This thread is privately moderated by argo-2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:54 AM
Find More Posts by argo-2
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
Idea

Reverse-Thrust.

As can be seen from some of my Floater Jet (FJ) vids, my park flying area is just a bit challengingly short! Enter the idea of FJ reverse-thrust

I could have substituted in a RC car ESC, but that would have limited my throttle-stick throws to a half-forward & half-back, plus the BEC is pitifully low amperage. Then I found this forum: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hlight=reverse. This forum is a how-to for flashing Atmel8 AVR ESC's (TowerPro, BlueSeries/Mystery, Turnigy/HobbyWing, etc) to simonk's code. Its original intent was for Quadcopters ESC's as the new firmware (code) makes the ESC much smoother and responsive. Nek started the thread with simonk being the master-mind behind the code which was originally conceived and implemented by quax.

After much help I have succeeded in flashing a BlueSeries 12Amp which I pressed into service as a concept testbed. A vid of my testing is below and I have a nice new BlueSeries 30Amp ESC on its way to flash and try in my Floater Jet. Crazy times ahead!

I have programmed the ESC and 9X TX such that full-down throttle-stick is off/braked, with full-up full normal thrust (so perfectly normal so far). With the new ESC code, by adding in some throttle negative mix, via the three-position ID switch, the motor now runs backwards.

Here's a vid to show the idea. By the way the bandaid (we call them plasters) on my finger is not prop damage - its a burn from cooking a dinner. Bloody dangerous those kitchens and should be avoided

Flashed ESC to enable in-flight reverse thrust. (1 min 16 sec)

Added 1 January 2012. Welcome to the New Year everybody!

I have now flashed a new 30Amp BlueSeries ESC and installed it into my AXN. After some thought I decided to use the Rudder-Stick as my reverse control. This is activated via a TX switch and has TX-logic to ensure reverse can only be active if the stick is at or near the lowest position (normal throttle-off position). With these conditions met, moving the Rudder/Throttle stick left causes the motor to reverse proportional to how far the stick is moved left from centre. The Rudder is not active while this is in play.

Here's a vid to demonstrate. Sorry (again) for the low quality.

AXN Floater Jet - Motor reversing using Rudder-Stick. (1 min 1 sec)

Here is how I re-program ('flash') the ESC. Can now do this without removing anything from the plane
Last edited by argo-2; Jan 01, 2012 at 06:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by ozair
Space is the answer
Great job, looking forward to in flight vid.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by argo-2
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
Thanks oz. Now have a new ESC and have started to modd it. Thing is its Xmas now!! So it will have to wait a bit. Actually I write this waiting for the kids to rise and attack their presents

Will get a vid up when its done.

Cheers & Merry Xmas!