May 24, 2012, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrio
Thats it,had enough of watching you build your bird.Opened the cupboard where my parts are stashed and took the decision....today is the day Mosquito build starts!
I see you have the Traplet wood pack, I hope that it is cut better than the set Bruce and myself had where there were several little things like cutouts for longerons out of place.

Just shout if you have any questions, mine is built and flying but I keep an eye on this because what Bruce gets up to is a real eye opener and I am learning things about general building.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2012, 04:12 PM
So far so good with the Traplet parts.Laid out on the plan they seem pretty accurate.Watching Bruce and his blog is pretty addictive.Hope what I accomplish is half as good!
May 24, 2012, 04:34 PM
Jack of all master of none
Thread OP
motrio.... Just remember to take your time this is no speed contest were not racing each other and another good thing to remember is it's a twin, and you have to do just about every thing twice.
And don't jump around like I do I have been doing that just to figure out how to make parts and at times to keep going until my parts came that I had ordered.
But this is going to be real nice having another plane (Mossie) being built here on this site at the same time.

So were you able to get most of your supplies shipped in be for you started?
I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day and we are upset because they closed the local hobby shop, so we now have to drive 20min. to the next closest one but then I thought about you and how hard it must be to get your supplies,you'll have to be a very good planner.

I have been trying to order most of my stuff from Tower Hobbies because I a member and when you place a large enough order you get free shipping and a discount, Have you ever used them for your supplies or is the TAX to high coming from the USA?

Bruce
May 25, 2012, 12:58 AM
I've managed to import a fair bit of balsa from the UK(enough for 2 planes I reckon).Alot of the hardware I have bought from the US as even with postage its cheaper.I might have to put car on the ferry at some stage and pay a visit to UK for larger stuff.I don't think I will rush this build.If I don't have the supplies,I'll wait until I do.Too nice a bird to rush!
May 25, 2012, 01:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I've managed to import a fair bit of balsa from the UK(enough for 2 planes I reckon).Alot of the hardware I have bought from the US as even with postage its cheaper.I might have to put car on the ferry at some stage and pay a visit to UK for larger stuff.I don't think I will rush this build.If I don't have the supplies,I'll wait until I do.Too nice a bird to rush!
Cool very good if I can be of any help at all just ask and I'll see what I can dohave you ever looked at this site.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/

Let me know what you think I'm on here all of the time I do not sleep much at all any more.
May 25, 2012, 03:12 AM
Still some finishing to do. Very nervous when shaping elevators but very happy the way they look at the moment. Also some of the planes I have hanging about.
May 25, 2012, 06:17 AM
Thread OP
joneswag..looks real good but you may want to glue on the tips on be for you shape it to much more, nice hanger of planes.

Bruce
May 25, 2012, 09:17 AM
Well here you go.!st post of my Mossie build.You seem to have started a trend Bruce.Mosquito build photos turning up from everywhere.And all starting with the tail feathers!4888485[/ATTACH]
May 25, 2012, 11:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Well here you go.!st post of my Mossie build.You seem to have started a trend Bruce.Mosquito build photos turning up from everywhere.And all starting with the tail feathers!4888485[/ATTACH]
motrio ... the one thing that I didn't say was to make sure you stay right on the plans because when the two haves go together (mine didn't match ) so check your fit.

If I had it to do again I would build the second half right on top of the first half.
when you get to the FUSE I would really think about this again mine didn't match and I had to make adjustments.

Bruce
May 25, 2012, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25
motrio ... the one thing that I didn't say was to make sure you stay right on the plans because when the two haves go together (mine didn't match ) so check your fit.

If I had it to do again I would build the second half right on top of the first half.
when you get to the FUSE I would really think about this again mine didn't match and I had to make adjustments.

Bruce
When I built my Mosquito fuse the two sides didn't match either. Another trick I've learned about since is to wipe a small amount of linseed oil on the plan. This makes the paper transparent but leaves the ink lines clearly visible so when you flip the plan over there is a perfect mirror image, I haven't tried this myself yet, let us know how you get on.
May 25, 2012, 05:13 PM
Only building tail at the moment.Took Bruces advice.(You are building a twin!You might have to build twice.)Built the first part of the tail.Built the other half on top so everything lines up perfect!This is my first scale build and appreciate all the input from all you guys!
May 25, 2012, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25

Bruce
Have been watching your build for a while now.Taking in all you are doing.Watching,learning then doing.You made mistakes and posted so us mere mortals can avoid them!
May 25, 2012, 05:32 PM
Thread OP
That's a good tip grham.. but I think that these plans have been copied so many times that they maybe off some and building in haves if very tricky anyway, there's is a guy over at RCSB that is building 124" ws. Mossie.

That has mentioned building the second have on top of the first to make sure it will line up perfect you just have to put a straight edge on each former as you glue them in place and build some kind of a cradle to hold the first have.
I use styrofoam coolers for this kind of thing there cheep and can be cut to fit w/ a hacksaw blade you can see them in my posts.

Well I didn't get to build anything today but this evening I hope to get back to the plug and will make some progress this weekend it's going to be hot as here so I won't be going outside, war movies and model airplane building for me
May 25, 2012, 05:52 PM
Watching box set of Pacific again.
May 25, 2012, 07:48 PM
No Hangar Queens!
I hear ya man. I went out to the field today and about got fried. Batts were super warm when they came down but no puffs. Motrio, scale building is super tedious but can be super fun once you get past the bulk of the build. The reward for countless hours putting on rivets and stuff makes it all that much more worth it. Not to mention I get a greater adrenaline rush in flying something I built over an ARF. Your investment of love and attention is more on the line than a hunk of foam or something pre-fabbed.

Quick Reply