Aug 05, 2012, 11:16 AM
hi all I am finally getting around to building this beast... \

mine came missing the two rectangular plates (plywood) that go on the wing and slot into the body...

anyone else missing these parts? or were they found to be not usefull???

Thanks!!

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2012, 11:17 AM
Just a bored guy
They were discontinued from the parts que.
Aug 05, 2012, 11:28 AM
ah so I guess most people are using tape to hold the wings on?

thanks for the answer!

Steve
Aug 05, 2012, 11:32 AM
Just a bored guy
You can either use:
- a bolt through the exposed part.
- velcro on the mating surface.
- use custom made wood squares to replaced the discontinued ones.
- tape.
Aug 05, 2012, 11:37 AM
thanks man... I am searching this thread for some power configs... I don't want speed... looking for flight duation and wondering if anyone has used the skywalker 2814 980kv motor with sucess.....

Steve
Aug 05, 2012, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
I've noticed every time I throw mine, that I have to be prepared to grip it hard or it'll go before I'm ready. I've glued sandpaper into the finger holes as suggested by a poster earlier in this thread and I'm certain it has saved my hand on several occasions. DO THE SANDPAPER IN THE FINGER HOLES!
I've noticed the same with it trying to pull out of my hand if I'm not
gripping tightly enough. The sandpaper is a good idea and I'll certainly
add that to both my X8's. The LHS sells adhesive backed sand paper
and it may be possible to get it to stick even better with a little thick CA.

ian
Aug 05, 2012, 01:39 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me
- a bolt through the exposed part.
I do this and so far, so good. I don't believe anything else is needed (in my case). When it's flying, the wing lifts up the stuff in the middle (ie, fuse) and this tends to apply just the right amount of leverage to keep the wings from pulling away from the center. The only time you might have force acting to pull the wings away would be a weird landing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
I've noticed the same with it trying to pull out of my hand if I'm not
gripping tightly enough. The sandpaper is a good idea and I'll certainly
add that to both my X8's. The LHS sells adhesive backed sand paper
and it may be possible to get it to stick even better with a little thick CA.

ian
I hot glued the sand paper to the finger holes. Cut to an approximate shape, glue. Use a medium grade of sandpaper. Finishing (wet) sandpaper might be too "smooth".
Aug 05, 2012, 06:35 PM
Good point; I was thinking the same thing while reading about DJEncore's unfortunate accident, along with follow-up suggestions. In fact, back in post 2384, Opt verified this is the technique he uses to launch his X8. I've located some additional examples on his YouTube channel:

X8 launch (and crash)
X8 standing launch
Really good 3rd person view of launch

Quote:
There is another alternative besides a catapult.
The X8 as been successfully launched side arm, but I still can't
bring myself to try it. Maybe when X8 #2 is fully ready to fly,
I'll try it with #1.

ian
Last edited by wmartin; Aug 06, 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Correct original attribution... D'OH!
Aug 05, 2012, 07:21 PM
wep
wep
https://vimeo.com/wep800
Quote:
No, the X8 can't be thrown power off consistently. It's a heavy plane
and it needs to be going about 20mph to fly at all. Pushing from
the finger holes on the bottom is well below the center of mass, so
it generally causes the plane to pitch up and stall (tip stalls, and
drops one wing) before you get a chance to power up. Even if
you do get on the power, it's usually after the stall and you'll just drive it into
the ground. Even on the slope with a decent headwind and lift,
I've still found I need to give it some throttle to get a consistent launch.

Graphic photos aside, I'll continue to hand launch. The keys
to a safe throw (for you and the aircraft) are.
1. THROW the plane. Don't just let it try to pull itself out of your hand.
If you've got a high power setup, it's going to feel like it's going to
fly out of your hand, but if you let it, it has almost no airspeed at release
and will drop toward your hand.
2. Follow through after your hard throw. This is the most critical one.
If you're throwing the plane hard, then the follow through at the end of
the throwing arc carries your hand downward very quickly out of the way
of the prop.
3. Launch into the wind. For the same reasons as #1, you don't
want the plane dropping on release because its initial airspeed is too low.
4. Don't get complacent. Still need to follow 1-3 on the 50th launch.

Obviously people can choose to do whatever they want.
It's a calculated risk like so many other things in life. I certainly
won't let anyone else throw my X8.

There is another alternative besides a catapult.
The X8 as been successfully launched side arm, but I still can't
bring myself to try it. Maybe when X8 #2 is fully ready to fly,
I'll try it with #1.

ian

I don't want to continue nagging about the danger of throwing and make it an endless discussion but I just wanted to say a last remark.
Sorry Ian, just have to criticize you here for a second and then I will really stop about this. Just hate to see someone get hurt again like this.

What is your calculation in the calculated risk?
And if it is a calculated risk for you, you accept it will go wrong one day?

We are not talking about a good or bad throw. We are now talking about life or dead right?
It sounds exaggerated but as we all just read it is not anymore!

I just don't understand that you, especially you mention these tips here on this huge forum like if you follow these step it is safe to throw.
You even mention safe throw.
The throw is just nót safe, with power on that prop it is just not safe----> again: prop on backside and just has to pass your arm, hand and head.

Your keys are very very important yes, but.............. they make it less dangerous,not safe.

Wind gusts, no-wind condition when you are use to windcondition, balance(some people just can't throw anything right , connection you/airplane(finger holes), elevator trimsettings, hardware error,experience!!................... etc etc
Just some factors that can make the throw horrible.

I know you mean it all good and mention alternatives at the end but please realize that there are many many people, including newbies who buy this plane as a first or second airplane and read and study this thread. (cool looking plane, realtive cheap, fpv interested people )
Some of them read (as I did) YOU as a very serious and experienced and will follow your advice almost blind.
If you say it is safe, it might be convenient to immediately accept that from a guru like you cause it's safes the hassle of building a launcher right?
Yes, you mention that the risk is calculated and maybe you can make that calculation but for most people this calculation is impossible and it's just pure Russian Roulette without knowing it.

Just realize your opinion is more valuable and being used then you might think (which is a compliment) but be carefull with this one to give advice; in which order.
I said the same thing a week ago to RSowder:

Come on, you should know better; Murphy?
I believe YOU can throw this plane in a safe manner and will never hurt yourself but I would not advertise and discourage people not building a safe launcher.
How would you feel you just made somebody throw it and hurt themselves.......

......1 week later, this accident.

Life is full of calculated risks, very true but we are continuously trying to avoid most of these without even knowing it and like this one is just so easy to avoid. Relative easy.
Aug 05, 2012, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wep
I don't want to continue nagging about the danger of throwing and make it an endless discussion but I just wanted to say a last remark.
Sorry Ian, just have to criticize you here for a second and then I will really stop about this. Just hate to see someone get hurt again like this.

What is your calculation in the calculated risk?
And if it is a calculated risk for you, you accept it will go wrong one day?

We are not talking about a good or bad throw. We are now talking about life or dead right?
It sounds exaggerated but as we all just read it is not anymore!

I just don't understand that you, especially you mention these tips here on this huge forum like if you follow these step it is safe to throw.
You even mention safe throw.
The throw is just nót safe, with power on that prop it is just not safe----> again: prop on backside and just has to pass your arm, hand and head.

Your keys are very very important yes, but.............. they make it less dangerous,not safe.

Wind gusts, no-wind condition when you are use to windcondition, balance(some people just can't throw anything right , connection you/airplane(finger holes), elevator trimsettings, hardware error,experience!!................... etc etc
Just some factors that can make the throw horrible.

I know you mean it all good and mention alternatives at the end but please realize that there are many many people, including newbies who buy this plane as a first or second airplane and read and study this thread. (cool looking plane, realtive cheap, fpv interested people )
Some of them read (as I did) YOU as a very serious and experienced and will follow your advice almost blind.
If you say it is safe, it might be convenient to immediately accept that from a guru like you cause it's safes the hassle of building a launcher right?
Yes, you mention that the risk is calculated and maybe you can make that calculation but for most people this calculation is impossible and it's just pure Russian Roulette without knowing it.

Just realize your opinion is more valuable and being used then you might think (which is a compliment) but be carefull with this one to give advice; in which order.
I said the same thing a week ago to RSowder:

Come on, you should know better; Murphy?
I believe YOU can throw this plane in a safe manner and will never hurt yourself but I would not advertise and discourage people not building a safe launcher.
How would you feel you just made somebody throw it and hurt themselves.......

......1 week later, this accident.

Life is full of calculated risks, very true but we are continuously trying to avoid most of these without even knowing it and like this one is just so easy to avoid. Relative easy.
I think Ian's tips are helpful for someone, like myself, that has to hike to their launch location. It's not practical to cary a launcher to my launch point. But, if an individual feels it's not worth the risk, then by all means, use an alternative launch system.

One other tip to reduce (not eliminate) the risk is to use a 4S battery with a higher KV motor which will use a smaller prop. I use a 10" prop which is significantly smaller than the 13" prop that was involved in the accident.
Aug 05, 2012, 09:29 PM
Just a bored guy
Hey guys, a little help here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticFlight
Hey guys, I'm almost all the way through this thread and have gotten tons of great info! I'm still relatively new to model flying, but when I saw this wing I knew I had to have it. I was wondering if you guys thought this setup would be efficient? Here's my gear list that I've complied after reading this thread.

2x Turnigy Nano-Tech 6000mah 4s 25-50c In Parallel
Scorpion SII-3026-710 V2
13X6.5 Aeronaut Cam Prop
Ax 70A 90a Max ESC from BevRC
CC BEC 10a 5.5v for APM2, Telemetry and servos
APM2 Purple
3DR Telemetry kit for Tx&Rx
APM2 MinimOSD
Super HAD CCD Camera 1/3 Sony 520TV Lines From DIYDrones
5.8Ghz 500mA Wireless Video Transmitter-Receiver kit from DIYDrones for Vtx&Vrx
Futaba 6EX 2.4GHZ Tx&Rx
TGY-390DMH High Performance MG Digital Servo (Extra Strong) 5.4kg / .11sec / 22.5g
Airspeed kit from DIYDrones

I'm a total noob here so I'm looking for all the help that I can get. What do you guys think of this setup? What kind of battery should I use for my video cam and transmitter? eCalc is showing the motor setup gives 86% efficiency with 3.2kg of static thrust. That should be adequate right? Thanks for all the help in advance everyone!

Ecalc calculations
Aug 05, 2012, 09:38 PM
Woo hoo just got my silver n black x8 in the mail just gotta build it next time Im home carnt wait I got some gr8 ideas frm all u guys cheers another 80 or 90 hrs of reading lol and I should be ready to have a crack with the big girl
Aug 05, 2012, 10:19 PM
AP-stick
sorry for the accident DJencore

i never lauch X8 myself yet since lauch by myself seems
difficult and more dangerous... and my X8 config change often
(still in the addon & tweak mode) also being alone flying
add more risk...

yet i have 3 guys that help me with my X8... including my 16 years old son...

i always ask to hold & lauch the X8 really high with elbow almost straight:
-- the arm swing result in a down movement of the hand as stated by ian
--the higher altitude help to recover the X8 if the lauch is bad
--this is not a Olympic javelin... its easy to throw and only need 50% throttle...
--the sand paper grip is an excellent idea thanks... in my "do" list...

IF YOU TROW THE x8 LOW AS A JAVELIN , YOUR HAND+HARM
WILL STAY ON THE PROP PATH !

still ... accident can happend...
i'l rather fly my X8 instead of a 50cc gaser with 20 inch prop !
Last edited by ggtronic; Aug 05, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Aug 05, 2012, 10:46 PM
Opt
Opt
Quote:
Been thinking about this mod for a while. The wing I flew before the X8 (and will again) is
the Foamaroo. It is *super* quiet. Quietest pusher plane I've ever seen or heard
even at high throttle. It's very stealthy. It has a round fuse, and the prop is well back from
the trailing edge of the wing which is very thin. I was disappointed to find that the X8 is pretty
noisy despite its fairly sleek looking fuse. I think the problem is that big fat square trailing edge
on the fuse. It throws off turbulence that the prop beats through. Been thinking about
trimming it down to a sharp edge with a knife, but don't want to increase the taper angle
of the TE and cause early separation there (separation off a square edge is more
efficient than separation off a rounded or too steep triangular TE). So tonight, I just started squishing
the foam with my fingers. EPO will crush some (more than EPP, less than EPS) so I'm thinning both the
TE and some of the wing/fuse blend area in front of the TE to keep the taper angle low. I think
I can go a bit further but this is where I'm at so far.

Almost half the thickness of the original, and I think I can maybe apply some laminate
here to extend the TE back about half an inch right to a clean sharp edge.

ian
How is progress on making it quieter? What about spacing the motor further from the back of the plane ~2" or something like that?
Aug 05, 2012, 11:42 PM

My X8 Setup HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me
Hey guys, a little help here...

Thanks for the bump! I'm really looking for comments and criticisms of this setup. I've also put it all in an excel spreadsheet which I'm attaching to this post with the links to the right to make it a little easier if you want to look at each item individually. Thanks again for all the help in advance!

Quick Reply