Mar 24, 2014, 11:50 AM
Nice vids guys. Keep them coming. Here's a couple recent flights with MyFlyDream board on my X8. Got some issues with my G3 gimbal to iron out with drift and shaking but had some decent scenery to pop out here. When or are they ever going to make it possible to mount a Zen muse gimbal inverted on a fixed wing? I want that gimbal on top of my planes....!!!!

Over some water in Florida -
Ponce Inlet, X8 with My Fly Dream AP - @ Beach Flying Wing - FPV in HD (8 min 13 sec)

Flying at my local Florida Ponderosa-
Skywalker X8 Cruising Haines city FPV HD (3 min 43 sec)
Last edited by Nucc10; Mar 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2014, 12:54 AM
Hi...Nucc10.
Got some nice places to fly there in Florida.
The gimbal on top of the X8 looks promising.
Just a couple of quick questions if I may ask.
How do you think it will it handle in gusty conditions.
How much extra weight will it be on the X8.
Do you use the GoPro as a video recorder only, or to look through as the fpv camera as well.
...Pete
Mar 25, 2014, 10:36 AM
Kasper, we should meet up in the air some day.
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspers1 View Post
a little X8-flight in good weather conditions
The best ever FPV plane so far...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vp4tRxyE2ow
Mar 25, 2014, 11:26 AM
@Kenneth Eriksson - I spent a couple of lovely weeks outside of Malmo, back in 1994-1995. Beautiful country!

<sorry for the OT comments>
Mar 29, 2014, 09:44 AM
Nick Radle
Without having to read all 600 pages...
How many people have installed landing gear on this aircraft(retractable or otherwise), and if so, how is the ground handling? How well does it deal with the extra weight?
Mar 29, 2014, 05:09 PM
null
Last edited by Zedtwitz; Mar 12, 2020 at 06:23 AM.
Mar 30, 2014, 10:22 AM
Nick Radle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedtwitz
Less than ten, but see for yourself: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sear...LANDING%20GEAR

I just reduced the number of pages you have to read by an order of magnitude. Enjoy!
Thanks! There don't seem to be any of these available in the US right now, so I'll have to order overseas direct. Anyone have any recommendations?
Mar 31, 2014, 12:33 AM
aka JoshW, damightyj
If you're on the west coast I really like working with Mark at CambriaHobby. Well, anywhere in the US really.. That's assuming you mean the X8 and not the retracts?
Mar 31, 2014, 04:09 AM

Rebuild/redesign of the X8, all glassed

Would anyone here be interested in a build log of the X8 fully glassed with epoxy, with before and after weight figures for all modifications?
You'll be amazed at the weights. I was.
Modified tips, no Fearless Fosdick chin, (search on it, kids). Single wheel gear, elastic launching device (I call it my linear accelerator), top mounted low drag pan and tilt w. Mobius, etc. etc.
Most important thing I learned is how to glass this foam successfully, and what the weight penalty really is.
In return, I could use some education on the maiden flight, and anything else you all see that I've overlooked, or screwed up on.
Jim
Mar 31, 2014, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedtwitz
Less than ten, but see for yourself: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sear...LANDING%20GEAR

I just reduced the number of pages you have to read by an order of magnitude. Enjoy!
Can't make your link work. Whazzamatterhere?
Mar 31, 2014, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo22 View Post
Would anyone here be interested in a build log of the X8 fully glassed with epoxy, with before and after weight figures for all modifications?
You'll be amazed at the weights. I was.
Modified tips, no Fearless Fosdick chin, (search on it, kids). Single wheel gear, elastic launching device (I call it my linear accelerator), top mounted low drag pan and tilt w. Mobius, etc. etc.
Most important thing I learned is how to glass this foam successfully, and what the weight penalty really is.
In return, I could use some education on the maiden flight, and anything else you all see that I've overlooked, or screwed up on.
Jim
Sure, post up.
Mar 31, 2014, 05:26 AM
When a hobby gets a passion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks View Post
Without having to read all 600 pages...
How many people have installed landing gear on this aircraft(retractable or otherwise), and if so, how is the ground handling? How well does it deal with the extra weight?
You can see this:

X8 take off (1 min 46 sec)

Ground handling: perfect. Hardly any extra weight. There are many posts by me on how to install.
Mar 31, 2014, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshW24 View Post
Personally I wouldn't put too much emphasis though on it being too hard to balance. Harder? Maybe, depending on your setup.. Too hard? Nah..

I did 5mil over the entire wings and everything balances fine with my setup.. one Nanotech 6000mah 4S in the front bay set it up perfectly. I think its largely dependent on your whole setup. Sometimes I do a second battery, and that one has a home that maintains the CG as well. Maybe I got lucky, but, its not going to be a dealbreaker to cover the entire wing, and at the end of the day that lam is not that heavy.

1.7-2mil cover is not enough to have the desired impact though, I would say 3mil as a min, 5 mil to make it a ninja blade.
I just glassed the entire airframe with epoxy, and I have before and after weights. Amazing numbers.
Has anyone weighed the X8 before and after a 5-mil film job? Probably not much penalty, but it would be interesting to know just how much.
Mar 31, 2014, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01
You can see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2skAV-wMvI

Ground handling: perfect. Hardly any extra weight. There are many posts by me on how to install.
Nice!
Link me up to those posts~!!
Mar 31, 2014, 02:40 PM
Nick Radle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01
You can see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2skAV-wMvI

Thanks. Yeah, I watched that video before. It's what got me more interested in the x8 over the skyhunter. I had to pay$80 to ship ems express from China, but at least I have one coming!

Quick Reply