Dec 15, 2011, 01:43 PM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Thread OP
Discussion

DJI Wookong-M + Gaui 500X for FPV aerial video owners

Hi everyone,

The reason I'm staring this thread is because both Wooking-M and Gaui 500X threads are too big and generic. This way we can focus on specific informations about the Gaui 500X operating with the Wookong-M.

And since I'm a newbee in Quads and just received my 500X and Wookong-M, I'm looking for some tips and pictures about how to mount the hardware the best way possible (500X structure and motors are ready, just need to instal the WK-M electronics). Also, mine WK-M didn't come with software or printed manual from Flying-Hobby. Is that normal or they forgot it out?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2011, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor73
Also, mine WK-M didn't come with software or printed manual from Flying-Hobby. Is that normal or they forgot it out?
I think it is normal. If you have not got the info already, you will find it on this page. http://www.dji-innovations.com/minisite/index_en.html

I dont have a 500x. I have my WKM on a X650. You do not have to, but I would place the IMU dead center of the multirotor.
Good luck with your install. Its a great bit of kit.
Dec 15, 2011, 03:29 PM
This is what I fly, you will love it!

Some tips:
If you are using the stock Gaui setup (Scorpion/HW), you should set your ESCīs timing to low.

If any / many other motors, set it to medium.

GAUI 500X with WK-M - www.pitchup.se (3 min 4 sec)
!
Dec 15, 2011, 05:33 PM
Great topic for a thread. I have been reading through the other DJI and Gaui threads and they are so big it is virtually impossible to process all the information. It would be great to have an archive of information related to the 500x and WKM in one location.

I'll be starting my 500x build with WKM and Spektrum DX8 right after Christmas (probably moments after unwrapping the boxes).

Any tips for initial setup with the DX8?

Cheers and Happy Holidays!
Rob
Dec 16, 2011, 03:46 PM
Thread OP
Great! Nice feedback!

Hi [email protected],
The 500X doesn't have much space for the eletronics. The X650 was my other direct option on the list too and I guess it must have more room inside. I think I will eventually get the X650 V8 and transfer the WK-M to it after buying a Naza for using with the 500X that I will use for the more dynamic and risky aerial videos. But for now it will have to fit. I've spent the morning trying to figure how and really there isn't enough space inside the canopy to fit the WK-M and receiver, at least not that I have figured out yet. I also thought about place the IMU dead center, but it is almost as tall as the tallest part of the canopy and that is not exactly centered regarding the structure itself. The GPS antenna base I'm thinking about screwing it on the external top payload base (optional accessory #222203) that goes outside and over the canopy. I also got the Gaui FPV plataform (part #222201), but that is not nearly as useful as I first imagined. Seems to be made just for holding a small spy CCD camera under the original canopy hole made for it. Can't really see much use for that other than this.

Regarding the manual and software I found the link, thanks. But was a bit disappointed as I like to read on paper better than at the screen. But that is ok, less trees cut for paper and less CD's going to the trash after first firmware upgrade.

Tom Viper,
Great video dude! How far away from original take off point do you reckon the WK-M landed ? And if you are willing to share a picture of your installed system would be great. So far I have not figured a way to fit everything inside without having to build and fit a new bigger platform and leaving the canopy out.

Robvree,
That was also a great X-Mas present I've got for myself. But I couldn't wait until 25th to start building it. It has to be all ready and perfectly adjusted with the GoPro installed for filming beautiful beaches, guys doing Kite and normal Surf and of course, nice girls in bikinis for my portfolio during my holidays after X-Mas. This is my business project for 2012. After unpacking It took me on a easy peace arround 3:30 hours to put up all the structure together with ESC and motors. But now I just realized that the motors are not correctly aligned, even considering that they are designed to be a bit off center axis. They are looking messy and I will need to unscrew a bit the arms and try to align them properly. Be carefull as you fit the arm tubes inside the motor supports. I have the impression I may have forced a bit and damaged them as they have a specific position to fit in and lock (check the manual and carefully observe the parts before trying to assemble it) . I also need to make a battery plug adapter as my 3S 2200mAh Zyppy has XT-60 plugs while the Gaui motor cables goes into a double 4-1 adapter made for 3.5mm gold connectors in and out. Make sure you have that in mind as on the 25th you probably won't find a Hobby shop open to buy the needed parts and make a battery plug adapter if you need it.

Thanks to all for the nice feedback to this thread guys!
I hope it takes off and fly high!
: )
Last edited by Velociraptor73; Dec 16, 2011 at 03:56 PM.
Dec 16, 2011, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor73
Robvree,
That was also a great X-Mas present I've got for myself. But I couldn't wait until 25th to start building it. It has to be all ready and perfectly adjusted with the GoPro installed for filming beautiful beaches, guys doing Kite and normal Surf and of course, nice girls in bikinis for my portfolio during my holidays after X-Mas. This is my business project for 2012. After unpacking It took me on a easy peace arround 3:30 hours to put up all the structure together with ESC and motors. But now I just realized that the motors are not correctly aligned, even considering that they are designed to be a bit off center axis. They are looking messy and I will need to unscrew a bit the arms and try to align them properly. Be carefull as you fit the arm tubes inside the motor supports. I have the impression I may have forced a bit and damaged them as they have a specific position to fit in and lock (check the manual and carefully observe the parts before trying to assemble it) . I also need to make a battery plug adapter as my 3S 2200mAh Zyppy has XT-60 plugs while the Gaui motor cables goes into a double 4-1 adapter made for 3.5mm gold connectors in and out. Make sure you have that in mind as on the 25th you probably won't find a Hobby shop open to buy the needed parts and make a battery plug adapter if you need it.

Thanks to all for the nice feedback to this thread guys!
I hope it takes off and fly high!
: )
Even better, it's a gift from my wife! Gotta love her. I did make sure I have everything I need. I picked up a 3.5mm bullet to deans adapter to fit my batteries so I'm good to go there.

I'm a little concerned about fitting all the electronics as you mentioned above. I'll let you know what I come up with it.

Christmas can't seem to get here soon enough.
Dec 16, 2011, 04:47 PM
@velociraptor - You mention filming kiting and surfing. I spent a number of years shooting adventure sports professionally (mainly kiting and surfing). Take a look at my web site listed in my profile and while there go to the "Personal Work" portfolio to see some of my sports work. I don't shoot sports for money anymore (wasn't much money in it anyway) and instead have carved out a great niche business doing high end dog portraits.
Dec 16, 2011, 05:52 PM
Thread OP
Wow! Nice work Robvree!
The opening website photo gave me a good laugh!
Really good quality, both the sports and the dogs portraits.
Filming paraglaiding is also on my portfolio project.
I worked many years as a photographer assistant and have a bachelor degree in photography, but had to leave the photographic career a few years ago because of health problems.
Now I'm planing a new fresh start, but with aerial videos.
Hope I can enjoy this toys and make a living out of this. I'm not worried about earning much for now, if it pays the basic bills, gear investment and there is still enough to go out with friends for a beer will be a nice start for the coming year.

I also have some dogs portraits I took a long time ago from my late dogs.
It was before the digital era. When I find the prints I post it on Flicker and give you the link. Definitely not easy to get good pictures of dogs, they don't bother much about posing for photographers. LOL

Regarding the electronics fit inside the 500X, I forgot to mention that I'm trying to use the original dampered system plataform (#222202) that comes within the kit. It's the perfect size for a receiver and the original GU-344 stabilizer, but nothing more! It would offer a lot more room if it was almost the same size of central frame structure. I may buy another central frame plate to add another clean layer just for holding the eletronics and fix that with pins on rubber washers, just like the original.
But if I don't find a quick practical solution until tomorrow I will temporally fix everything right on the structure with tapered velcro and start trying some flights. It's not fun to just watch it laying still over the table...
Dec 17, 2011, 09:39 PM
Thread OP
One more thing to notice. When I screwed the fixing pins to the sytem platform they didn't went easily until the end, leaving the platform loose to vibrate. I then secured them with a plier to screw tight to the end, but that seems to have bent a bit the pins. Not sure but I don't think I used the wrong size screws. Now I'm looking for an acrylic board or similar material to cut and drill a bigger system platform to accommodate the big FRSky receiver and all the Wookong electronics.
Dec 21, 2011, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Viper
This is what I fly, you will love it!

Some tips:
If you are using the stock Gaui setup (Scorpion/HW), you should set your ESCīs timing to low.

If any / many other motors, set it to medium.
What is your gain settings on your 500x?
After the last firmware upgrade, default basic gain is to high for me.
The quad is shaking like hell.
I'm down to about 50 now and i is much calmer.
But it's winter in Norway so I have not been testing for a while.

I'm also going to check the timing of ESC.
I have the GUEC GM-412 motors, but I guess it's low timing for this motors too.

What type of doubble-sided tape are you using on you IMU?
Dec 22, 2011, 03:28 PM
I have read in a couple places (which I can't find again) that people recommend calibrating the ESC's with the throttle travel set at 110% and then set it back to 80% before flight. Is this recommended?
Dec 28, 2011, 08:24 PM
Thread OP
I have to say that I'm a bit disapointed with the 500x. Almost giving up the work of having to adapt the battery plug and DJI into that small frame without a proper support...and the free F450 frame that came with the WK-M os really staring at me....
Gaui, were are the multiplig connector and an upgraded sistem plataform for big nav stuff?
Camera frames options also doesn't appeal to me! The good ones are too heavy and expensive, and i'm getting affraid they will also need a lot of work to make a proper fitting....

With a bigger quad I could be already flying with all the gear properly, quickly and easily installed!

Am I wrong?
Dec 28, 2011, 08:45 PM
Thread OP
Has anyone tried to transfer Gaui motors and escs to the F450 frame?
I'm thinking about doing that to take off soon without having to do things that I'm really not in the mood of doing now, like playing the customization engineer and builder on the Gaui 500X frame(!). And I keep looking to those really misaligned motors, each looking in a different direction and thinking the pain in the **s it will be to aling them all perfectly! Specially that the arms doesn't not rotate and they are in the only position I could lock their movement!

Did this happened only with me? : /
Or is it the Gaui 500X such an amateur unfinished project?
It was a lot more complex but perfect fit and really joyful work to build a GMP Cobra back in the late 80's than this chinese plastic toy! It is probably like comparing a begginers Walkera heli with a proper T-Rex 600.

Regretting not choosing Xaircraft or Mikrokopter plataforms...even Y6 from FY should be better I think!
Dec 29, 2011, 02:16 AM
Velociraptor - I just got the Gaui 500x and WKM this week as my first quad and so far I can't say anything negative about the combination. The build went smooth with absolutely no surprises. The only issue I had was totally user error as I setup the motors according to the Gaui manual (1,2,3,4 clockwise) instead of the DJI manual (1,2,3,4 counterclockwise). Once I fixed that the first flight was awesome and nearly rock solid with the DJI and all settings at default.

One thing to note, the motors are not supposed to be aligned straight up and down. They purposely have a specific tilt.

As for the adapter, my DJI (USA) came stock with a deans plug and the gaui has 3.5mm bullet connectors on the ESC's. I just purchased a small deans/3.5mm adapter from my local hobby shop for $4.

I must say I am thrilled with the Gaui 500x at the moment. Tomorrow I am heading out to a local field so I can really fly it.
Dec 29, 2011, 08:53 AM
Thread OP
Last night after the post I realized I didn't bring the F450 frame for my hollydays. So went back to the 500X and started to assemble the Alware Flycam Stand V2 just to find out it is also not a perfect fit to the 500X structure...not to mention it doesn't have clear instructions. It is a guess procedure, specially regarding each screw size location and the washers does not fit the large ones, even if they seems to be there in the "instructions" pictures.

Am I having a bad luck, did I just became completely stupid one morning, or what?

Mine 500X assembly is really full of problems and I followed the manual patiently and correctly! But some parts just doesn't fit right like the screws that holds the pins in the system platform and the arms that are not locking in the correct position. I know the motors have a tilt towards the central frame when mounted on the poles but mines are also are laterally unaligned regarding the arm axis.

Did you fit all the WK-M components easily in the 500X system platform of did you place them directly in the central frame structure?

This afternoon I will disassemble and try to rebuild my 500X to see how it goes.
The LHS here were I am doesn't have the HXT 3.5mm to XT-60 or even 3.5mm to Deans adapter. I Will buy another soldering iron soon as I forgot to bring mine and will build an adapter as I have HXT 3.5mm and XT-60 connectors at hand, hopefully before 2012!
I want to fly test this thing with the GoPro Hero2 that I got just for it : )
Last edited by Velociraptor73; Dec 29, 2011 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply