Feb 02, 2013, 09:03 AM
I got the idea from the ZephirII. I am trying now how it works and the first impressions are nice. Where I fly the field looks green, but has alot of "stuff" on the ground and the X8 suffers, even with fiberglass belly. I hope this will help. Stay tuned.

PD: the cracs on the fuse were before
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2013, 09:19 AM
Keep calm and carry on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordega View Post
I got the idea from the ZephirII. I am trying now how it works and the first impressions are nice. Where I fly the field looks green, but has alot of "stuff" on the ground and the X8 suffers, even with fiberglass belly. I hope this will help. Stay tuned.

PD: the cracs on the fuse were before

Santa's X8
Feb 03, 2013, 04:05 AM
Hi Guys,

What could one expect as a rough flight time on the x-8 with a basic fpv setup + gopro? Any chance of getting 30mins+ ?
Feb 03, 2013, 04:31 AM
Sure, if you take it easy you can get 30 minutes out of a single 4S 5000 pack.
I can probably do it on my 3S 5000s too, but it's too boring to fly that conservatively.
Feb 03, 2013, 09:34 AM
When a hobby gets a passion
Quote:
Originally Posted by borneobear View Post
I've set up a few X8s with the FY31AP. No complaints what-so-ever. All stock PID, just move the dip switch to flying wing, make sure the directions are right, and fly!

For the maiden flight, make sure to put the aileron gain waaaaaaaaaaaaay down.
Putting the gyro gain too high will result in severe oscillation and a very short scary flight.

BB
Dear BB,

The center position is zero, and there are 3 marks to either side. What would you suggest to put the the dial? If each mark is 33%, what would be your suggestion?
Feb 03, 2013, 04:37 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
All you electrical and ecalc wizards. Looking for a recommended high end motor/esc/prop upgrade combo for my X8.

I bought the stock power combo bevrc offered just to get started.

I have four 6000mah 4S, will fly with 2 on board in parallel. My goal is endurance/distance for FPV and autonomous missions.

I'm running my autopilot and radios off a separate 3S.

What's work best for you all, performance and reliability wise. Looking for quality over cost savings.
Feb 03, 2013, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso M View Post
All you electrical and ecalc wizards. Looking for a recommended high end motor/esc/prop upgrade combo for my X8.

I have four 6000mah 4S, will fly with 2 on board in parallel. My goal is endurance/distance for FPV and autonomous missions.

What's work best for you all, performance and reliability wise. Looking for quality over cost savings.
your get started bevrc motor and esc combo when clicked on leads to a horse crap earn money working on line site.
Feb 03, 2013, 07:29 PM
Quote:
My goal is endurance/distance for FPV and autonomous missions.

Looking for quality over cost savings.
I have the same goal. Although I am flying 3S, not 4S. But I find these motors very reliable:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tors-35mm.html
Maybe the NTM3548-900 would be fine for you.

I use on 3S:
Turnigy 70A SBEC
NTM 35-42, 1250KV
Master Airscrew 10x6
Feb 03, 2013, 09:03 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01 View Post
Dear BB,

The center position is zero, and there are 3 marks to either side. What would you suggest to put the the dial? If each mark is 33%, what would be your suggestion?
I don't really rely on those marks. My experience with pots is that they're not "calibrated" in any way, so my Mark No. 2 will never be the same as your Mark No. 2.

The way I test it:

1. Move pot to zero, than turn 1/4th from that.
2. Check the servo direction is correct (both in auto-balance and with the transmitter).
3. Hold the plane (safely!!) and activate the motor. Observe the aileron servo movement - if at 80% throttle the vibration will cause the ailerons to oscillate, reduce gyro gain further. If not, then proceed to test fly.

Cheers,

BB
Feb 03, 2013, 10:19 PM
A good reference is the X-8 setup list started by Stefan Gofferje. My setup (listed in the table) is capable of cruising at 5.1 amps using an O.S. 3825-750kv motor and 5000mah 4S 1P battery pack. There's another in Stefan's list producing similar results. The added weight of your anticipated setup may result in greater power consumption, however.

I've been quite happy with the O.S. motor so far. In fact, I've ordered another O.S. for a new build. In my experience, they seem to strike a good balance between cost/quality. No, I don't work for O.S., just thought I'd share my experience.

Quote:

Feb 04, 2013, 04:55 PM

New upgrade parts for X8

Ok got a better pic up for you on the upgrade its 75.00 for all the parts.. The pieces for wing include tabs on bottom for mounting air tubes or other equipment. The pieces on ends of wing to hold the tail pieces on can be enlarged to allow mounting transmitter downlink on end of wing. These pieces will allow for wing tips and wings to be bolted on and off using 4-40 bolts and nuts which are included in the price. Here is link
http://www.averticalview.biz/x8-wing-.html
Feb 04, 2013, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borneobear View Post
I don't really rely on those marks. My experience with pots is that they're not "calibrated" in any way, so my Mark No. 2 will never be the same as your Mark No. 2.

The way I test it:

1. Move pot to zero, than turn 1/4th from that.
2. Check the servo direction is correct (both in auto-balance and with the transmitter).
3. Hold the plane (safely!!) and activate the motor. Observe the aileron servo movement - if at 80% throttle the vibration will cause the ailerons to oscillate, reduce gyro gain further. If not, then proceed to test fly.

Cheers,

BB
Thanks BB, much appreciated.
Feb 05, 2013, 12:10 AM
FPV Pilot
How does that setup effect the aerodynamics when lowered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wep View Post
Teaser preview.

GoPro for FPV view, and extra camera in nose for landing.

Retracting GoPro will auto switch camera view to fixed nose fpv camera for landing.

Full 360° pan, , 90° tilt, headtracker

Rebuilding at the moment make it fit even better.
stay tuned.
Feb 05, 2013, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averticalview View Post
Ok got a better pic up for you on the upgrade its 75.00 for all the parts.. The pieces for wing include tabs on bottom for mounting air tubes or other equipment. The pieces on ends of wing to hold the tail pieces on can be enlarged to allow mounting transmitter downlink on end of wing. These pieces will allow for wing tips and wings to be bolted on and off using 4-40 bolts and nuts which are included in the price. Here is link
http://www.averticalview.biz/x8-wing-.html
$75 is almost half the price of the plane. Isn't that quite a bit? I know some people are gonna say, "it's a small price to pay if your sending up a thousand dollars worth of fpv gear up"... but really, don't you think that's over priced?
Feb 05, 2013, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
$75 is almost half the price of the plane. Isn't that quite a bit? I know some people are gonna say, "it's a small price to pay if your sending up a thousand dollars worth of fpv gear up"... but really, don't you think that's over priced?
That was exactly the same thought I had when I saw that.

Quick Reply