Thread Tools
Nov 06, 2012, 05:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter
I plan to use #16 for FPV.

I would like to avoid using this bulky USB connector at all and solder directly to usb pinout on camera PCB for AV out + BEC 5V IN

I've seen pinout's in this thread, but can't find this at the moment ;(
Use thread search function to find stuff like this. I know Video is on the normally unused pin 4(aka pin X). I think +5V is pin 1 and ground is pin 5, but double check that.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2012, 05:11 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker
I use the one in the picture on my fpv wing,the #16 is also powered directly from the sbec.
Interference free and from a usa seller (currently out of stock) http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=337



Not to detract from the seller you posted, but Hobby King sells the same Sbec (Turnigy is their house brand) for $4.90
Nov 06, 2012, 06:46 PM

5V voltage regulator or SBEC


My question: If I power the 7805 at 12v will it generate a lot of heat if I'm only using it as 5v power into the camera; which I assume has a very low draw?

I thank you all for contributing knowledge. I intend to use my #16 for FPV and had read a lot about BECs putting out more than 5.25V and damaging the camera. This I don't want to do.

My approach: My camera just arrived and is charging as I type. After I get the cam charged, I'll format a card and play with it in the delivered configuration. I will then upgrade the FW to 49 and play with it some more. Then I'll get into the GUI and set it up for FPV and use the internal battery initially to power with my FPV rig on the ground. When I'm comfortable, I'll then look at my ESC's BEC voltage, my separate BEC voltage or consider an elegant 7805 solution.

BTW, thanx for a great thread. Very appreciated.
Nov 06, 2012, 07:54 PM
Fidler & twidler
empeabee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach
My question: If I power the 7805 at 12v will it generate a lot of heat if I'm only using it as 5v power into the camera; which I assume has a very low draw?
about 250 mA when charged, so you'll need a heat sink on it.
7805 is a super device, 1 amp and rock solid (with the small caps fitted for stability) - it has powered most of the electronics revolution since th 70's.
The SBEC is a modern equiv, much lower consumption.
Another choice is the AnyVolt which gives 1 amp at 5v from 3..18v input, cheap easy to fit etc
Quote:

I thank you all for contributing knowledge. I intend to use my #16 for FPV and had read a lot about BECs putting out more than 5.25V and damaging the camera. This I don't want to do.

My approach: My camera just arrived and is charging as I type. After I get the cam charged, I'll format a card and play with it in the delivered configuration. I will then upgrade the FW to 49 and play with it some more. Then I'll get into the GUI and set it up for FPV and use the internal battery initially to power with my FPV rig on the ground. When I'm comfortable, I'll then look at my ESC's BEC voltage, my separate BEC voltage or consider an elegant 7805 solution.

BTW, thanx for a great thread. Very appreciated.
Throw a simple problem at 3 experts and you will get 6 unique solutions .....
Mike
Nov 06, 2012, 08:46 PM
Throw a simple problem at 3 experts and you will get 6 unique solutions .....
Mike

But a wealth of knowledge too.
Nov 07, 2012, 12:42 AM
OK now, charged the battery, formated the disc, took video and pics. Activated the GUI and updated the FW from 0.36 to 0.49. Used GUI to turn video out on and sound off. Turned auto shutoff off. Made a couple other minor changes. Works great. So far very happy with image and handling. Next test will be live video out to my TV and then the goggles.

Thank you all for the support. I'm sure I'll need more.
Nov 07, 2012, 02:33 AM
Registered User
But be careful with BECs, especially cheap ones. Here are some pics from a little test session I did yesterday:
First pictures show pretty constant voltages for the BECs without load.
A (cheap) UBEC turned out to be the most unstable of all.
Using a servo-tester (which drives the attached five servos continuously from side to side) and measuring the output voltage and (peak-) currents, it showed the instability of the UBEC varying from 5.23V up to 5.5V...
And a voltage of 5.2V and higher harms your 808, as Frank stated before...
Nov 07, 2012, 03:22 AM
Registered User
Rubis's Avatar
Hellos to

everyone by following this link to Omnivision it is possible to see the technological evolution of cmos. question : sensors what is evolution to our 808 #16 V2?

http://www.ovt.com/

Good flights and forgiveness for my spoken English and long live the 808 #16 V 1, 2

Rubis
Nov 07, 2012, 03:42 AM
Fidler & twidler
empeabee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemarc
But be careful with BECs, especially cheap ones. Here are some pics from a little test session I did yesterday:
First pictures show pretty constant voltages for the BECs without load.
A (cheap) UBEC turned out to be the most unstable of all.
Using a servo-tester (which drives the attached five servos continuously from side to side) and measuring the output voltage and (peak-) currents, it showed the instability of the UBEC varying from 5.23V up to 5.5V...
And a voltage of 5.2V and higher harms your 808, as Frank stated before...
I n t e r e s t i n g - - Thanks,
Will take your lesson to heart, don't believe the label, use and believe your Meter....
Mike
Nov 07, 2012, 06:15 AM
Registered User
VideoKing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach
My question: If I power the 7805 at 12v will it generate a lot of heat if I'm only using it as 5v power into the camera; which I assume has a very low draw?

I thank you all for contributing knowledge. I intend to use my #16 for FPV and had read a lot about BECs putting out more than 5.25V and damaging the camera. This I don't want to do.

My approach: My camera just arrived and is charging as I type. After I get the cam charged, I'll format a card and play with it in the delivered configuration. I will then upgrade the FW to 49 and play with it some more. Then I'll get into the GUI and set it up for FPV and use the internal battery initially to power with my FPV rig on the ground. When I'm comfortable, I'll then look at my ESC's BEC voltage, my separate BEC voltage or consider an elegant 7805 solution.

BTW, thanx for a great thread. Very appreciated.
If you are going to build a custom supply for the camera, try looking at the switch mode type regulators.
They are very high efficiency and create far less heat than the 7805 linear type regulator.

Data here.
Typical application here

I use these built into a heat shrink leads for powering 808's from the main flight battery, (up to 30Volts) and they work just fine and get nowhere near as warm as 7805's. (if fact they don't seem to get warm at all).They are complete and don't need any additional components as all the filtering is in the module.
Nov 07, 2012, 06:24 AM
Just thumbing through...
victapilot's Avatar
I'm surprised that 5.5v at the usb will harm the camera. Are we sure of that?
Nov 07, 2012, 06:27 AM
ptg
ptg
#1

Video out : Black&white only


Hi,

I have two #16 v.2 cameras.
Video out is Black&white only.
And Yes, monitor is COLOR

On "Search this thread" is nothing about this.

Or I missed something ?

Tnx
Nov 07, 2012, 06:39 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptg
Hi,

I have two #16 v.2 cameras.
Video out is Black&white only.
And Yes, monitor is COLOR

On "Search this thread" is nothing about this.

Or I missed something ?

Tnx
Most probably you have a PAL only monitor. Most of today's monitors can handle both PAL and NTSC, but some can only handle one or the other.

There may be something in the works, so don't give up yet. I hope you don't have an exotic TV system like SECAM.....
Nov 07, 2012, 06:39 AM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubis
Hellos to

everyone by following this link to Omnivision it is possible to see the technological evolution of cmos. question : sensors what is evolution to our 808 #16 V2?

http://www.ovt.com/

Good flights and forgiveness for my spoken English and long live the 808 #16 V 1, 2

Rubis
It's the OV9712
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 07, 2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Correct CMOS model from 9710 to 9712 (same specs)
Nov 07, 2012, 06:43 AM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot
I'm surprised that 5.5v at the usb will harm the camera. Are we sure of that?
No we are not sure. My only comments were that the USB standard calls for 5V +- 5%. In fact, I have powered mine with an external 4 AAA alkaline cell battery pack at voltage above that range continuously long enough to fill my memory cards during testing, and the cameras still function. Did it stress the components? Maybe, but it didn't kill them instantly. I've since added a diode to relieve any undue stress (if there is any) just to be kind to my cameras.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 07, 2012 at 06:49 AM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Looking to buy #11 HD Key Cam within US Abolfazl Aerial Photography 4 Mar 20, 2016 12:14 AM
Discussion The REAL (#11) HD Key Cam Thread (PLEASE! READ POSTS #1-#3 BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS!) Tom Frank Aerial Photography 9936 Feb 11, 2014 09:56 AM
Poll Poll For Current and Future #11 HD Key Cam Users Tom Frank Aerial Photography 0 Sep 25, 2011 11:55 PM
Discussion New HD Key Cam CHAMP? 1080x720p 3 HOUR RECORD TIME! Jaybee Aerial Photography 4 Jun 02, 2011 11:39 AM