Oct 05, 2012, 01:51 AM
Hi Tom!

Thanks for your answer. I understand what you mean! I am an amateur photographer for many years and I know a little about lenses. But this fall, the situation is slightly different: The way I see it, is the lens on my 808 # 16 D lens is not aligned parallel to the sensor. This means that it is at the top of sharp, it is not at the bottom, and vice versa, it is down sharply, it is not at the top! Independently from the center. I have now set so that it is reasonably sharp throughout. But it does not satisfy me, because I know now that it might be better if it were aligned parallel.

Nevertheless, I find the 808 # 16 is a great piece of technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
The edge focus of just about inexpensive lenses is not as sharp when the center is in best focus. This is because the focal plane of the lens is not perfectly flat, so the edges are actually focusing a tiny bit in front of or behind the CMOS sensor surface. It's typically more pronounced as the AOV of the lens gets wider.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2012, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
You've got the helm No. 1... I need to go to the canteen for a yard of Romulan ale!
And while you're there can you find out when we are going to get GPS tagging and wireless/4G direct upload capability to Facebook/Google+, etc... also I think having a screen attached might be a good idea cos then we can adjust some of those settings without having to plug a cable in... Oh! Actually, forget that, just need to add an OSD system and then run the feed out to your FPV system, then by a menu controlled by special combinations of pressing the two buttons quickly, slowly, just before, just after each other we can adjust it all in just a couple (of million) button presses...

Is it possible in the V0.42 firmware?

Another round?
Oct 05, 2012, 03:22 AM

Powering Nr16 without internal battery

Following the late discussions on mA and co., and in the hope that this information will be useful, I have done some voltage and current measurements.

This information only applies when there is no internal battery connected.
The camera requires an absolute minimum of 4.18V to operate correctly. This value may vary with the type of card used. I would think 4.3V would be a safer figure.

Using a 5V supply, the current required is at a minimum 220mA. In my tests I limited the current down to 124.3mA. With this current, the camera would turn on but it wouldn't record (see picture). BTW, the camera, and all the other mess, is lying on an antistatic grounded mat - this is a *must* in dry winter months.

It is not possible to power the camera without an internal battery using 4 AA/AAA cells unless they are connected directly. Most commercially available cheap so-called "USB Backup" units which use 4 AA/AAA cells incorporate a primitive reverse-protection diode which reduces the available voltage, under load, to approx. 4.1V (4 x 1.2V - 0.7V voltage drop).

More expensive units may incorporate step-up electronics which ensure an accurate 5V (+/- 5%), but at the cost of power.

It is not a good idea to use 4 AA/AAA cells if you want to power the #16 directly without an internal battery, unless the output is regulated to 5V. Dedicated USB power packs or 5V converters designed to output 5V are the much better choice. Even with an internal battery installed, I cannot recommend using 4 AA/AAA cells as external power. I have stated this many, many times. Of course there are exceptions.

For more information on external power please read this post.

A nice German power supply

Last edited by Isoprop; Oct 05, 2012 at 03:35 AM.
Oct 05, 2012, 03:24 AM

Wide Lense testing with the 16# version 2 red lense.

I just tested the Deal Extreme 0.67x and Fisheye on the 16 v2 red lense.

Fitting the metal ring

Took apart the case, removed the circuit board, ground and sanded down the front face of the case so the metal ring would fit parallel to the lense mount. As in my 'how to fit a wide angle lense video on YouTube YouTube video here. And while the case was empty, I held it together and countersunk the lense hole (to prevent possible reflections)

First test results. The fisheye, is no use at all on the slightly wider angled red lense V2 Like looking through a tube as so much vignetting. First test with the 0.67x big vignetting on one side as I don't appear to have glued the ring in the correct plane. Improvable, but it appears to be as difficult fitting the 0.67 to the v2, as it was fitting the fisheye on the 16 v1 (as far as getting perfect parallel alignment.)

Fitting the Metal Ring in the correct plane for the 0.67x lense

After testing by pushing a pin under one edge of the 0.67 lense I figured which way to go to get the ring in the same plane (i.e. parallel) to the camera lense. I slightly lifted the ring I'd epoxied under the edge and slipped two dress making pins under with about 90 degs between them. (Epoxy was still not totally set hard.)

I then slipped some 5 min epoxy under the lifted edge and with the help of the two dress making pins I'd pushed under the ring, as the epoxy stiffened I adjusted for perfect position by referring to the web cam image on Skype. I lifted each side and pushed till the vignetting was even on each corner of the frame. Fiddly but I've got a reasonably acceptable result with just a little vignetting on each corner.

So, if you have a 16 v2 red lense and are considering a Deal Extreme lense, don't bother with the Fisheye, it won't work well. And with the 0.67, be prepared to do a lot of fiddling to get it in the correct plane.
Test video below.

You might want to put this in the FAQ's Tom. 'Will the red lense v2 work with wide lenses?'

HD Key Chain Cam 16# version 2 (red lense) wide lense test and comparison with 16# v1. (1 min 16 sec)
Last edited by bobflyman; Oct 05, 2012 at 03:33 AM.
Oct 05, 2012, 04:43 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeie
Thank you fishycomics!

In the meantime, I have both, adjusted the lens, as well as open the case. But your video is very well done and certainly helps a lot of people!

But have you also a video where you can see how to open the lens and show how the lens parallel to the sensor aligns? ;-)

Excuse myself.!(Jk)

super glad you enjoyed

to the point was that video, was and still waiting a few to put up or shut up nicely said

edited corerctly due ti IP4S (IOS6)
Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 05, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Oct 05, 2012, 04:46 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot
that I been to DX.com

and I am after the size of the 808 KC lend D if it is XXmm then I can pick a lens out..

But tom just had to show his kid in himself again. with a repeative pic.

So what size is the lens d. as right now I gots that one Lol its not worth the purchase due to no adjustments of ZOOM
Oct 05, 2012, 05:08 AM
Hi I just got this camera v2 and I would like to use the video out function of this cam so I can fly my quad with it , how can I activate the video out function In the camera? It should be in some kind of mode? Thanks
Oct 05, 2012, 05:29 AM
Suspended Account
more like this one but not that big the same size as the elens D itself

I like to know if the Lens D will be identical in size to the Hobbyking wing if so that be my fix for that cam.

used my three wishs.
Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 05, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Oct 05, 2012, 06:01 AM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitamar
Hi I just got this camera v2 and I would like to use the video out function of this cam so I can fly my quad with it , how can I activate the video out function In the camera? It should be in some kind of mode? Thanks
Read the first 4 postings at the begining of this thread, they will give you a good overview of what you can and cannot do.

Then download the GUI program (windows user) or the Assistant (mac/androd).

Both programs have good instructions and a user manual, and make setting the camera up easy.

The old way of thrashing about copying a "prepaired" text file from the camera to a text editor, modifying the file and then copying it back to the camera are a little old fashioned and prone to much error and frustration.

Have fun with your new toy.
Mike
Oct 05, 2012, 07:26 AM
Just thumbing through...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics
more like this one but

I like to know if the Lens D will be identical in size to the Hobbyking wing if so that be my fix for that cam.

used my three wishs.
The HK wing v1 lens fits, it has a 7mm barrel, and vice versa. The D lens is slightly wider angle, has convex lens, the HK lens is slightly concave on the external element.
Oct 05, 2012, 08:17 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot
The HK wing v1 lens fits, it has a 7mm barrel, and vice versa. The D lens is slightly wider angle, has convex lens, the HK lens is slightly concave on the external element.
Great I be looking at 7mm one and wh when Mandy is back in the office I have them send me one again. Then I start )Thanks again oct 8th return for them
Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 05, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Oct 05, 2012, 08:44 AM
Just thumbing through...
BTW, the zoom lens you linked to is a 12x.5mm. There are lots of these, and you can convert a keyfob to 12mm by fitting a 12mm surface mount receptacle over the top of the existing one. Someone on the #11 thread did it. I have the parts somewhere but never got around to it. Need to be careful, most 12mm lenses have no IR filter.
Oct 05, 2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee
Read the first 4 postings at the begining of this thread, they will give you a good overview of what you can and cannot do.

Then download the GUI program (windows user) or the Assistant (mac/androd).

Both programs have good instructions and a user manual, and make setting the camera up easy.

The old way of thrashing about copying a "prepaired" text file from the camera to a text editor, modifying the file and then copying it back to the camera are a little old fashioned and prone to much error and frustration.

Have fun with your new toy.
Mike
Many thanks for the answer now I can see the video on my dominators and my screen but it has the video smaller then the screen on both the dominators and my screen , is it possible to stretch the video or get bigger resolution ? Thanks
Oct 05, 2012, 09:44 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeie
Hi Tom!

Thanks for your answer. I understand what you mean! I am an amateur photographer for many years and I know a little about lenses. But this fall, the situation is slightly different: The way I see it, is the lens on my 808 # 16 D lens is not aligned parallel to the sensor. This means that it is at the top of sharp, it is not at the bottom, and vice versa, it is down sharply, it is not at the top! Independently from the center. I have now set so that it is reasonably sharp throughout. But it does not satisfy me, because I know now that it might be better if it were aligned parallel.

Nevertheless, I find the 808 # 16 is a great piece of technology.
OK, I misunderstood. It's possible to get that condition if the lens is cross threaded. But it's also possible that the CMOS sensor array is not firmly seated in the plastic module. I had an early one with that same problem, and there is no fix other than to replace the module. IF your camera is new, I think you could get the module replaced under warranty. A whole new lens/CMOS module is fairly inexpensive as well... nominally $10 delivered to the U.S., depending on which lens is in it.
Oct 05, 2012, 09:51 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm
And while you're there can you find out when we are going to get GPS tagging and wireless/4G direct upload capability to Facebook/Google+, etc... also I think having a screen attached might be a good idea cos then we can adjust some of those settings without having to plug a cable in... Oh! Actually, forget that, just need to add an OSD system and then run the feed out to your FPV system, then by a menu controlled by special combinations of pressing the two buttons quickly, slowly, just before, just after each other we can adjust it all in just a couple (of million) button presses...

Is it possible in the V0.42 firmware?

Another round?
NO on the upgrades, YES on another flagon, but you're buying!

Quick Reply