Revolectrix Announces the NEW MPA! - Page 13 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Jun 29, 2012, 08:16 AM
Suspended Account
Nick, I hesitate to suggest it, but what about some short adapters for JST male to Thunderpower female? I'm sure somebody makes them as I remember using them about 5 years ago.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2012, 11:10 AM
Revolectrix Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBee
Is there an MPA board with TP balance connections yet?
THANKS!!!!
Nick,
I just got some TP packs for the first time so I'm in the same boat. The thing I noticed about the TP packs is they balance leads are very short and super stiff. Even if a TP parallel board were available from Revolectrix, it would be hard to use and maybe even contribute to premature balance wire breaking.

My first plan was to get some short adapters from HobbyKing. They are super inexpensive and shipping was not to bad. On my last order to EpBuddy I decided to get a few of the adapters in the in link below. I was very impressed with these. Soft silicone, and the TP female connectors are mounted to tiny boards so the pins don't slip out like on the HK ones.

Because of the added length and the soft flexible wires, it will be a lot easier to connect a bunch of TP packs to the MPA.

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=296
Jun 29, 2012, 11:16 AM
Suspended Account
O.K., Nick, how about some "long" adapters?
Jun 29, 2012, 11:53 PM
Registered User
The wacky thing is I already have these balance adapters since I was using a 4x50w multi charger. I guess for now I will continue to used them and solder ec3s to the bare wire version of the mpa board.

Thanks guys.
Jul 01, 2012, 08:35 PM
Registered User
Here's a wacky question. Can you get to the back of the MPA board? Say if i wanted to solder on my own ec3 pig-tails?

Thanks!
Jul 01, 2012, 08:56 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBee
Here's a wacky question. Can you get to the back of the MPA board? Say if i wanted to solder on my own ec3 pig-tails?

Thanks!
Hi:

There are actually 2 PCB assemblies. The main PCB only carries balance connectors and interwiring. You wouldn't want to solder EC3's to that board. The power board is mounted above the main board on standoffs. Of course you could disassemble the MPA and likely access the underside of the power board, but I would not advise it. You will instantly void your warranty. I can also not condone your request because it would be irresponsible not knowing your skill levels and soldering capabilities.

Tim Marks
Jul 01, 2012, 09:01 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks
Hi:

There are actually 2 PCB assemblies. The main PCB only carries balance connectors and interwiring. You wouldn't want to solder EC3's to that board. The power board is mounted above the main board on standoffs. Of course you could disassemble the MPA and likely access the underside of the power board, but I would not advise it. You will instantly void your warranty. I can also not condone your request because it would be irresponsible not knowing your skill levels and soldering capabilities.

Tim Marks
GOT IT! i guess I'll just solder a bunch of ec3's to the existing wires on the bare wire MPA. Any news if there is thunder power version of the MPA in the works.?

Thanks for making a great product with great support. I got to use regen storage charging at the field today. Amazing tech!
Jul 03, 2012, 05:12 PM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
Tim,

Here is an off the wall suggestion.

Since the power board is completely independent of the balance board would it be feasible to build different power boards and then offer them individually?

Along those lines your could offer TP balance boards and sell them chinese style. One from column A and one from column B.

It sounds interesting as I write this, but I expect there are stocking and distribution concerns that will make it prohibitive. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

BTW I love mine. Originally I thought the price was a bit high but after using it for a couple of months I feel it is worth every nickle.

Glen
Jul 04, 2012, 12:22 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
Tim,

Here is an off the wall suggestion.

Since the power board is completely independent of the balance board would it be feasible to build different power boards and then offer them individually?

Along those lines your could offer TP balance boards and sell them chinese style. One from column A and one from column B.

It sounds interesting as I write this, but I expect there are stocking and distribution concerns that will make it prohibitive. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

BTW I love mine. Originally I thought the price was a bit high but after using it for a couple of months I feel it is worth every nickle.

Glen
Hi Glen:

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep it in mind.

Tim Marks
Jul 12, 2012, 03:20 PM
Registered User
Hi I just want to confirm one thing. I am looking at buying the PL8 and the MPA board.

Can you not just charge through the balance taps with this or do you NEED to blug both the power and balance taps into the board??

I understand there are charging restrictions I would be doing this on my smaller 2 and 3s lipo packs.

Thanks
Jul 12, 2012, 05:49 PM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats!
Hi I just want to confirm one thing. I am looking at buying the PL8 and the MPA board.

Can you not just charge through the balance taps with this or do you NEED to blug both the power and balance taps into the board??

I understand there are charging restrictions I would be doing this on my smaller 2 and 3s lipo packs.

Thanks
There are a couple of presets that allow charging through the main leads only (one and two cell packs). There are no presets that allow charging through the balance leads only. Most presets require both the balance and main leads.

Glen
Jul 12, 2012, 11:56 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats!
Hi I just want to confirm one thing. I am looking at buying the PL8 and the MPA board.

Can you not just charge through the balance taps with this or do you NEED to blug both the power and balance taps into the board??

I understand there are charging restrictions I would be doing this on my smaller 2 and 3s lipo packs.

Thanks
Hi:

The PL8 does support balance-wire-only charging on most presets; however, this will only work when the unit is in FMA WIRING MODE. When using the MPA, the PL8 must be set for XH WIRING MODE. Consequently, the MPA requires that both the balance connectors and the main pack leads be connected for all charging operations.

Tim Marks
Jul 13, 2012, 02:11 AM
Registered User
Thanks for the quick response guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks
Hi:

The PL8 does support balance-wire-only charging on most presets; however, this will only work when the unit is in FMA WIRING MODE. When using the MPA, the PL8 must be set for XH WIRING MODE. Consequently, the MPA requires that both the balance connectors and the main pack leads be connected for all charging operations.

Tim Marks
Jul 14, 2012, 11:30 AM
Registered User
What stopped me from the PL6 & 8 was something like the MPA board, its great, its here but I don't get it.

If I am buying a 240$ charger and a hyped out power supply don't you think I would have higher end packs. I have been ditching all my cheap china brands and replacing them with Hyperion and TP yet all FMA sells is an MPA board for cheap packs??

I know I can buy adapters and connectors but I plan on getting rid of everything that has the jst in the next year.

Are there plans to make an MPA with the HYP/TP adapters???

Thanks
Jul 14, 2012, 11:33 AM
Suspended Account
Yikes! I use 2 PL 8's and 2 MPA boards with "cheap" Gens Ace lipos and love em!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold FMA/Revolectrix CellPro Multi 4 Charger, with Extras ***New Price*** Woody_99 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 7 Aug 30, 2011 05:20 PM
Discussion Parkzone Announces New SE-5a Dale1957 Electric Plane Talk 4 May 27, 2011 03:18 PM
Discussion FMA/Revolectrix Announces U.S. Warehouse Jamie Marks FMA Direct 6 Apr 25, 2011 07:21 AM
For Sale New Cellpro Revolectrix Lipo Battery Pack 3300 Broken Wings Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 0 Feb 16, 2010 10:00 PM
Sold New Cellpro Revolectrix 11.1v 2200mah 25c lipo cryhavoc38 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 0 Apr 03, 2008 01:29 PM