May 26, 2013, 04:11 PM
Oh look a fly buzzin by !
I looked for what I wanted and arrived at what I need. I built one of Starcad's .40 sized Cessna 150 for electric and it is 3.7 lbs flying weight with 400g battery, 200g motor (prop+adapter not included) 50g speed control and 10g bec. 54 x 10 inch wing with 1.5 inch full span ailerons, it rolls very fast. The fuselage is extra long, 47 inches and the pitch response is medium, not that annoying vertical snap. A real treat to fly and land, great job Starcad.

That means if I build one for this NGH GT9 then it might be 4 to 4.5 lbs and still well able to get it in my short obstructed strip. At 3.7 lbs it's a real floater and I need to coax it down. An E-Starter has more sink rate than Starcad's Cessna 150. I did learn ultralight construction techniques.

These scratch builds usually cost me more than an arf or kit, it's just that most all of the .40's I can find have 20+ oz/sq ft wing loading and the approach will have to be too fast for my rural , 50 miles from the club, field.

I'm going to trust it, I like the looks better than the EVO. This styling, in justr about everything lately has taken a sort of evil look to me, I like the pre-2000's look in most everything.
Last edited by Chophop; May 26, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2013, 04:21 PM
Here's a look at the Cessna 150 scratch build. I also made it strutless and as a Texas Taildragger, did the fuselage in insulation foam to better tolerate the damp conditions in the mornings.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1231457
May 27, 2013, 12:15 AM
Great news guys.Dont forget, this engine has a ring which differs from Evo.Time will show advantage of it..
May 27, 2013, 06:09 PM
Need a bigger runway

Frozen GT9 Carb barrel

Has anyone else had their carb barrel freeze up in the open throttle position. Total engine run time so far is about 65 minutes. Thanks, Sandy
May 27, 2013, 08:25 PM
I thought ABC's lasted longer in the air and rings are better in dusty environments.

The carb might have a burr on the throttle shaft or several things could do that. The butterfly plate could be mounted offset in a way that it is lopsided in travel and snags the carb throat. The shaft could be bent and making the plate snag the throat. Or the link arm could be rubbing something. Maybe check with customer service to get cleared for working on it and save the time for returning it.
May 27, 2013, 08:46 PM
Dieselized User
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydr
Has anyone else had their carb barrel freeze up in the open throttle position. Total engine run time so far is about 65 minutes. Thanks, Sandy

Quite obviously from your photo the throttle arm has decide not to participate in your flying shenanigans.

It's fallen off.

Greg
May 27, 2013, 09:12 PM
Need a bigger runway
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz
Quite obviously from your photo the throttle arm has decide not to participate in your flying shenanigans.

It's fallen off.

Greg

I took the arm off at the field as it was giving the servo a headache.

Have taken the carb off the engine and undone a few screws here an there, but I think I am going to have to take it apart completely. It moves about 1.5mm freely and then just comes to a sudden stop.
May 27, 2013, 09:37 PM
The small screw on the back of the carb on the right side fits into a helical cut groove in the throttle barrel. It is what allows the barrel to rotate and go in and out at the same time. I would suspect there is something causing it to jam up somehow.

Now then a couple of years ago I acquired a Suevia 25cc engine and the throttle barrel was jammed up on it too. it turned out to be a small tiny lip or raised part was on the throttle barrel causing it to jam up against the carb body. But in this case it looked like someone tried to use a screw driver to pry on it and that caused the lip to form.
May 27, 2013, 09:46 PM
Need a bigger runway
Thanks Earl, will give that a try in the morning and see how I get on.
May 27, 2013, 11:29 PM
Yes as Earl said.Glow carbs sometimes having a small chip to lock the barrel.Remove the barrel and using a very fine file and touching very lightly,file the groove top to remove probable raising lips.I have met such cases several times on glow carbs.
May 28, 2013, 06:00 AM
Hobby People had a close match to this motor on their site as preliminary, waiting on stock for about a year then it disappeared, called it the Magnum 40, I think. Wonder what happened to it ?
May 28, 2013, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop
Hobby People had a close match to this motor on their site as preliminary, waiting on stock for about a year then it disappeared, called it the Magnum 40, I think. Wonder what happened to it ?
Evolution took over the development and it became the Evolution 10cc gas engine.
May 28, 2013, 06:54 AM

This engine in the World Model .40 Ultimate

Hi

I've been looking at TWM .40 Ultimate for quite a while now, and been toying with the thought of also installing a smoke system in it. As far as I know, getting smoke to work on a glow engine is quite a hassle, therefore I've started to concider this engine for the Ultimate.

Would it be too big of an engine for it? Since the Ultimate is made for glow, I guess it should be able to handle the vibrations, but how much worse is it really then glow? I'm also a tad concidered with the weight of the engine and ignition + pump, but it might turn out not too bad when it's in the air...

The plane in question is this; http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/p...airplaneid=102
May 28, 2013, 07:27 AM
The engine would work fine with the plane. I am flying one of the engines in a large .45 size sport pattern plane that is heavy compared to others (wood fuselage, foam core sheeted wing, and painted no heat shrink covering) and the plane flies just fine with the engine on it. So you would be perfectly Ok running the NGH 9cc gas engine on that plane.
May 28, 2013, 03:27 PM
Just for talk, it looks more like the GT9

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...rc-engine.html

Quick Reply