This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 05, 2013, 08:30 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Good to hear all went well !

Actually the Me-163 takes a heavier battery very well, it is quite a floater with that huge wing. Mine still glides forever and I have a big 9S 3300mAh in mine.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2013, 06:07 PM
HELP im trying to find out where the correct CG is.
the ins it sys 115-125 from LE.
but that tells me nothing as it is a swept wing.
the 163 is made from flyboy models.
also i would like to have the gear drop manually as i fly off ruff grass and gravity drop might come off before i take off.
( no idea how to do it ) make a manual gear drop.
help how do i make a manual gear drop for the 163.
Mar 05, 2013, 06:24 PM
Osprey,
the measurement it taken at the wing root.
I fly mine with fixed gear as we fly off hard surface runway.
There are a few ways mentioned on this thread as to how to make drop off gear,
just go back a few pages.
hope this helps.
Don
Mar 06, 2013, 02:37 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Hi all,

I just flew mine again a few times (3x) last Sunday, here's my CG and throws, I re-measured them this morning.

It seems my CG (135mm, red tape line) is a bit behind the recommended one, but it still seems quite safe to me.

Note that I fly with about 5mm up on both ailerons (reflex).

Mar 06, 2013, 09:25 PM
I have 2 two of these Komets and the initial CG range is 152-160mm
or 6.0 - 6.25 in., measured from leading edge where the wing meets
the fuselage, after several flights mine are set at 6.25 in or 160mm
and fly great, I tried at 6.5 in. but it has a tendcy to snap/stall on slow
high bank turns, not good on this plane, it needs altitude to recover!!.

HTH, Allen
Mar 31, 2013, 11:03 PM
Hello there herb,just wanted to say thank you for starting this thread, and sharing your experience on the bird,and also for inspiring me to build one, thanks again, see you out at the field.
Apr 01, 2013, 12:05 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Hi Jeff,

Nice to see you landed here !
Apr 17, 2013, 12:10 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Just noticed this very nice Komet site

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/avi...met-24377.html

Nice pictures, some interesting ones of the Me-263 ...

Besides this classical one : http://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/me163.htm
Apr 18, 2013, 09:46 AM
Hi Herb,

Wow !! Great find !!! Thanks.

I've never seen that site/thread... Weather is just getting good for flying here and my Komet will be back in the air soon.

I came across these smoke units and thought of the Komet right away. They would be great for other warbird projects where you needed smoke added.

They use Smoke Oil and a 3 to 6s battery. The test below is short test one of their small units and the next link is a demo of a full set up.

Smoke-EL (S) an 6S Lipo. (0 min 9 sec)

Smoke_EL on the ground and in the Air (0 min 45 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/user/GunterZ1?feature=watch

http://www.smokeel-shop.de/epages/62...s/SmokeAnlagen

I think USAJets is the US distributor.

Your page is going into my Komet Bookmark folder thanks.

Joe

Edit: I always have a hard time looking at the 163 shown in the 3rd picture from the top in that thread. It looks so over restored to me. Maybe it's just me being weird but it's too nice!! lol
Apr 18, 2013, 11:43 AM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Yes those rockets would be fun to try ... out west I am a bit worried about possible issues with fire danger though.

Yes that Me-163 at RAF Cosford looks too nice, I believe it went through several repaints.

It is possible that eventually nobody had any clear idea of what the original paint job was like, maybe just some blurry b&w picture of the 1945 original...

Apr 18, 2013, 01:05 PM
Hi Herb,

The smoke is not a solid fuel rocket. It's a liquid smoke oil set up like used on a gas/glow engine. Except the unit that "burns' the smoke oil is fed by a fluid pump into electric heating element built into that tube/housing.

The smoke oil gets pumped onto the heating element and poooofff.....

I can't find any pictures of the heating element which isn't surprising as that's the heart of the system. But I keep thinking of a old coiled coffee heater on steroids,

The whole set up is run off it's own 3s - 6s battery depending on your spec.

It really peaked my interest finding an electric smoke system that used fluid to create the smoke. Just choose your smoke oil tank size and you'd have a display time of any length you wanted.

The cost of it will mean it'll have to wait for the right project where I can justify it.

I do wonder about heat of the tube enclosure hidden inside a fuse but I'm sure with planing it could be done.

Here's some pics of some of their set ups. Looks like they have both carbon and aluminum tubes.

Joe
Apr 19, 2013, 01:19 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Nice ... starts to get a bit complicated for my taste ... Let us know how it goes !!
May 31, 2013, 12:15 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
My Me-163 flies so well I smoked a second speed controller (the second Turnigy Brain that I did not use in my AW Me-262)

I guess it was moderately hot day at Prado, and it was the third flight of the day @ 3600W when the mosfets blew ...

Replaced it in the evening with a Turnigy K-Force 120A HV (made by Hobbywing) which is a much better controller and flew again the next day ...

Had to take the K-Force 120A out of the F-86 Sabre which is down for gear & fan maintenance.

Jul 02, 2013, 02:44 PM
DS will change your life
A little Komet video.

ME163 Komet (1 min 30 sec)

Regards
S
Aug 01, 2013, 12:15 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
And here's a nice video of the CY/BP Komet flying with a gas engine ... nice aerobatics.

I suspect the field is somewhere in the UK.

Messerschmitt Me 163B (rc plane) (2 min 35 sec)

Quick Reply