Jan 22, 2013, 01:20 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius
I'm no expert with Virtualdub or video edition. I've used Xvid, as I could use any other encoder. I don't know the advantages and dissadvantages of them. In my videos I always cut some parts off. Can you do this, or apply any filter like Deshak and still save the video with Direct Stream Copy without recompiling it?
...I'd like to test it in other OSs different from XP first.
You can only do a direct stream copy if you don't use any filters. Trimming does not use filters, so if all you are doing is trimming, then you could use direct stream copy.

Here's a link to the x.264 codec if you want to try it. It will give the best quality with smallest file size. Just make sure to set the output Rate Control to Single pass - bitrate-based (ABR) with about the same average bit rate as your original from the camera to maintain a similar quality of compression. I set mine for 7000 kbps. This setting is accessible from the Configuration Button in Vdub when you select the codec.

By other OS, I guess you mean other Windows OS since the underlying programs would be Windows based. I'm sure others running later versions of Windows would want to give it a test run. They can send you a PM if they are interested. If it works well, you could then put it in a zip file and attach it to a post here for others if you want.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2013, 02:36 PM
I'm kinda afraid of the answer...
But I managed to get a spot of ca glue on the lens don't know how...
Is there any way to clean it?
Jan 22, 2013, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow
http://youtu.be/EFxQttpYhTA

2 questions...
1) do u guys think I can focus the far elements of the picture more?
Judging by the image of the grass right in front of the camera, I think it's set to near focus as it is because when I re-adjust the focus for far objects grass so close in front doesn't look this sharp. I think this is as good as it gets in terms of good focus for far objects but not sacrificing too much for close objects. You really need to try it yourself. Video out may not provide enough resolution to monitor for focus adjustment. Use webcam mode instead.
My Blade 130X Flight #1184-1189 From Sunny To Foggy [Day Compilation] (9 min 4 sec)

Quote:
2) I am getting some vibrations on the camera... I suspect this is because the camera itself is uncased and the camera is not attached to the board except by the ribbon to support it I have wrapped the board and the camera with insulation tape, it holds the camera in place but its not rigid.. Any tips On How to make it more rigid?
I also have mine de-cased. I first tried hot-gluing the sensor module to the PCB but result was not as good as putting a drop of CA between module and battery plug on the PCB. Super stable even with a 130-size micro heli.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=415
My Blade 130X Flight #1183 with Stock Motor Tail View on Sunset (5 min 53 sec)
Jan 22, 2013, 02:42 PM
Sigh I tried the drop of ca.. But it doesn't really want to stick for too long.. And now I think I got some on the lens.. Probably residue from a fingertip
Jan 22, 2013, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Sigh I tried the drop of ca.. But it doesn't really want to stick for too long.. And now I think I got some on the lens.. Probably residue from a fingertip
Time to order a new lens . There's no way you can remove the glue without scratching the lens and making things even worse.

Hot glue works very well but you need a really thin nozzle, i.e. the more expensive glue guns. I don't suppose you have a hot-air soldering station, but if you do, these do a really fantastic job of melting a blob of glue into place or melting the glue so you can reposition things. Again, you'll need the finest nozzle for best results and a fairly low working temperature.
Jan 22, 2013, 03:14 PM
Sigh I was afraid of that... It's ca.. On the lens itself... What about heating it with a soldering iron?
Jan 22, 2013, 03:48 PM
Trees are bad
Quote:
Sigh I was afraid of that... It's ca.. On the lens itself... What about heating it with a soldering iron?
I would try debonder. I don't know if it would hurt the lens or not though.
Jan 22, 2013, 03:50 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Getting a new lens is most likely your best option.

Having said that...you've got nothing to lose by trying to remove the ca glue from the lens,just understand your current lens is for experimentation and end results may be unsatisfactory.

I've used a small screwdriver to stick into a ca glue bottle so the glue would come out better .
The screwdriver would get covered in ca glue,made a mess on the screw driver.
Would try to hurry and wipe off the glue from the screwdriver right away but that just made things worse,the paper towel would become stuck on the screwdriver and glue would get on my fingers,eventually the paper towel also became glued to my fingers.

One time i was in a rush and forgot to wipe the ca glue from the screwdriver and the ca dried on the screwdriver (metal shaft).
Thought about how can i remove this glue..hmm,some heat.
Used a lighter and passed the screwdriver shaft through the flame and the glue caught fire.
The glue began to burn from the tip of the screwdriver shaft towards the handle at a quick speed,the flame was small and blue.
As soon as the flame went out i wiped the screwdriver shaft with a double up paper towel.
The screwdriver shaft was clean with no visible glue.
I now use a lighter to burn of ca glue from metal objects rather than wipe away the wet glue,for me it works well.

So what's that got to do with your # 16 lens D?
Well,was thinking if the lens is glass you might be able to use a lighter and put the flame to the glass,heat up that ca glue and wipe it off.
Now you may have to hold the lens in an odd way to be sure the flame only touches the glass lens and not the plastic housing,it will melt if you do.
I'm not sure but would guess there is some kind of coating on the outside surface of the lens to begin with and heating with an open flame may infact damage the lens alone never mind the ca glue that's already there.

It's an idea,may not be the best,might work or might create more of a mess than you have with the ca glue,be safe with a lighter and good luck.
Jan 22, 2013, 04:00 PM
Mm managed to fix the lens using a sharp knife, deft hand and blind courage lol ca glue is off.. It was quite brittle..
Jan 22, 2013, 04:00 PM
Almost forgot..

Used ca glue to glue tires to the wheels on rc trucks.
To remove the tires from the wheels there were two ways.
Bake the tires/wheel in the oven on a cookie sheet or boil the tires/wheel.

For me they went on a cookie sheet in the oven,the heat would break down the glue bond and with some work gloves you could handle the hot tires and remove them from the wheels.

Boiling also worked iirc ca glue breaks down at 212*f (may be mistaking on the exact temp it's been a long time).
The problem with boiling is the shiny chrome wheels would become hazy from the glue residue in the water.

That's all i got to say about ca.
Jan 22, 2013, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Mm managed to fix the lens using a sharp knife, deft hand and blind courage lol ca glue is off.. It was quite brittle..
That's good to hear!
Now take some video and check it.
Jan 22, 2013, 04:20 PM
I did .. Can't see any artifacts... seems clean enough... Now to do some outdoor tests in good lighting
Jan 22, 2013, 04:28 PM
Finally got to fly the No 16 I got at Christmas.
It was very cold at 0 degrees C.
I know there is usually problems with short video runs due to the lipo not liking cold temps.
I put the camera in with my flight packs to keep it warm. I did 2 video runs of around 3 minutes each and they were both O.K.

I keep my batteries warm by......

Using an insulated lunch bag, I added a bit of polystyrene for extra insulation.
I put a small plastic bag of rice grains (uncooked ! ) in with the battery packs.
The bag of rice grains goes into the microwave oven for around 30 seconds, you want it nice and warm but not hot. When it's warm pop it into the lunch bag and go fly.

The lipos should stay warm in the bag for 2 to 3 hours. It's cheap, easy and portable. I usually fly well away from where I parked up. My little bag of rice grains is 2 to 3 year old now and has the original rice grains still in use.... I do like cheap !!!

The No 16 was taken out of the warm bag today. It went on my quad and did 2 flights without the battery dropping power. It was left on my quad during flight pack changing.

I am very pleased with the video from the camera and am looking forward to a long, hot summer (possibly - hopefully - unlikely !)
Jan 22, 2013, 04:59 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Any ideas how to make the #808 a web cam. Would like to use for focusing the camera. I had it working once but since then no luck Win7 or XP.?.
Jan 22, 2013, 05:50 PM
Fidler & twidler
henkdrnk R T M
Mike

Quick Reply