Jun 19, 2012, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredAir
From way down south, it looks like a landing mishap with SS, and a high-speed cartwheel with DD.
Who's writing the report for the XCsoaring website, and who'll be sending photos?

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Dudley's MXC blew up midair. After seeing 5 MXC's do this in the last couple years I think VNE is about 90 mph for them. My suspicion after seeing Kathy's photos of the wreckage raining down over the hangars is that it first broke the tail off just ahead of the fin, then the wing blew up. John Ellias' new MXC is significantly beefed up which should avoid this problem and RnR should strongly consider John's mods for all future MXC's given the high cost of this ship.

Super Supra hit the fence hard at the finish line on day 3 when we got a little too competitive racing Flaming Aero's MXC all the way from Montague to the finish line. She'll be back good as new for Cal Valley.

Steve
Last edited by TrekBiker; Jun 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2012, 07:27 PM
Good for what ALES you
I took my Montague photos, some great ones from Kathy, and a few that were posted here and put a longer video together.

Enjoy!

The Full Montague (3 min 0 sec)
Last edited by awilmunder; Jun 19, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Jun 19, 2012, 08:19 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Nice vid, Aric. Looks like you guys & gals had fun.

Chris B.
Last edited by SoaringDude; Jun 20, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Jun 20, 2012, 04:12 PM
NCSS / SVSS Flyer
"Holm- und Rippenbruch" and remember "Ohne Aufwind geht's immer bergab!"

"Spars and Ribs can Break and Without thermals, it's all downhill !!! "

2 very solid truths of X/C.
Jun 20, 2012, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
Started hangar clean up and found a pair of reading glasses and a large tubular pickup bed extender.
Regards Dean
Jun 20, 2012, 09:57 PM
NCSS / SVSS Flyer
Tubes are Dudley's I bet.
Jun 20, 2012, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN GRADWELL
Started hangar clean up and found a pair of reading glasses and a large tubular pickup bed extender.
Regards Dean
reading glasses might be kathy's

she has about a dozen pair lost here at our house at any given time.....
Jun 20, 2012, 11:12 PM

Montague 15th Annual Cross Country Cup report

Welcome to the 15th Annual Montague Cross Country Cup, Please hold all questions to the end If your plane is red you need not read this. First I want to thank all 8 teams for giving their all every day, They came from New Hampshire, Oregon, and California just to chase Eagles across the best Cross Country site in The USA Montague, California. A very special thanks to the man who made all this possible Dean Gradwell of Jacksonville, Oregon, He opened his hangers to us all and made sure everything we needed was supplied. Roger Hebner made sure the wenches (I mean winches) all worked throughout the event and shagged chutes all day thanks Roger you’re the man. Teams started to arrive Sunday night, Monday and Tuesday found teams getting ready for the first task on Wednesday a 16.6 mile Crew Race. Three Teams attempted the course with only one team completing the task Screaming Eagles with Rick Shelby at the controls great job Rick. Wednesday night was a catered Lasagna dinner put on by The Tea Room owner Patty made sure everyone was fat and happy what a great meal with great company what more is there, But wait there’s more.
Day 1, Thursdays Pilots meeting started at 10am with the award for the crew race given to Rick Shelby along with his 50k pin he earned Tuesday good job Rick, Thursdays Task would be a 33.8 mile run using turn points 1-2-9-6-2-1 and the wind would be a factor in afternoon. Winches opened right after pilots meeting with the first team launching around 11:30, The weather was great with moderate thermals through out the course and the wind became a factor making teams work for their mileage and time. Team Windward would win the day followed by Scream Eagles, Flying Tigers, Flaming Arrow, 221, Dust Devils, 039 and Ascendant.
Day 2, Friday would start at 10am with pilots meeting and awards for Thursdays task given to Team Windward for their awesome flight. Today’s task would be 28.7 miles using turn points 1-2-9-3-5-2-1. Weather was a mirror of Thursday and teams chomping at the bit to get going on course, Once again thermals were ok but no real boomers and again wind would play a factor. Team Screaming Eagles would take the checker flag followed by Flying Tigers, Flaming Arrow, Windward, Dust Devils, 221, 039, and Ascendant.
Day 3, Saturday would find the weather warming and the pilots meeting starting at 9:00 with a seminar on Telemetry that’s becoming available soon, Screaming Eagles received there much earned trophy for a fine flight on Day 2 good job (If only that driver could work the stop watch). Day 3 task would be hot and fast with only 18.1 miles using Turn points 1-2-3-4-5-2-1. Team Flaming Arrow would out run everyone followed by Screaming Eagles, 221, Flying Tigers, windward, 039, Dust Devil, and Ascendant.
Day 4, Sunday the final race for excellence and the right to be King of Montague Cross Country Cup, The day started off with the weather heating up as did the teams this was it last chance to fly and fly fast across the most awesome cross country course anywhere. After pilots meeting and award for day 3 given to Team Flaming Arrow the flying begin. A short fast run of 16.6 miles using turn points 1-2-9-2-1 would prove to be fast as thermals were strong and high taking sailplanes as high as 1130 meters. After all the dust settled Team Scream Eagle would be the fastest followed by 221, Dust Devils, Flaming Arrow, Flying tigers, Windward, 039, and Ascendant .
Wow what a week of flying every team should be proud of all they did in Montague, Cross Country flying is the ultimate RC flying bar none and everyone should try it at least once. Well I guess it’s time for the final scores to a grand week, Ok here they are: 1st Team Screaming Eagle, 2nd Flaming Arrow, 3rd Flying Tigers, 4th Windward, 5th 221, 6th Dust Devils, 7th Matt Brady o39, 8th Ascendants. Well that’s it I want to thank everyone for letting me CD your contest and I’ll see everyone in Sept at Cal Valley. Here’s the scores:
Name: CONTEST_SUMMARY[1].jpg
Views: 106
Size: 238.9 KB
Description:
Jun 21, 2012, 02:52 PM
somewhere in South America
Thanks Ron! -- I wasn't there, but from memory (and being the superb XC driver that I am... ; ) I think Day 1's task had to be 1-2-9-2-5-6-5-2-1; basically to the tanks, up to the school, straight south to Grenada, straight back to the tanks, and home.
Day 2 must've been 1-2-9-2-3-4-5-2-1.
We know we missed a great event. That's the price one pays for moving away...

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Jun 21, 2012, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredAir
...From memory and being the superb XC driver that I am.....

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Dieter, I know your memory is good and maybe a superb driver... but Ron posted the tasks as flown.

Day 1 was 1-2-9-2-6-2-1. One didn't have to fly through 5.

and

Day 2 was 1-2-9-3-5-2-1 One didn't have to fly through 2 (after 9) and not through 4.

It made for some interesting flights and some cutting of corners.

- Bob -
Jun 21, 2012, 03:54 PM
somewhere in South America
Ahh yes: GPS scoring! The cars still pass the "missing" turn points but the planes may cut. Interesting and creative! Now I know for sure: we DID miss a good event.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Jun 21, 2012, 08:44 PM

Montague 2012

I forgot to thank bob and John for score our contest with winscore You two did a supurb job. Also the BBQ Saturday night was better then last year I'll have to work out for a week or two.
Ron
Jun 22, 2012, 12:43 AM
Here is my photo montage, we had a blast! Thanks Dean, Ron and Roger for a great time!

MONTAGUE XC 2012 (5 min 8 sec)
Last edited by Kath; Jun 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Jun 22, 2012, 09:18 AM
Thread OP
Well done Kathy. Thanks.

Dean
Jun 22, 2012, 01:27 PM
There's Something in the Air

Nothing to see here.

Deleted by request
Last edited by Ne-Aero; Jun 23, 2012 at 11:03 PM.

Quick Reply