Mar 07, 2013, 07:43 PM
edited.
Last edited by manhill; Mar 07, 2013 at 09:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2013, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpilot
Remember way back when with the #11 we had the color breathing problems? Well using mine recently after a long time on the bench it was still doing that.

So my question is which one should I buy right now to replace it? What is the best keychain cam available right now experts?

Thanks.
Iso said... You mean color hunting? New firmware solved the problem, but that's off topic in the #16 thread

A bit off topic, sorry, but as far as I could see firmware changes didn't resolve the colour hunting brown /green problem with the 11#. It's still very obvious on my videos. The 16v1 or 2 is miles better though.
Mar 08, 2013, 05:15 AM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolin
One quick question:
Can I power this transmitter
http://fpvhobby.com/transmitter/21-2...ansmitter.html
from the internal battery of the #16?
Well you might get away with it, and you might not.

The camera takes about 300 mAmps from the battery in normal use,

I seem to remember reports that you get a reduction of about 10% run time when video out is selected. (say another 30 mA )

So in theory another 70 mA for the tx should give you another 20%(ish) reduction, but remember that these batteries are low cost items designed for (almost) throw away stuff so that an extra 70 mA could be the straw that breaks the camels back......

Maybe the new large case camera has a physically bigger (and thus more able) battery fitted? (too lazy to search ;( ).

Mike
Last edited by empeabee; Mar 08, 2013 at 05:20 AM. Reason: clarification
Mar 08, 2013, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee

I seem to remember reports that you get a reduction of about 10% run time when video out is selected. (say another 30 mA )

So in theory another 70 mA for the tx should give you another 20%(ish) reduction, but remember that these batteries are low cost items designed for (almost) throw away stuff so that an extra 70 mA could be the straw that breaks the camels back......

Maybe the new large case camera has a physically bigger (and thus more able) battery fitted? (too lazy to search ;( ).

Mike
Thank you for the reply, Mike.
It looks my tiny RC Eye One have to lug 3 batteries. Unless I decide to remove the internal battery of the #16, but I guess this could cause other problems, like lost camera settings.
Mar 08, 2013, 07:56 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee

Mike
The video-out current penalty results in about 10 min. less recording time rather than 10% less. With the normal 250 mAH battery, this drops the recording time from 40+ min. to 30+ min., or about a 25% decrease. Just going from the time decrease, the estimated total amp draw with video out enabled would be close to 375 mA. Add in the 70 mA TX load gives about 445 mA, dropping the camera operating time by close to another 10 min. less. So just guessing, it MIGHT be possible to get a 20 min. flight IF the battery was in great health and fully charged, and IF the ambient temperature was not cold.

The flat bottom case does allow a larger battery which can boost the recording time (without video-out or TX load) from 40+ min. to 60+ min., but there is a weight gain with the larger battery and case of about 1-1/4 gms. I suspect weight is at a premium in the poster's application, so a larger battery may not be feasible.

Having said all that, if I were flying FPV with a setup like this, I would want a better, more reliable power source than either of the stock camera batteries.
Mar 08, 2013, 08:00 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolin
Thank you for the reply, Mike.
It looks my tiny RC Eye One have to lug 3 batteries. Unless I decide to remove the internal battery of the #16, but I guess this could cause other problems, like lost camera settings.
If you remove the camera internal battery, you will not lose any camera settings other than the time/date. The battery keeps the real-time clock in the camera running when the camera is turned off.
Mar 08, 2013, 08:25 AM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
The video-out current penalty results in about 10

-------

Having said all that, if I were flying FPV with a setup like this, I would want a better, more reliable power source than either of the stock camera batteries.
Thanks Tom for the clarification
Mike
Mar 08, 2013, 08:50 AM
Quote:
If you remove the camera internal battery, you will not lose any camera settings other than the time/date. The battery keeps the real-time clock in the camera running when the camera is turned off.
Thank you for all the details, Tom.
Mar 08, 2013, 10:45 AM
Winter Flying - AXN Clouds Fly (6 min 38 sec)

Some video from yesterday.
I know some won't prefer the fisheye look.
Mar 08, 2013, 11:41 AM
Tried a search but couldn't find any info on this. How long does the battery last in only standby mode with no recording? Has anyone ever run this test? This is with the standard battery on the #16
I emailed eletoponline to ask if this new case comes with the 502030 battery or the 402030 one. I'm not entirely comfortable opening this camera just yet to find out. Thanks, everyone!
Mar 08, 2013, 11:59 AM
Ascended Master
I have the same question for how long in standby, relative to using the motion detection mode. There's large capacity single-cell batteries for the helicopters that could power the 808 a lot longer than the internal battery, while waiting for action.
And would it be necessary to disconnect the internal battery?
Mar 08, 2013, 12:05 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo88
Tried a search but couldn't find any info on this. How long does the battery last in only standby mode with no recording? Has anyone ever run this test? This is with the standard battery on the #16
I emailed eletoponline to ask if this new case comes with the 502030 battery or the 402030 one. I'm not entirely comfortable opening this camera just yet to find out. Thanks, everyone!
Do you mean with video-out toggled on or off. Even in standby mode, the video-out signal is being generated if it's toggled on, but I've not measured how long it lasts. Ditto for just idling in standby mode (with video-out and auto-shutoff both toggled off).

I had some info about the battery in my post announcing the new case (see link in post #2). I believe it's shipped with the smaller battery unless you specifically request the larger one. FWIW, the new case is easily opened (just remove the two screws and pop it open) and not subject to damaging the retention lugs on the front like the old case. But if you already have the camera, you could just fully charge it, put in a memory card with at least 4GB capacity, and see how long it will record before turning off. Toggle on the date/time stamp so you can easily check recording time from that. The small battery should give about 40 min., and the large one about 60 min.
Mar 08, 2013, 12:21 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
I have the same question for how long in standby, relative to using the motion detection mode. There's large capacity single-cell batteries for the helicopters that could power the 808 a lot longer than the internal battery, while waiting for action.
And would it be necessary to disconnect the internal battery?
Someone needs to test for how long the camera can remain in standby mode with motion detection turned on but not recording. But I'm not sure what that will tell you. Motion detection requires the CMOS to be turned on and capturing an image (but not recording it while waiting). The current will jump and the voltage will drop substantially when motion is detected and the recording starts. So how long can it then record afterwards? It will depend on when motion is detected and for how long.

If you power with external power via the USB plug (the preferred way), there is no risk to the internal cell. If you connect power direct to the internal cell power lead points with the internal cell still connected, you risks a sudden excessive current surge to/from the small cell. The small protection circuit on the internal battery MAY have protection circuitry to clamp these excessive currents... some do, but it's not been confirmed if the stock battery protection circuit has this capability. Best to remove the internal cell first, and to charge the external cell with a dedicated external lipo charger. Of course, you'll lose the internal clock setting every time the battery is disconnected.
Mar 08, 2013, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Someone needs to test for how long the camera can remain in standby mode with motion detection turned on but not recording. But I'm not sure what that will tell you. Motion detection requires the CMOS to be turned on and capturing an image (but not recording it while waiting). The current will jump and the voltage will drop substantially when motion is detected and the recording starts. So how long can it then record afterwards? It will depend on when motion is detected and for how long.

If you power with external power via the USB plug (the preferred way), there is no risk to the internal cell. If you connect power direct to the internal cell power lead points with the internal cell still connected, you risks a sudden excessive current surge to/from the small cell. The small protection circuit on the internal battery MAY have protection circuitry to clamp these excessive currents... some do, but it's not been confirmed if the stock battery protection circuit has this capability. Best to remove the internal cell first, and to charge the external cell with a dedicated external lipo charger. Of course, you'll lose the internal clock setting every time the battery is disconnected.
I just ran the test right now. It seems to have been on standby mode for 70 minutes with about 20 recordings of about 1 min in length dispersed within that time.
I found something interesting, however. I noticed that after about an hour the motion-detector seems to no longer work anymore (it doesn't go into stand-by mode after 15 seconds, my setting) but just keeps on recording as if motion-detection was turned off. When I try to turn it off it blinks yellow, then red.....then goes into the solid yellow standby mode. Does some strange things when it's low on battery.
Tom, do you know if motion detection is something that automatically turns off once the battery reaches a certain threshold level?
Mar 08, 2013, 12:59 PM
Ascended Master
OK, here goes... 808 #16 in motion detect mode, attached via USB to an eFlite 3.7v 500mah Lipo.. start time noted. Internal battery connected.
60 sec delay time.

Quick Reply