Feb 16, 2012, 12:02 AM
Balsa addict
Don't be scared helichoper, show that wing who's boss!.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2012, 12:29 AM
Highlights of my maiden FPV flight with onboard sound.
FPV - X8 maiden (9 min 46 sec)

Can see it fly slow and fast, climb and glide.
Near vertical climb at 4:00
The fastest segment of the ridge run was full throttle at about 5:35.
Notice that when the little bit of shaking is most noticeable in the HD view, it still looks
pretty stable in the flight view.
Slowest possible flight mode is from 7:15-8:15
Didn't fly the battery out at the end. When the low voltage alarm sounded, I could have gone around, but knew
I could just shut off and glide in from where I was.

ian
Feb 16, 2012, 12:34 AM
Foam Snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic
Yes! it's great to see some FPV flight. Can't understand the fascination with the go pro though, I want to see the downlink with OSD!

sub.
Agreed, it would be great to see real time ground speed and climb rate!
Feb 16, 2012, 12:42 AM
Balsa addict
Nice glide ratio.
Feb 16, 2012, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by helichoper
Ian your wings are stronger than mine,i received my x8 yesterday and the right wing has no spar in it at all so not to happy with that - i will let Bev know and see what they do about it .
Revisiting this.. I just brought my two wings in from the car and checked them, and guess what.
Exact same problem. Flat carbon spar is only molded into only the left wing half.
Somehow in the all the times I've picked up a wing and felt its strength, I've chosen
the left wing, and not the right. Yet when I've had both wings on the plane, and tested full wing
strength, I've usually rested it on the right wing, which then looks flexy. Mystery solved.

I wonder if they all have the same problem.

Getting out the straight edge, and knife. These wings are easy though. Thick, dead straight
top and bottom.

ian
Feb 16, 2012, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac
Hey Ian,

The x8 is looking pretty good, great videos!

It looks like its going to be a nice day tomorrow and I was thinking about coming down and doing some flying, are you going to be flying tomorrow?

Wac
I'd love to go fly, but may be tied up at work most of the day. Today I managed to
play hooky at about 4pm (last light of the day). Does look like a good day to fly though.

ian
Feb 16, 2012, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au
Don't be scared helichoper, show that wing who's boss!.
Lol Kev i will sort her out,i was more scared that i could have missed it

Wow Ian its amazing it didn't snap on your flight,i gave my wing without the spar a flex and its very flimsy --just ordered $60.00 worth of carbon fiber from HK
that ought a fix it.
Feb 16, 2012, 02:44 AM
I used two of these.
http://www.canuckengineering.com/new...on-flat-ribbon
They're long enough that they can just be cut in half and will cover all four slots.

I measured 3 1/2 inches (89mm) from the leading edge and perpendicular to it, to the point
where that line intersects the wing root and marked that spot. Call it point A.
I measured 1 7/8" (47.6mm) from the leading edge (and perpendicular to it) in about 2 1/2
inches (64mm) in from the end of the wing on the *top*. Call that point B.
Used a long straight edge held down firmly, and cut a slot about 8mm deep. Expanded
the slot with tip of a flat blade screwdriver until the ribbon slides into it easily, but still
firmly. Had to make sure slot was deep enough along entire length of ribbon so it would sit
about 0.5mm below the surface, and made sure the wing was still straight.

Masked on each side of the slot with clear packing tape (CA doesn't stick to it) laid wing flat,
and hit the whole thing with liberal amount of super thin CA and watched it wick in around
the ribbon. Then sprayed some kicker onto a payer towel and quickly rubbed it over the
whole length a couple times to pick up any liquid on the surface. Hit whole length with super
thin again and let it wick in. Again sprayed kicker on cloth and rubbed lightly over the
whole length, to pick up any pools. Then sprayed the whole length with kicker directly.
Test to make sure it's all set and no liquid CA remaining. Remove clear masking tape
(used the same 2 pieces of tape for all four sides), and sand off any bumps around the
slot. That was the top of the wing.

The bottom of the wing is a little special. Measure point A the same 3 1/2" back from (and
perpendicular to) the leading edge where it intersects the root. At the tip
end, again start about 2 1/2" from the end of the wing, but only measure back 1 3/4" (44.45_mm)
from the leading edge, and mark point B. The reason it's not quite the same as top, is that
the wing is thinner here and we want to avoid cutting all the way through the wing from top
to bottom. The root is thick so can start the same distance, but will offset very slightly at the
tip end. Ok, now lay your straight edge down between the two points, but don't start
cutting yet. Notice that the root end overlaps with the forward joiner tube which is closer
to the bottom surface of the wing. To avoid cutting into the tube, move your point A
about 2 inches (51mm) down the straight edge from the root and mark it. Make sure
the straight edge doesn't intersect the wire and then cut your slot. Expand, test fit ribbon..
repeat until it sits below the surface for whole length (slot will have to be a little deeper
in the covers because they stand proud of the rest of the wing)..
Repeat CA procedure. Done.

This method works on Elapor, the Skywalker and X8 EPO and all EPP wings.
Some brands of EPO will dissolve with super thin CA.

Alternately you can inject thick CA into the slot and push the ribbon in *quickly*
and then spray it with kicker and wait a long time until the CA deep in
the slot eventually cures. I've done it this way several times but you risk it starting to
set before the ribbon is fully seated and that's messy to fix. For foams that
can handle super thin, the first way is a lot easier.

ian
Last edited by Daemon; Feb 16, 2012 at 03:06 AM.
Feb 16, 2012, 03:01 AM
DS state of origin NSW Vs QLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Revisiting this.. I just brought my two wings in from the car and checked them, and guess what.
Exact same problem. Flat carbon spar is only molded into only the left wing half.
Somehow in the all the times I've picked up a wing and felt its strength, I've chosen
the left wing, and not the right. Yet when I've had both wings on the plane, and tested full wing
strength, I've usually rested it on the right wing, which then looks flexy. Mystery solved.

I wonder if they all have the same problem.

Getting out the straight edge, and knife. These wings are easy though. Thick, dead straight
top and bottom.

ian
Just checked my wings and to my surprise!!..............

....................................Both wings had spars in them
Feb 16, 2012, 03:04 AM
Verified that two ribbon spars installed as above in a wing with no spar, is much more rigid than
the the wing with stock spar. Installing the ribbons in addition to the stock spar, is
absolutely rock solid. Wings on the plane, all together much stiffer. Can see that
the only bend now is in the main joiner, but it's stiffer than the one I had to add to
my Foamaroo and it'll take a pretty good dive, so I think this'll eliminate the
shake in normal flight regimes.

ian
Last edited by Daemon; Feb 16, 2012 at 03:14 AM.
Feb 16, 2012, 03:42 AM
Great run down thanks Ian ---BIG NOTE TO ALL--CHECK YOUR LEFT WING FOR THE SPAR OR THE LACK OF IT--
Feb 16, 2012, 03:55 AM
On a holiday?
I guess the guy placing the right wing spar before mold had a day off resulting in some X8s missing the right spar.
Feb 16, 2012, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by helichoper
Great run down thanks Ian ---BIG NOTE TO ALL--CHECK YOUR LEFT WING FOR THE SPAR OR THE LACK OF IT--
Check *both* wings. My left wing has the stock spar. Right wing was missing it.

ian
Feb 16, 2012, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Check *both* wings. My left wing has the stock spar. Right wing was missing it.

ian

Ok this is bad--some kid doesn't know the ropes LOL.

Quick Reply