Mar 06, 2013, 06:45 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot
Thanks for your work on that important piece of history.

It seems only 30ft or so tall, so I would try a cam on a collapsing aluminium pole. A lot safer. Someone called quads a whirling bunch of ginsu knives!! If you clipped the monument and deflected into bystanders, it could be Hirohitos revenge..

Thank you Sir. I had been the maintenance sculptor on the Iwo Jima monument for 25 years. I am a former Marine and this may have been my most significant contribution to the Marine Corps and my country. I was honored to be the restoration contractor.

I can visualize what you're saying about quad copter being a bunch of Ginsu knives. Even though this thing wouldn't hurt the monument, if it did crashing into the monument the old jar heads watching this would have my jar head.

I'm gonna have to study my new 808 # 16 keychain cam to see if I can set it up to take a still shot like every 30 seconds or something. I think I heard that each frame can be captured as a still shot somehow but my experience has been single frames at least off of high 8 tape are very poor quality.

One of the problems that maybe this hat cam can solve is the fact that while my hands are working on it, sticky chemicals and nasty stuff (got acetone, epoxy, powdered bronze, sealer etc. All a plastic crate in the bucket with me) I can't keep stopping, washing my hands in acetone then start taking pictures. This camera may solve that.

Thanks again,

DJ
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2013, 07:00 PM
Ascended Master
Using the GUI setup... time lapse is nicely variable, and useful.
Mar 06, 2013, 07:29 PM
Hello everyone. I had a question regarding the new (as of Jan 27, 2013) case that the 808 #16 is coming with. If I buy the regular 808 #16 with the standard A lens, will the new case with the flat bottom come with a hole much bigger than needed for that lens? I was looking at the pictures on the top of this thread and it looks strange. The smaller hole for the A-lens looks perfect. Putting a D-lens hole for an A-lens looks more obvious as a surveillance tool. The post in the beginning of this thread wasn't clear if the new case came with different sized holes depending on what lens you ordered. Thank you!
Mar 06, 2013, 07:43 PM
Team Drone Art
Is the #16 shipping with new cases yet from eletoponline365? I have been holding off on the purchase of another because I didn't know if he's shipping with the new one already.
Mar 06, 2013, 07:53 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
Using the GUI setup... time lapse is nicely variable, and useful.

Thank you for that Paul. So if I pick one of those settings the camera will take a picture all by itself every half second or whatever I chose? How cool is that.

DJ
Mar 06, 2013, 08:18 PM
Ascended Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon
Is the #16 shipping with new cases yet from eletoponline365? I have been holding off on the purchase of another because I didn't know if he's shipping with the new one already.
I ordered one of each, A, B, and D. The B and D came with the flat bottom case.
Mar 06, 2013, 08:20 PM
Ascended Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor

Thank you for that Paul. So if I pick one of those settings the camera will take a picture all by itself every half second or whatever I chose? How cool is that.

DJ
The images are 1280 x 960 in the photo mode, just a bit larger than the 1280 x 720 video images.
It's easier to edit the photos also.
Mar 06, 2013, 08:51 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
The images are 1280 x 960 in the photo mode, just a bit larger than the 1280 x 720 video images.
It's easier to edit the photos also.

Thank you Paul still having a hard time getting over that this little thing that looks like something that open my trunk does all the things it does and it does them well.

Thank you again Sir,

DJ
Mar 06, 2013, 09:07 PM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor

Thank you Paul still having a hard time getting over that this little thing that looks like something that open my trunk does all the things it does and it does them well.

Thank you again Sir,

DJ
There is one problem with using the laps time mode from a quad copter, that is vibration or wobble - Murphy's Law states that some. if not all the single shots will be messed up by mother nature .
As you get aprox 30 mins out of a single charge, running video, and then using a video editor to clip out the best shots out of the 30 shots per second is very easy, though a bit time consuming, but you probably will not have to trek back to do it again . The choice is yours.
Mike
Mar 06, 2013, 09:17 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo88
Hello everyone. I had a question regarding the new (as of Jan 27, 2013) case that the 808 #16 is coming with. If I buy the regular 808 #16 with the standard A lens, will the new case with the flat bottom come with a hole much bigger than needed for that lens? I was looking at the pictures on the top of this thread and it looks strange. The smaller hole for the A-lens looks perfect. Putting a D-lens hole for an A-lens looks more obvious as a surveillance tool. The post in the beginning of this thread wasn't clear if the new case came with different sized holes depending on what lens you ordered. Thank you!
I think you better read that post again. It clearly says that cases for the various lenses will have a lens opening suitable for the lens, and in the picture, it clearly says the photo shows an "A" lens in a case for the "D" lens (that's all I had at the time), and that the proper case for the "A" lens would should have a lens hole similar to the old case.

I don't know what is being shipped at this time, but emailing the vendor will clear that up for you.
Mar 06, 2013, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Bought one that arrived last week. (D lens V2) the case was a flat bottom updated one.
Mar 06, 2013, 11:05 PM
Quote:
My D version came with the flat bottom.
Gary
Mar 06, 2013, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
I think you better read that post again. It clearly says that cases for the various lenses will have a lens opening suitable for the lens, and in the picture, it clearly says the photo shows an "A" lens in a case for the "D" lens (that's all I had at the time), and that the proper case for the "A" lens would should have a lens hole similar to the old case.

I don't know what is being shipped at this time, but emailing the vendor will clear that up for you.
I emailed the vendor eletoponline but haven't received a response. I think it was just the wording in the 2nd picture that got me. "The hole for the proper case" instead of "the hole for the proper lens". I just wasn't totally sure. Also I saw other pictures of the new case and all the flat ones had the D-lens hole. I started to wonder if the flat-bottomed case came with the A-lens hole at all. But I'm glad to read that it does! Thx for the response and help
Mar 07, 2013, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop
I seem to remember this new connector was once mentioned before quite some time ago but hasn't been properly documented. It's too bad you broke off the two lugs and I know how fragile these things are. There are other designs that may also be used so I guess it boils down to a question of what was available at the time of production. It's best to be patient and ask here if there is the least bit of uncertainty.
Thanks Iso. I'm sure the module is secure enough. Though I'm not totally happy with the module. It's hard to do a good test here at the moment as we have foggy/misty rainy conditions, but my first test doesn't look anywhere near as good as Tom's test, or others I've seen. Plus the front element coating looks quite odd. Anybody else seen this problem?

Eletoponline suggest sending a video clip and/or sending it back which is hardly financially viable?

PS The green LED you can see in the case is the top of an LED cut off and glued in as a magnifier/light tube (I've done this to all my key cams.) It makes the small LED amazingly well visible. (I know this is documented is the tips and hacks.)
PPS Good to see this thread going again Tom!
Last edited by bobflyman; Mar 07, 2013 at 06:46 AM.
Mar 07, 2013, 08:21 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman
Thanks Iso. I'm sure the module is secure enough. Though I'm not totally happy with the module. It's hard to do a good test here at the moment as we have foggy/misty rainy conditions, but my first test doesn't look anywhere near as good as Tom's test, or others I've seen. Plus the front element coating looks quite odd. Anybody else seen this problem?
Have you tried cleaning the lens with lens cleaning solution (or plain alcohol)? It looks like there is some residue on the front surface, maybe just finger smudge from when they assembled it. Another possibility might be vapor condensation behind the front element if the humidity is as high as it sounds.

Quick Reply