Oct 15, 2012, 01:39 PM
what are the practical differences between 7Mbps video data rate and 10Mbps video data rate? I'm guessing 10 is higher quality/bigger file size, and 7 is lower qual/smaller file size?

I'm using a Kingston Class 4 SDHC 32GB card now.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2012, 01:51 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeeetm View Post
what are the practical differences between 7Mbps video data rate and 10Mbps video data rate? I'm guessing 10 is higher quality/bigger file size, and 7 is lower qual/smaller file size?

I'm using a Kingston Class 4 SDHC 32GB card now.
Good guess, in theory. It doesn't necessarily produce these results, however. See post #3 FAQ on the data rates for the long explanation.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 15, 2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Oct 15, 2012, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Good guess, in theory. It does necessarily produce these results, however. See post #3 FAQ on the data rates for the long explanation.
does setting sound volume to zero remove the audio track and thereby improve file size?
Oct 15, 2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Here's another similar possibility for something that can be adapted to protect the D lens (pic attached). This is just a "standard" (here in the U.S.) rubber grommet for holes in sheet metal to keep wire that passes through from being cut by the metal edges. I bought it at the local hardware store (ACE hardware, a large nationwide chain here)

The size PERFECTLY fit my D lens O.D. It slips on with just a tiny bit of friction... not enough to put stress on the lens, but enough to hold it in place. Also when it's seated against the camera case, it provides some lateral support for the lens barrel, which on mine was just loose in the case. I put a couple dabs of silicone adhesive between the CMOS module and case on the inside as well to keep the lens centered on the case hole, and will probably do the same on the outside between the grommet and case (silicone adhesive can easily be sliced with a hobby knife if needed for access).

Also, the thickness of the grommet extends just slightly in front of the front lens element, which proturdes slightly in front of the lens ring, making it possible to scratch the lens easily. I still need to add something to cover the lens front now, and will come up with something that slips easily in the groove in the grommet, so I'll leave the grommet in place all the time, and just slide the cover on/off when I'm shooting.
Will go to my local hardware store tomorrow and see if they have something similar

Thanks for the info
Just ordered my second 808 #16 v2 Lens D
Oct 15, 2012, 02:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeeetm View Post
does setting sound volume to zero remove the audio track and thereby improve file size?
Not really, you still get an audio track, just no volume. Realistically, the audio track is a fairly small percentage of the recorded file anyway (usually in the 4%-7% range). So for the nominal data rate of this camera's recordings (52MB/min.), about 2.8 MB/min. is the sound track.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 15, 2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling and clarification
Oct 15, 2012, 03:52 PM
Just thumbing through...
A few more D lens tests, happy with the color (Fluorescent, Saturation+1, Contrast -1). Not so happy with ghosting in corners when objects just outside the frame. I'll probably crop it in edit.
Oct 15, 2012, 04:32 PM
Mtz
Mtz
Lens D cap from headphones covers.
Oct 15, 2012, 04:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
Lens D cap from headphones covers.
I like it! Are those covers available somewhere WITHOUT the headphones?
Oct 15, 2012, 04:42 PM
Mtz
Mtz
I am sure a search on ebay with "headphone covers" will bring a lot of offers.
But first is better to search in the house maybe you have somewhere a pair unused. So you can see how it fit.

Before you buy you must choose the Earphone Ear Pad Foam Cover with the smallest hole.
Last edited by Mtz; Oct 15, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Oct 15, 2012, 04:45 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
A few more D lens tests, happy with the color (Fluorescent, Saturation+1, Contrast -1). Not so happy with ghosting in corners when objects just outside the frame. I'll probably crop it in edit.
That tree ghost image is strange. Is it possible the tree was casting a shadow on the camera lens causing the ghosting? I could not tell the sun angle from the picture. I can't imagine what else might cause it.
Oct 15, 2012, 05:28 PM
Suspended Account
MTZ beats me to it, credits to you MTZ.

Lens D protector, fourth post of today, about what I said I was going to get out, and see what we all can dig up, Mtz was on the money, and I clearly said, video soon to come. Here in my video. Crash74, thank you for seeing the enjoyable side in me? and I thank you.

Video has my response and clearification to the lens protector. Use not adhesives that are liquid base, use rubber cement or an Elmers stick, for the micro cloth mentioned for protection of lens.

Keycam 808 lens D Protecter review (6 min 22 sec)

I will top this video trust me.

Ear buds available online ebay sellers of hong kong click me

Something we have called elestic or plastic electrical tape. makes a great temprary lens cap, till one is found.
Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 15, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Oct 15, 2012, 06:16 PM
Mtz
Mtz
Fisy you made me remember my first version of Hat-Cam, until 808:
- the first version was for the vertical camera
- the second version was for the 808.

The main goal is to keep my black cap nice and usable when not using the camera. So for the first version was rotated 90 degrees.

Now I can use my baseball cap as usual when no camera, and the same way when using the 808 camera.
Most people can't see I have a camera there and is best with the A lens.

enjoy,
Mtz
Last edited by Mtz; Oct 15, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Oct 15, 2012, 06:53 PM
Fishy that's the funniest thing I've seen for a long time. Thanks for the joy
Oct 15, 2012, 06:58 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
I may have missed it somewhere but is anyone doing any mods for 5.5v BEC's? All of my ESC's put out 5.5v rather than 5v... Will this be a problem? Im guessing 5.2 is max?
Oct 15, 2012, 07:21 PM
Addict.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
I may have missed it somewhere but is anyone doing any mods for 5.5v BEC's? All of my ESC's put out 5.5v rather than 5v... Will this be a problem? Im guessing 5.2 is max?
I don't think it will be a problem but 5v LDO voltage regulators are very easy to find, cheap, and light weight.

http://www.solarbotics.com/product/17130/

Just a quick Google search, can probably find more on digikey or mouser.

Quick Reply