging it for the Bionic and getting the extended battery for it.
They are identical phones in every other way, and the slightly thicker profile is well worth it to get decent battery life.

Just sayin'...

For apps, you might want to check out:

Gesture Search
Compass
DroidLight (a really cool flashlight app that activates your flash and keeps it on)
Tango (for sure, because you can now do live face-to-face calls with wife and friends who also have two cameras on their phones.. my niece went nuts the first time I called her from my Bionic to her Razor (which she now regrets because of battery life ))
Dolphin Browser (a must have, and you can still keep and use the regular browser if you like... but you won't)
Catch (a very nice note app)
Barcode Scanner (a must have for any smartphone)
Alarm Clock (great for when you travel)
AccuWeather (for all the obvious reasons)

You can get all apps you need by going into the "Market" icon which should be right there on your main/home/center page (by default).
Lots more, but those are the high points.
Dec 19, 2011, 11:18 AM
They call me Crash!
Thread OP
Thanks for the tips guys! Battery life is not a huge issue because I am 95% of the time, close to power. I stopped at the local Verizon store at the mall this morning and he gave me a few pointers on how to save battery life...one is turn off the internet when you not using it.

Some of the apps that run in the back ground also can be turned off when not in use.
If these things are done he said that battery will last 11 to 12 hours.

There are so many cool features on this phone. going to start downloading the apps you fellas recommended...thanks
Dec 19, 2011, 04:54 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogel
I have app my self out all i want is a stupid phone again
I have a cheap T-Mobile prepaid phone. I put about $20 on it whenever it gets low, about every 2-3 months. It folds small and has round edges so it fits well in a front jeans pocket. About every year or so I manage to brick it, so another $30 gets another phone. Last time it died the cause was chlorine poisoning. Yep, it fits in swimsuit pockets too.

My parents and wife know the number, and that's it. I used the camera function exactly once, and the "browser" exactly nonce. Phone calls and texts are all I need.

I would get rid of the land line, but for now DSL is still the cheapest broadband ISP we can swing.
Dec 19, 2011, 07:56 PM
Seriously?
This is interesting. I just bought a case for my Droid X2 that has a flap type cover held in place by magnets. It's a nice leather case I got from ebay. I was surprised to find out these magnets cause the Droid to think it's in a docking station and turns on the display, rotates it 90 degrees and of course would KILL the battery if left in it. I guess their docking station has magnets to tell the Droid when it's in the station. Makes the case worthless however.
Dec 19, 2011, 08:41 PM
They call me Crash!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot
This is interesting. I just bought a case for my Droid X2 that has a flap type cover held in place by magnets. It's a nice leather case I got from ebay. I was surprised to find out these magnets cause the Droid to think it's in a docking station and turns on the display, rotates it 90 degrees and of course would KILL the battery if left in it. I guess their docking station has magnets to tell the Droid when it's in the station. Makes the case worthless however.
Errr

Well So far I uploaded quite a few Apps...the flashlight app is cool and the light is really bright. There are 500 free apps for the razor....so far been through 125 of them and D/L maybe six. Oh.. had to D/L the drink mix app!!
Many more to check out....have not made it to the ones that have charges!

This phone is amazing!!
Dec 19, 2011, 09:28 PM
St. Boondock
Myself, Girlfriend, Son and GF's son are all my Verizon plans and we all have Droids and Droid II's. Honestly, there is SOOOOO much stuff, SOOOOOOOOO many aps, I really cannot keep up. NOR, do I have time to keep up. I have everything I need on my phone. Everyone is constantly showing me more stuff I need. I have to work and I have a life other than my phone.
Dec 19, 2011, 10:48 PM
Really?
Google Goggles, Where, Google Translate, HP's print app (if you have an HP printer with wifi), a notepad app, a voice memo app, Fast Call and Lookout come to mind. Try to leave as few services (wifi, bluetooth, gps) running as possible for better battery life.
Dec 20, 2011, 07:17 AM
Out of Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000
Errr

This phone is amazing!!
Sure is, and one app I forgot to mention that old-time Palm users like myself might like is "Graffiti for Android", the Palm app for text/number entry that made using a PDA so simple and fun:
http://www.appbrain.com/app/graffiti...mpany.graffiti
If you ever used it on a Palm, then you're good to go. If you have never used it, then you have to get used to how some characters are entered a little funny, like scratching a "7" that becomes a "T" and some things like that. But it's easy to adapt to and really fast once you do.

Of course, all this great stuff comes with a price, and our carriers are overcharging us for it for the priviledge to support the Apple iPhone.
Now see if this doesn't piss you off:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...subsidies.html
Dec 20, 2011, 08:48 AM
Alarm Bells Softening!
Here's a handy app. Of course, you'll have to get the tat too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=It0MNFL6SDI
Dec 20, 2011, 10:56 AM
Angry birds, adobe reader, aldiko, kindle, bbc iplayer (maybe uk only), calender, guitar tuner, droid shooting (a must), google earth, a mail account, lego scans, maps with locations (so you can track the kids whereabouts), quickoffice, talking tom, plants vs zombies.
Not an exhaustive list, just the must haves.
Dec 20, 2011, 11:57 AM
They call me Crash!
Thread OP
The kids will like the tatoo app lolol

What is the angry birds thing? I keep seeing it.

I put some new apps on today....man it is like a toy store... magnifier
is awesome because I'm always forgetting my cheaters.
The whoppe cushion is a must...omg omg..lol, Flash light rocks,
Blow horn with different sounds is cool!! Bubble level is cool!
Oh dictionary rocks! Gas buddy is cool.Night vision is cool too!
Dec 21, 2011, 08:03 PM
I have the guitar app, night vision ( really just turns everything green, but does allow you to lighten the video , works fairly well ) have ATT maps that instantly shows your location . Barcode,flashlight and cardiograph is pretty cool, tells your heart rate. And who's playing words with freinds ( scabble). If anyones interested PM me.

Quick Reply