Oct 01, 2003, 06:58 PM
Leave me alone!

Axon Flight Report! Video included

Hi gang!

Just to let the cat out of the bag early, I thought I'd cut and paste a portion of my review flight report for the Axon from www.cl-i-max.com along with a few pictures.

Quote:
Aerobatics

This is the Axon’s forte. She will loop any size between about 10 feet in diameter (without flaperon mixing) up to as large as you want to make them. Rolls at slower speeds are in the neighborhood of 1/second on high rates and progress up to over 3/second when up and moving a little faster. The rudder is tremendously and remarkably effective on the Axon, producing some quick rotation spins and true pivot-around-the-wingtip hammerheads. Inverted requires a touch of down elevator with the stock CG, but the Axon still has plenty of elevator to do outside loops with great authority.

3D Aerobatics

It should be pointed out at this point that I have added about 12 grams worth of weight to the tail to move the CG to a spot which produces close to neutral stability (zero elevator needed for upright and inverted). This is neither here nor there as the default CG is perfect for sport flying and aerobatics. However, for the scope of 3D, I wanted a little less stability.

While not specifically designed for 3D, the Axon does perform some of the standard moves rather nicely. Harriers, as mentioned earlier, come relatively naturally when slowed down with some throttle on and some up elevator fed in. Torque rolls can be rather quick and are relatively trouble free. Hovering itself can be a mild challenge as the Axon is relatively short coupled compared to other true 3D ships, but that is to say that she shouldn’t be used as a hover trainer. Once a pilot is accustomed to hovering in general, the Axon should prove no problem. She has plenty of rudder and elevator authority to maintain vertical as well as more than enough aileron authority to counteract torque with my current setup. Blenders are entered with relative ease, though the flat spin never goes completely flat. This may be due to my CG still being mildly conservative and I will continue to experiment in this area. One maneuver which may fall under 3D, depending on your definition, is the knife edge spin. The Axon does this one very well – in fact, better than any plane I’ve tried it with. With so little fuse side area, she does drop like a rock in a knife edge spin, so be warned.
You can find the video here. It's about 4 mb in wmv format.

Here's the first of a few pictures.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2003, 06:59 PM
Leave me alone!
Here's another shot, this time in a harrier pass.
Oct 01, 2003, 07:00 PM
Leave me alone!
Here's another. For bunches more, you'll have to wait for the full blown review

Martin
Oct 02, 2003, 07:45 AM
Enjoying the good life!
Very cool indeed!!!
Oct 02, 2003, 09:05 AM
...very nice

...almost looks like a shorter Tantrum
Oct 02, 2003, 11:21 AM
Martin: are you trying to confuse us? First Tantrum, then Miss June, and now Axon....And each plane seems better than the other until you see the next one..

JL
Oct 11, 2003, 12:40 AM
Leave me alone!
While it wasn't a great day for video, I did get to do some more Axon flying today. I did pretty much all of the standard stuff (loops, rolls, cubans, inside and outside for all) but I also tried some knife edge. Amazingly, she will knife edge, even with such a small amount of fuselage side area. Knife edge, however, does take a good deal of speed and lots of power, as expected. She mildly negatively roll couples as well as a slightly positively pitch coupling. I really got to love doing point hesitation rolls as well as huuuuuuuuuuuge loops, transitioning into a hover in the first 1/4 of the loop before continuing.

Martin
Dec 18, 2003, 08:26 PM
I purchased an axon.

Wonderful building model! great, sleek design.
Wished I could fly it as well as on the video though
Dec 18, 2003, 08:41 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Roger, welcome to R/C Groups! Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure if given some time and practice, you'll be flying like an old pro in no time
Dec 19, 2003, 01:27 PM
Formerly of mcba fame
Not a new thread, but I failed to congratulate first time around

How big is the battery bay? Will it hold biggish nimh packs?

BTW, what made you decide to have the motor on top? Wouldn't the plane look even better with the 'slung' look?

Matthew
Dec 19, 2003, 04:31 PM
Battery bay is 2 3/8" x 1 1/8" by 3/8" deep but of course the battery can sit exposed. I use a 8 cell AAA square pack and there is pleanty of room to move the pack for or aft a bit to adjust CG

the pack sits about 1/3 of it exposed on the bottom.
Dec 20, 2003, 05:48 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Hmmmm... I'm pretty sure my Hecell pack wouldn't fit then - it's 2 5/8" long and would stick out around 3/4".

Matthew
Dec 20, 2003, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mcba
Hmmmm... I'm pretty sure my Hecell pack wouldn't fit then - it's 2 5/8" long and would stick out around 3/4".

Matthew
The battery area on this plane is designed around the E-Tec 1200 cells as they fit perfectly. On a GWS 350 with a 2s1200 it hangs below almost none at all. With a Razor and a 3s pack it hangs down one cell width. I fly mine with a Razor 400 and 3s700's and there is lots of room fore and aft, but one cell still hangs down, but the width of the cells fits the width of this bay perfectly.

I'll try and get some pictures later and post them.

Will
Dec 20, 2003, 01:29 PM
Formerly of mcba fame
I figured that might be the case, guess I'll have to hold off until I''ve got lipos - it just seems a shame to miss such a killer deal.

Matthew