length 14cm/13.38inch
weight 92 grams/3.24 ounces (?)

2 x 3 gr servo's (hobby king)
9 grams motor
6 amp speed controller 7 grams
small 4 ch corona sinth receiver 6 grams or so
2c 350 mah lipo

it's my second lazy bee...
I took the original 2 a4 sheets and copied them at 70% to make it a little smaller (and it was'nt big to start with)
The first one flew beatifull indoor and outside was 140 grams flew with a 450 mah lipo.

Originaly I wanted to have some suspension so where the wheels come i made a block with springs, but during the build i found it was getting a bit bulky and heavy so I opted for softer wheels.
The side's have a bit of depron milled out, I use 3 mm sheets and milled 2 mm out to save weight.
the prop in the pic is way too big and would hit the ground I used a smaller one (5 inch )

the suspension idea was simple but has'nt been tested so I don't know if it would work properly, I saved it for a future project.

so without supension there would have to be an alternative, I tried soft foam wheels before but in those builds the planes were heavier and it would look like the tires were flat, but this ones so lite it works a treat!
They were made from a block fixed to my dremel and the whole thing was atacked with some sandpaper whilst spinning madly

grey is not the collor for the wheels I took the edding and made e'm black.
The sides are epoxied on with some pressure so there's a balloon effect on the tire

after getting all seperate things ready I slapped it all together for a pic
the wing 's a simple bent plate wich is fixed with a rubber band, I'm planning for a little test with a full profile wing and a KFm profile wing to test the lift properties.
I have to build those wings first though and that takes some time here (life getting in the way)

I got an idea for it to able to drop bombs and tried to incorporate it, dry testing it worked, but I want her to fly good first later I can test dropping stuff
there were several ideas for the paint job but I went for the russian look with a bee's tail piece!

There should be a pilot in this plane and thanks to the surpise eggs of my kids and the short lives those toys have, there's lots o pilotes in wait!
also from the same source a nice exhaust. (not realy large but then it does'nt need a big engine!)
I can't resist if toy's break of have to get thrown away to scavenge them for usable parts.

there are times when i get bored and don't want to do a lot, to klill time I start cutting stencils from overhead sheets a lot of work but perfect for airbrushing (can't take credit for the design though because I found some big enough pics on the net )

one last pic where you see the rubberband rolding the wing..

yesterday after work there was some time for a test flight (sorta second maiden)
The maiden was a reasonable succes... I had the deflections at low low rates but not low enough so every little rudder input resulted in a sharp turn
so after resetting everything to even less deflection and improving the motormount (sticking the engine in a depron blok was not strong enough, so now its wood and even that split on me after a bad landing (tips anyone?)
But it's noting some epoxy won't fix

flying thusfar is still a challenge rudder and elevator deflection needs to be realy (realy) smal, after that I think I got her dialed in, and we can star thinking about the effectiveness of my bombdrop!

grtz Richard
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2011, 12:47 PM
I can't fly
Any airplane with a Red Star is really BAD!

Dec 16, 2011, 01:40 PM
it still has to prove itself in flight!
it's not completely dialed in yet so I might consider a respray?
Oct 19, 2012, 06:09 AM
Hi, is it possible to insert here to download a mini plan Lazy Bee, which can be printed on A4? Thank you.
Dec 03, 2012, 12:55 PM

Flight Test

Did this thing ever fly? I built a copy, and it is totaly unstable.
ganguy
Dec 04, 2012, 03:36 AM
this one was unstable too but it flew.. i built a bigger version before this one and that one flew perfect so scaling up from a4 to a3 wil probably help this little one

i think its meant to be this small ... i'll look up the german forum i found it on later and report back!
Dec 04, 2012, 10:01 AM
My buddy Ganguy built this as a first build and it turns out that it's unfliable. I'd be testflying and getting the bugs out of a plane before i'd put it on the website. A waste of time.

Gord.
Dec 04, 2012, 10:05 AM
I agree Gord!
Ganguy
Dec 04, 2012, 10:36 AM
the bigger version flew great and this one did fly with a little unstable behavior.... its all credits to building lite and straight.

so no bugs and no testing needed its a tried an flown concept!
Dec 04, 2012, 01:34 PM
http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/boar...mini-lazy-bee/

have a look round here (Don't be scared of the foreign language use translation if needed )

i'm not realy sure how to upload pdf's to this forum but these plans are scattered all over the net so probably easily found!
Last edited by r1chard; Dec 04, 2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: addition
Dec 05, 2012, 11:08 PM
Hi R1chard,about that motor mount problem,I have been having great success using the monoblock method from Dzsf1b's Blazy bee thread here on Rcg.Instead of the blue foam I use Epp and hollow it out where needed.I think it would work well at your size.My current ones are 26" and 180g rtf.Scott.
Dec 06, 2012, 07:40 AM
that would be a sollution!
i'll try that in a second build... the front of the first one was a bit mangeled after too many nose in landings...

@ ganguy : I remembered that I scaled this one down a bit so that makes the whole plane a bit more critical !
so if you print it out on letter or a4 size paper you should be fine
Dec 06, 2012, 10:12 AM

Scale

Well, I built it to size and scale, about 20"" wingspan. It is super-critical. I think the lemgth is too short. I am scrapping this model and moving up to a 29.5" wingspan, set of plans from another builder.
Dec 06, 2012, 02:36 PM
Visitor from Reality
Well, that's a cute little puppyBee.

Way back when the Lazy Bee was a new and exciting product, I got together with designer Andy Clancy on several occasions. He would often show up at meets and give out free plans - back when plans had to be printed on big sheets of paper and rolled up before you could get one . These were often large scale models of something based on the Lazy Bee.

None of them ever made to kits or plans for sale either...

The Lazy Bee is, to Bee nice, a fairly energetic little flyer. My favourite trick with my first ever - a 40" one with an OS 15 up front - was a rolling circle. The snag is, opposite to how the Big Lazy Bee is fairly idle compared to the Lazy Bee, littleBees are, well, vicious.

Suggest you up the span and go for a large scale model of the 48" Long Wing Lazy Bee - that was identical to the basic Lazy but for an 8" longer wing centre section. It was a lot calmer in flight and the only large scale Lazy Bee I've seen fly without causing palpitations about its pilot was a 36" span 75% full scale of a Long Wing Lazy Bee.

It can be made to work. There was a German made - well, maybe Chinese-German - slightly smaller than full size that flew pretty well and there's a downloadable PDF floating around somewhere of a smaller model of a Bee, though I have no idea where. It looks a lot like Richard's model in structure, though I recall it's a little larger all round.

Love the bomb drop!

Regards

Dereck
Dec 06, 2012, 03:33 PM

Video

Somewhere on the thread there is a set of photos of 6 or seven guys all with what looks like 30inch Bees, flying in a gym. Looks tame enough that I am going to try it, I've cut foam already. (30.5inches to be exact)

Quick Reply