Mar 17, 2013, 10:04 PM
I just got back recently from Gunsmoke 2013 Scalemasters Qualifier. I thought you guys might enjoy seeing a couple of photos of my 1/5 scale bird.

Regards,
Tom
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2013, 10:55 AM
sKrude up, Rejected!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRWolf
I just got back recently from Gunsmoke 2013 Scalemasters Qualifier. I thought you guys might enjoy seeing a couple of photos of my 1/5 scale bird.

Regards,
Tom
Looks great Tom, I remember seeing your pictures at Jim's shop (California Hobbies).

splinterz25,
I'm really enjoying all 3 of your builds,
I haven't posted before, didn't have anything to contribute...
Mar 20, 2013, 04:50 PM
Jack of all master of none
Thread OP
DogFly... welcome on board glad your enjoying the builds TOMS PLANES ARE AMAZING
I hope my Mossie looks half as good as his when I get around to finishing it LOL.

Bruce
Mar 28, 2013, 12:23 AM
Well Bruce I finally remembered to take some photos of my progress. Didn't like the elevators so I started agin from scratch. This time used a different approach and they came out OK. The flaps, I have rough sanded them and found that the inner flap, because the movement is almost parallel when the Flap moves down the upper side almost hits the wing and was difficult to sheet and I had to change it abit (see photos).
I have some parts for the undercarriage and start on that next.
All best
Rod
Mar 28, 2013, 03:43 AM
Thread OP
Roddie ... LOOKS GREAT nice and clean and the FLAP motion looks right as well.
Your going to pass me by w/ your progress but that's okay then you can give me some pointers.

Bruce
Mar 28, 2013, 07:32 AM
Buddha
Looks great. Nice job
Apr 09, 2013, 12:25 AM
Thread OP
Roddie.... any updates?
Apr 09, 2013, 05:52 PM
Hi Bruce

Started to look at the undercarriage and thought I would need to do both side simultaneously so I put the wings together, found a problem when joining them. So I have been rebuilding the wing roots and developed a method to allow them to be taken apart. Now I have to rebuild the fusalage wing mount to incorporate the new method. Have taken photos as I progress and will post when I finish the wing joint and start the fusalage.
Then I can get back to the undercarriage !!!!!

All Best Rod
Apr 10, 2013, 02:12 AM

The Joining of the two Wingst

Bruce

I have worked on the ability to remove the wings from the fusalage with some success. I have not yet built the solution into the fusalage, thats next. I have two screws in each wing that bolts the wings to the locator (that is built into the fusalage). These locators must just allow the wing to slide into the fuslarge and hold it while the wing jioning bolts are tightened and then the two (per wing) bolts tightended. (currently I showed the temp screws) I have to install the fixed mounted nuts. You can see the work in the photos..
Last edited by Roddie; Apr 10, 2013 at 02:37 AM.
Apr 10, 2013, 03:59 AM
Thread OP
Roddie... The way I ended up doing mine was the wing dihedral brace free floated
and was not connected to the FUSE it only gave the wing the proppar angle, but once the wings were bolted together it fit snug in between the main spars and the two thumb screws would hold the the two haves while the four main bolts were screwed threw the ALUM tabs.
Roddie go back and look at page 12 esp. report 168 but have a look at the whole page.
I'm sure yous will be different but you can see how I did mine for a base ref.
If I remember correctly I tried to make the dihedral brace fixed also but because the tight fit threw the fuse sides and w/ the angle it would not work.
And don't forget the keel brace on the fuse this takes the wing load while in flight
the bolts them selves won't be enough to hold the wing together.

I hope I was helpful,

Bruce
Apr 10, 2013, 06:17 AM
Thanks Bruce, I had a look and can see what you mean. I will add in the keel brace as I rebuild the fusalage. Lucky that I stopped planking to build the wings so it will be easy to make the changes The rear wing brace has to be 19 mm from the Fusalage former (forget the number) but the fus rear wing former. Will build the 19 mm space in (to correctly locate the wing in relationship to the fusalage) and provide support for the wing and the keel brace. Will do that and post some photos as I progress.

Your comments are most helpful. All best and thanks

Rod
Apr 10, 2013, 01:29 PM
Thread OP
Glad I was able to help you Rod and that you remembered the keel be for it was to late.
May 01, 2013, 02:12 PM
Thread OP
Did all of you guys stop building on your Mossies just because I jumped on to a new build?

Bruce
May 01, 2013, 03:01 PM
I had been wondering where everybody had gone, sorry Bruce i had not been following your other build i will have to check it out, when do you hope to get time to do more on the Mossie
May 01, 2013, 07:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert the bear
I had been wondering where everybody had gone, sorry Bruce i had not been following your other build i will have to check it out, when do you hope to get time to do more on the Mossie
rupert I need to get away from landing gear for awhile and this set of PBY plans was given to me and it WON'T HAVE LANDING GEAR and has been a fun build so far so check it out and I hope you enjoy this one as well.

Bruce

Quick Reply