Aug 09, 2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johrich
Well, I've joined the Durafly Corsair club. Mine came in yesterday. It's together, and went together without any problems. Have not maidened it, yet. I have three Parkzone planes, including the Corsair, and this is my first Durafly. Our club field is grass and a bit rough in places, they are putting down a hard runway in the next week, so I may wait to maiden it until I have a flat runway for taking off and landing. Comparing the Durafly Corsair to the Parkzone Corsair (the old one), the Durafly easily wins the beauty contest. I love the way my Parkzone flies (it's a belly lander, I removed the gear), however, so we will see how the Durafly does in comparison.

johrich
Well, I finally got a chance to maiden my Corsair last night. A friend of mine was also there to maiden his new Durafly P-51. The P-51 took off and flew fine, but when he made his turn to bring it in to land, the P-51 continued to roll and despite his attempts to correct, it went into the ground with some major damage to the nose, (possible brown out?). My Corsair flight went a little better. Have been used to belly landers in the grass, so taking off from a hard surface with gear was a new experience, had to try a couple of times to take off to the get the feel of moving the throttle slowly and correcting for the pull to the left, but it got off the ground. Trimmed out the elevator, (wanted to dive), and it flew fine, didn't seem quite as nimble as my PZ Corsair, but flew well. Brought it in to land and came in probably faster than I should have. Got it on the ground and it rolled alot further then I expected, right through a large puddle at the end of the road (runway). Unfortunately, water got into both landing gear and it appears that both main gear are fried. Ordered new gear from HK. I can still fly it, but will need to have the gear down all the time, till the new gear arrives. For the next flight, I am going to remove the belly tanks and missiles to see if that improves things a bit.

johrich
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2012, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johrich
For the next flight, I am going to remove the belly tanks and missiles to see if that improves things a bit.
johrich
Yes, a lot from all reports. I've never had them on.
Bugger about the water but at least they froze down so you can still use it in the mean time.
Aug 10, 2012, 09:09 AM
Dont be divided from the truth
Its all about experience and comfort. The more experience you have flying the more comfort you will have with this model. The appendages wont make a difference either.

Just use it as an excuse to fly more.
Aug 12, 2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks. My club is putting down their new runway this weekend so I will probably wait to try again till next weekend. New retracts are on the way but I can fly with the gear down.

Johrich
Aug 14, 2012, 10:09 PM
Corsair freak
Hi guys I've got a prop question. My plane has been locked up by my wife till the end of September and I wanted to get this sorted beforehand.

I'm planning on bellylanding this plane on grass and looking at 2 blade prop options, either the APC 12x8x2E or this one as per previous threads:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/scale_2_b...32896_prd1.htm

Does anyone use either of these props and if so, what prop adapter do you recommend?

Thank you.
Aug 14, 2012, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePursuit
Hi guys I've got a prop question. My plane has been locked up by my wife till the end of September and I wanted to get this sorted beforehand.

I'm planning on bellylanding this plane on grass and looking at 2 blade prop options, either the APC 12x8x2E or this one as per previous threads:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/scale_2_b...32896_prd1.htm

Does anyone use either of these props and if so, what prop adapter do you recommend?

Thank you.
I'm using a 12x8x2E Master Airscrew propeller on the stock motor shaft with the propeller sandwiched between two washers and the stock spinner nut tightening it all together. It works. But I hold the motor shaft with a pair of needle nose pliers while I tighten the spinner.
Make sense?

It works good on the 12x8x2 propeller but I will be going to a 4S as soon as the ESC that I ordered arrives.
Aug 14, 2012, 11:41 PM
We Begin bombing in 5 Minutes
Or have Gary at Custom RC Parts make you one of these that fits the motor. I had him make me one for my Skyraider which uses the exact same motor. $25
Latest blog entry: Freewing V2 Me 262 revival
Aug 15, 2012, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpos
I'm using a 12x8x2E Master Airscrew propeller on the stock motor shaft with the propeller sandwiched between two washers and the stock spinner nut tightening it all together. It works. But I hold the motor shaft with a pair of needle nose pliers while I tighten the spinner.
Make sense?

It works good on the 12x8x2 propeller but I will be going to a 4S as soon as the ESC that I ordered arrives.
That's what I use too. Works fine for a 3S batt.

I got my new esc 40amp (K-Force) and a 4S to test. I'm hoping for better weather and finish my retract mod first. 12x6x2 hopefully.
I've got a NTM Prop Drive 35 adapter set I've been meaning to test on the stock motor too. Should fit. Cost $2.50 I think. I'll try it when I get home from work if you like.
Aug 15, 2012, 06:42 AM
Well, tried mine on 4s for the first time today with 60 amp ESC. Wow, it is such a different plane. Nowhere near as twitchy and the extra weight sees it tracking very well. I wasn't sold on its flight characteristics on 3s, but after today, it might be my new favourite bird. If you convert, you won't regret it.

Darren
Aug 15, 2012, 07:41 AM
Guys I have had flights on my corsair but mainly hand launched as I'm unable to control it on the ground as it does not want to go straight I try to compensate with bit of rudder but always end up aborting the take off.

Had any one tried shimming the motor mount , will shimming make it go straight

If any one can help it will be much appreciated
Aug 15, 2012, 08:33 AM
Dont be divided from the truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Force10
Guys I have had flights on my corsair but mainly hand launched as I'm unable to control it on the ground as it does not want to go straight I try to compensate with bit of rudder but always end up aborting the take off.

Had any one tried shimming the motor mount , will shimming make it go straight

If any one can help it will be much appreciated
When you say shim, you mean add more down, or right or both to what is already there?

If you add more you will have to trim the dummy radial.
Aug 15, 2012, 02:58 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
Rudder and throttle control is the key. This is not a trainer.
Aug 15, 2012, 03:16 PM
Merlin you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about Corsairs. I just got this plane and it lives up to billing. A couple of questions:

1. Did the F4U-4 see action in late 1945 or was it post war completely? Of course I'm referring to the airframe and not the livery of the Durafly plane.

2. Weren't 2.5" rockets utilized on F4U's late in WWII?

3. Were those drop tanks on the Durafly strictly a post WWII thing or did F4U's use that double tank style in WWII?

4. If the F4U-4 did not see action in WWII which variant was the last one to see action and what outward differences between that one and the 4?

5. 4 blade prop during late WWII or only post war?

Thanks, love the plane but not so much on the purple/black color and livery.

Thanks
Alan
Aug 15, 2012, 03:39 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
Alan my good buddy
The F4U-4 saw action in WWII in 1944 and was indeed the sweetheart of Okinawa . It went on to be the main Corsair (with the F4U-5) in Korea.
It only had a 4 Blade prop and never a 3 (the F4U-1D was the last 3 blader). It did use 2 or 3 Tanks and or 2 Napalm tanks. As for Rockets it used the 5 inch rockets in both Wars with great effect.
It went on to be used up to the 1950s in Reserve units. The "Gray corsairs" were F4U-4s.
Admiral Halsey changed the Navy paint to overall Dark (and i mean dark,almost blue /black) in late 1944 early 1945. He wanted the planes to be seen! Well there were thousands of them.Kind of hard to hide!
The F4U-4s were always dark Blue where a 3 Blade F4U-1D could still be found in the Tri-Color on a land base. By 1945 the F4U-4 was the main US Navy Carrier Fighter replacing the F6F because it was needed (because of the higher top speed) to counter the Kamikaze threat.
The Corsair was still Bad Ass in Korea! Hell it is B A today!
MERLIN
Aug 15, 2012, 04:11 PM
Merlin thanks much for the info. So the F4U-4 (this durafly plane) was used on Okinawa as you mentioned. Was it flown by Marine units. I guess the bottom line, .....is there any way to be historically accurate and paint this thing some shade other than the purple/black it is.

Thanks
Alan

Quick Reply