Dec 12, 2012, 07:06 PM
Noob
I just ordered the camera with lens D a few days ago from one of the overseas sellers listed in the first post, but I didn't even know about this thread; I saw the seller's name in another thread here on RCG, found his eBAY store, and bought the camera.

His eBay listing doesn't say lens D is a fish-eye lens; just that it offers 120-degree wide-angle view. After the purchase, the seller emailed me the owner's manual and pointed me to this thread just for reference. So that's how I just found the comparison pics of the 3 lenses showing the fish-eye view of lens D. That probably won't work well for my aerial photography plan with this camera. Had I known, I would've gone with lens B and attached a wide-angle adapter to it afterwards if I felt the need.

I have written to the seller to inquire about my options but I don't know how that will pan out since he is overseas. Thanks for this great thread, Tom. It is very helpful.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2012, 07:16 PM
Mtz
Mtz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Any interest persons should use PM for replies to this inquiry... please?!
Of course the #16 developer can make this angled cable and I don't understand the reason why he don't want this. I think nobody will refuse an angled cable for this camera.
Dec 12, 2012, 07:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiZ View Post
I just ordered the camera with lens D a few days ago from one of the overseas sellers listed in the first post, but I didn't even know about this thread; I saw the seller's name in another thread here on RCG, found his eBAY store, and bought the camera.

His eBay listing doesn't say lens D is a fish-eye lens; just that it offers 120-degree wide-angle view. After the purchase, the seller emailed me the owner's manual and pointed me to this thread just for reference. So that's how I just found the comparison pics of the 3 lenses showing the fish-eye view of lens D. That probably won't work well for my aerial photography plan with this camera. Had I known, I would've gone with lens B and attached a wide-angle adapter to it afterwards if I felt the need.

I have written to the seller to inquire about my options but I don't know how that will pan out since he is overseas. Thanks for this great thread, Tom. It is very helpful.
Too bad! But 120 deg. AOV and "fisheye" distortions go hand-in-hand with these inexpensive lenses, and many better lenses as well! I don't think you will like the lens B with add-on lens any better because it has the same characteristics of distortion, but also the vignetting of the B lens and the add-on lens, not to mention a lot of extra weight and hassle trying to get it mounted securely and perfectly aligned and centered so it doesn't crop off corners of the frame or have edges out of focus because of misalignment.

FWIW, new lenses are being evaluated for the #16, and if the quality is there, you may have other better alternatives in the not too distant future (no promises!).
Dec 12, 2012, 08:52 PM
Ascended Master
The B lens is pretty much curvature free. Any add-on lenses I've tried add barrel distortion. It's not all that evident flying level, but any banking and the horizon curves and the ground bulges.
Couple images of a lattice on a house.. with a Canon A2300 and and 808 #16, B lens... I see no objectionable field curvature with the B lens. It should be fine for nice straight lines in an AP.
Last edited by Sparky Paul; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Dec 12, 2012, 09:10 PM
We Begin bombing in 5 Minutes
For FPV is it pretty much settled that you need a D lens?
Latest blog entry: Freewing V2 Me 262 revival
Dec 13, 2012, 04:48 AM
Hey guys dose anyone ave the stock firmware for the 16v2? I updated to try out the motion detection and didn't back up my stock firm. I may be wrong but I think it was 36 or maybe 35.

Also I am having an issue, my battery only lasts about 12 to 13 min and its brand new!! Yes its after a full charge also. Thats at 1280 x 720. I'm going to lower the quality a bit to see if that helps but I really like the HD. I hope its just a weak battery. While I'm at it dose anyone know much about the #9 firmware wise.
Last edited by Modzit; Dec 13, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Dec 13, 2012, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsgsg View Post
Anyone care to share an unedited video for download?
Do you mean unedited or unprocessed.
i.e raw from the camera ?
Dec 13, 2012, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modzit View Post
Hey guys dose anyone ave the stock firmware for the 16v2? I updated to try out the motion detection and didn't back up my stock firm. I may be wrong but I think it was 36 or maybe 35 EMAIL REMOVED.

Also I am having an issue, my battery only lasts about 12 to 13 min and its brand new!! Yes its after a full charge also. Thats at 1280 x 720. I'm going to lower the quality a bit to see if that helps but I really like the HD. I hope its just a weak battery. While I'm at it dose anyone know much about the #9 firmware wise.
For the #16 there was:-
V0.15
V0.16
V0.18
V0.23
V0.25
V0.27
V0.35
V0.36 Beta
V0.49
V0.58 Beta

From the V2 onward, it started at V0.35 Which one do you want ?
Last edited by VideoKing; Dec 13, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
Dec 13, 2012, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modzit View Post
Hey guys dose anyone ave the stock firmware for the 16v2? I updated to try out the motion detection and didn't back up my stock firm. I may be wrong but I think it was 36 or maybe 35 (please send it to smkmods@yahoo.com).

I found some cams with a working time 15% less than the normal.
Tom, can you tell me if a specific post exists about this?
Thanks
Dec 13, 2012, 07:54 AM
I am sorry beacause offtopic, but TomFrank, have you seen this http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-720P-Mini...item2c66e81dcd
?

There is also a thread about it https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1787177 .
Is this something real?

It is HD 808 #20
Dec 13, 2012, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
Of course the #16 developer can make this angled cable and I don't understand the reason why he don't want this. I think nobody will refuse an angled cable for this camera.
Most people into RC have basic soldering skills. It's pretty easy to make your own angled cables. I have linked an eBay source for the plugs a number of times already. Making your own cables has the advantage of making the cable exactly the length you want and only using the wires that you need. You can also use lighter cables if weight is a problem. I have made many of these angled cables in the past. For example, I have made cables for external power only (2-wire), video-out only (2 wires) or a combination of the two (4 wires or 3 wires).
I use a 5-pin female socket for easier cable testing, to ensure no wires are reversed

Here are the right-angled plugs without the casing - the plugs themselves are "straight" - and the finished cable.

And here's a pickie of a video-out + power "test" cable I had at hand, sorry, not right-angled.

BTW, yesterday I added a note about the connections in the "power posting" linked a few posts back. I always try and keep my indexed posts up to date, but as Tom has noted, it becomes difficult given all the modifications this camera has undergone. Luckily most modifications are firmware-related.

When you look at an "old" post, always look at the date the post was last edited. More likely than not the important posts will be up to date, unless there have not been any changes. I am constantly updating the "power post" and the "GUI post" but I don't waste bandwidth by announcing the changes unless something very important has been changed.
Dec 13, 2012, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevohaker View Post
I am sorry beacause offtopic, but TomFrank, have you seen this http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-720P-Mini...item2c66e81dcd
?

There is also a thread about it https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1787177 .
Is this something real?

It is HD 808 #20
Yes, it's off-topic , and I replied to a question about this camera in another thread a few days ago - can't remember if it was the #11 or #18 thread. There is more information about it on Chuck Lohr's site. The last time I looked it had some stability problems, but they may be fixed by now. The LED's tell you which function is running. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or a bad idea, but it could be confusing if you don't have a manual at hand! It looks as though a lot of people are copying the #16! It even has a setup-file, but no GUI yet.
Dec 13, 2012, 08:48 AM
I've seen Tom external emergency battery mod.
One thing though.
The red LED is mounted in series with the AAA cells.The normal red LED max current is 30mA and is working on 20mA. So in fact the charging /supply current cannot go more than 20-30mA.For camera to work you need at least 120mA.
Maybe I'm missing something.It is not clear the LED is mounted in series or in parallel with the power source?
Last edited by midelic; Dec 13, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Dec 13, 2012, 10:47 AM
Hello guys!
I have some issues with my ver1(no av out) #16 cam. It makes a beeping noise all the time while I record videos with it.

To me it seems to beep exactly every second. And every time it beeps, the video also flickers. I uploaded a short clip showing it to YT. If you listen and watch closely you will notice it. The question is, is this a common problem or is it only mine? Is there a way to fix it?
keychain cam #16 noise (0 min 14 sec)

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've tested many different firmwares and I am currently using the latest 0.58 beta and the problem is still there. Otherwise, the camera works just fine.

EDIT2: I am currently recording a time leapse and I noticed I can hear the noise from the camera itself. Every second it makes that noise. Anyone have a clue on what's causing it? And is there a way to fix it?
Last edited by Tony32; Dec 14, 2012 at 04:25 AM.
Dec 13, 2012, 12:26 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by free.sky View Post
I found some cams with a working time 15% less than the normal.
Tom, can you tell me if a specific post exists about this?
Thanks
There are posts about this, but I'd have to search the forum using the "search" link in the header bar to find them. But you can do that, too!

Put several full discharge/charge cycles on the battery... it should improve with use.

Quick Reply