Nov 15, 2012, 12:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenci
Thanks for you comments.

I also tried several cables on several ports on several computers. The same thing, the green led is off. Yesterday i have "charged" it over 10 hours.

I have the old v1, with the same cable the v1 charges without problems, with green led on. I dont know what to do. I have to wait what eletoponline has to say.

Maybe a defect battery? I have a spare battery for the v1. Should i try this on in v2?

The mass storage is working without problems
It could also be a defective charging circuit in the camera. Things you can do in the interim:

1. Try powering the camera with the external car charger cord to see if the camera will record normally.
2. If that works, open the case (see manufacturer's instructions linked in post #10) for tips when doing this. Unplug the battery and check the voltage on the pins (should be nominally 4.2v if the battery is fully charged, but this does NOT guarantee the battery is holding a charge sufficient to power the camera!). Then re-insert the battery plug to be sure it is fully seated.
3. Visually inspect the circuit board where the battery plug is soldered to look for cracked or missing solder joints with the plug.

If those don't show any problems, then your battery is most likely a dud. You should be able to get a warranty replacement if the camera is new.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2012, 01:00 PM
So, i have replaced the battery with the new one. It doesnt charge at all, no green led, but it recorded above the 20 seconds. I think it is the board that doesnt charge the battery.
Nov 15, 2012, 01:01 PM
Suspended Account
del
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
Nov 15, 2012, 03:01 PM
Gave up with the battery issue, I now power it from the receiver directly and I used it as the live feed out for FPV
It went better than expected

Parkzone Stryker F27-Q FPV First Person View RC Flight (3 min 15 sec)
Nov 15, 2012, 03:31 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Video will not play for me.
Says your video contains Hospital Records and is banned.????
Nov 15, 2012, 03:31 PM
Mtz
Mtz
Quote:
So, i have replaced the battery with the new one. It doesnt charge at all, no green led, but it recorded above the 20 seconds. I think it is the board that doesnt charge the battery.
Try what said Tom in the previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
1. Try powering the camera with the external car charger cord to see if the camera will record normally.
Your camera should work as Tom said, no matter if the battery is bad or some charging circuit is dead. Just use the same cable and source which is working for your V1.

Also you can try to charge the battery from the V2 version into the V1 version camera which is working for you. If the battery is charging, then the problem is the V2 camera Charger IC which is marked as 08BJ (see attached pictures).

If only the battery have problems, the green light must to work.

But I am almost sure the problem is the charger IC which was damaged by some short circuit when using the USB charging.

If the camera Charger IC is damaged it is possible to replace it using a SGM4054 (or equivalent) or SGM4055 (TP4055). See attached pictures.
Even the new charger IC have just 5 pins not 6, it will work, the only thing to care is the pin order.
If you can find this circuit on some local electronic shop, go with your camera to some phone repairing workshop because they have the tools for replacing small components.

enjoy,
Mtz
Last edited by Mtz; Nov 16, 2012 at 06:23 AM.
Nov 15, 2012, 03:33 PM
Another question :

Can i power the camera from an 3,7v smartphone battery? It's an 2680 mah. What's about overloading, overheating if it's been charged through the camera's USB connector ?
Nov 15, 2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks mtz,

i haven't made a short circuit. For the first time charging it used the cable that comes with the camera. At first connect the green led was also off.

Tom,
i tried recording with external power (USB). No problems at all. I removed the camera's battery and checked the two pins at the board. With USB powered, i measured 0v. There must be power on that two pins, or not? Thus i think it's the ic as mtz said.
Nov 15, 2012, 04:05 PM
NE Texas, USA

external battery

@kenci

Yes, you can power it with an external battery.. I opened up the case and soldered leads to the battery and extended the cable out the back of the unit using a JST connector.. Works great, with run times approaching 8 hours with the right battery/memory combo.. Now I can charge both the camera and external battery with my regular lipo charger.

Paul
Last edited by Patchitagain; Nov 15, 2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo
Nov 15, 2012, 04:27 PM
MTZ, thanks for your technical input. Do you know of a #16 audio injection point that is fixed level, not affected by movie sound levels 1, 2 and 3? Want to record 1200 baud FSK telemetry flight data.
Nov 15, 2012, 04:31 PM
Mtz
Mtz
My technical knowledge is limited. I can't answer at your question, sorry.
Maybe Isoprop can give you a better answer or another forum user.
Nov 15, 2012, 05:10 PM

USB cable for extern power supply

Can anybody tell where I can get the cable shown on the attached picture? Because of shipping costs an european source would be best. Or is it available on ebay?
George
Nov 15, 2012, 05:11 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Tom,
i tried recording with external power (USB). No problems at all. I removed the camera's battery and checked the two pins at the board. With USB powered, i measured 0v. There must be power on that two pins, or not? Thus i think it's the ic as mtz said.
You might be right, but I'm not convinced your voltage measurement with no battery connected is conclusive evidence.

If you read the data sheet mtz linked, the charging IC has a low voltage lockout. It will not try to charge a battery with low voltage on it (this is typical of most all external dedicated lipo chargers). So with no battery connected and no battery voltage detected on those pins, I don't think the charging IC will turn on. This is outside my knowledge area, so I'm just paraphrasing what I think I've read in the data sheet. In situations like this, I reserve the right to be wrong!

If you can check voltage on those pins with a battery connected and then immediately afterwards with the camera plugged in to a USB power source, it might give better indication of what's going on with the charging circuit. The battery alone should have at least 3V on it (but less than 4.2V) for this test.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 15, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Nov 15, 2012, 05:55 PM
@fastguy That appears to just be a USB to miniUSB cable, I'm sure you could find one that short by just searching for "miniUSB cable"
Nov 15, 2012, 06:05 PM
Maiden Flight of my new Easystar II with 808 16# v.2 d lens camera.

Estreno EasyStar II Fpv Nosepo (3 min 43 sec)

Quick Reply