Dec 11, 2011, 03:58 PM
Airspeed is my drug
Thread OP
Discussion

Balsa and Depron Baby Sharks, Nanosharks

After completing one of these, I decided it would be good to share the merits of this little craft..
Yes, one has to commit to a build, but it is an easy one, aided by top-notch laser cutting and detailed instructions (online). In the end, (about 20hrs for me) I was rewarded with a reasonably light, extremely stiff racer. Choosing transparent covering reveals the nifty wood grain, construction detail, and your efforts at sandiing the airframe to shape.
The package deal gives airframe, motor, esc, and battery. You supply glue, covering, prop, and adaptor. (you can get cool spinner sets through them)
The included 2900kv 34g. MicroDan motor is one of a few I have owned.. all superb performers at a light weight. The speed controller is easily programmed and smooth running, and the batteries they supply (1100 mah 4s) fit in the tiny fuse while keeping reasonably cool under max load.
Pluses? Will take any g's or any amount of power you can throw at it or fit in it. Good tracking for its size. Nice laser cutting. Balances easy with recommended electronics.
Minuses? Well, at 24" and over 100mph it is hard to see. However, it WILL slow down.
Versitile with battery as it lies on the CG.. 800mah 45c 2s, 6x5.5" apc, 9.7oz, 1350 mah 35c 3s, 5.25x4.75" apc, 12.1oz, 1100mah 35c 4s, 5x5apc, 12.3oz
Good stuff found here.. http://nanoplanes.net/
Last edited by MikeRx; May 13, 2014 at 12:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2011, 04:19 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Bout time somebody else got one of these around here!I been sticking with the 3s,can go 4s and my buddies want me to but nawwww,its alot of fun as it is.Maybee I will see yours at one of the local funflys and we can zip around together....Joe
Dec 11, 2011, 11:54 PM
Hey Mike

What a beautiful job! I really like that Yellow! I have never considered trying that color, but now I think I will have to order up some Transparent Yellow. what brand of covering is that?

Also it is very interesting that you tried that on 2S. I have never even considered that. Again, that's another thing I will have to try.

With all the testing that you have done with batteries and prop combos, may I suggest that you try a 5.25x6.25 prop on 3S. This is also a very nice set up. Actually I use a 1600mah 3S with that prop and get extended flight times compared to the 1100mah.

I believe Joe (fh64_lucky) is using that prop on 3S and doesn't even want to try the 4S set up.
Dec 12, 2011, 01:13 AM
DroneWorlds - TEAM NEW ZEALAND
Thats a cool little plane!

Shweet video too, really impressive. Added to the "want list"

High performance flying with Balsa Babyshark on 4S (3 min 10 sec)
Dec 13, 2011, 04:18 AM
Airspeed is my drug
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDave
Hey Mike

What a beautiful job! I really like that Yellow! I have never considered trying that color, but now I think I will have to order up some Transparent Yellow. what brand of covering is that?

Also it is very interesting that you tried that on 2S. I have never even considered that. Again, that's another thing I will have to try.

With all the testing that you have done with batteries and prop combos, may I suggest that you try a 5.25x6.25 prop on 3S. This is also a very nice set up. Actually I use a 1600mah 3S with that prop and get extended flight times compared to the 1100mah.

I believe Joe (fh64_lucky) is using that prop on 3S and doesn't even want to try the 4S set up.
Ultracote is awesome to work with..perfect finishes are a breeze.
2s with that big prop pulls hard and the top end is very surprising given the lack of noise.
6x5.5" in bursts on 3s with my 1350 Rhinos is giddy 2:1 thrust 100mph+ fun!
5.25X6.25" sounds great.. buying a couple of those at LHS today.
Im gonna cut and balance a 5.25" down to 5" for 4s use.
Video pending..
Latest blog entry: Eight cell fun!
Dec 13, 2011, 12:29 PM
I browsed through the color selection of Ultracote from the Horizon Hobby website and found that they have some transparent colors in regular as well as fluorescent. Is your Yellow regular transparent yellow or Fluorescent transparent yellow. Maybe that explains the nice glowing look that I seem to like on your plane, or maybe it's just the lighting.

btw, 5 x 6.25 prop on 4S, now that is something I want to see and try!

waiting for the video!
Dec 13, 2011, 02:14 PM
Airspeed is my drug
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDave
I browsed through the color selection of Ultracote from the Horizon Hobby website and found that they have some transparent colors in regular as well as fluorescent. Is your Yellow regular transparent yellow or Fluorescent transparent yellow. Maybe that explains the nice glowing look that I seem to like on your plane, or maybe it's just the lighting.

btw, 5 x 6.25 prop on 4S, now that is something I want to see and try!

waiting for the video!
Yes, florescent yellow.. it does glow and looks better in person as my photos are of a lower quality.. (phone). The blue paint under the covering for the scoop looks sweet.
I could see myself expanding the paint-under-covering idea on future models for maximum artistic effect.
Here is a picture on a cloudy day..
Latest blog entry: Eight cell fun!
Dec 13, 2011, 07:09 PM
Airspeed is my drug
Thread OP

Video!

Here is a little 4s park action.. It wouldnt focus on the grey skies. Good stuff after the 3 minute mark. Video was cut short when we had to retrieve my runaway dog.
Faster flying and better videos in the future..
Balsa Baby Shark 4s (4 min 12 sec)

sorry.. I just noticed to the lack of quality after uploading it to You Tube
Last edited by MikeRx; Dec 13, 2011 at 07:17 PM.
Dec 14, 2011, 12:28 AM
Mike

Very nice flying man! woo hoo! I love the tight low circles at full throttle toward the end of the video.

Makes me want to build another one for my personal use. haven't flown one myself for a couple of months now.
Feb 18, 2012, 07:43 PM
Maidened! Flew twice today on 3s to get it trimmed. Good thing. Was waaay off. Thought it would torque left and dive and it zoomed and banked right but my radio's left trim button isn't working properly so had to hold a fair bit of left trim. The amount of down trim I used makes me wonder if the incidence is off? Think it may also need some down thrust but need another flight to make sure its in the ballpark for trim.

It sure was fun and certainely gets the other fliers' attention. I should be all ready for the Speed Shark when it gets released!

Made the wings flouro orange on top, Blk/yell stripes on bottom. Had no problems seeing it on a clear blue day.
cheers,
Mike
Feb 19, 2012, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave
Maidened! Flew twice today on 3s to get it trimmed. Good thing. Was waaay off. Thought it would torque left and dive and it zoomed and banked right but my radio's left trim button isn't working properly so had to hold a fair bit of left trim. The amount of down trim I used makes me wonder if the incidence is off? Think it may also need some down thrust but need another flight to make sure its in the ballpark for trim.

It sure was fun and certainely gets the other fliers' attention. I should be all ready for the Speed Shark when it gets released!

Made the wings flouro orange on top, Blk/yell stripes on bottom. Had no problems seeing it on a clear blue day.
cheers,
Mike
Glad you had fun with the plane. I assume you landed and got your left trim issue settled?

Also if you could get the plane to fly straight and level with the down trim then I wouldn't mess with the down thrust.

btw... good color contrast, makes orientation easy..
Feb 19, 2012, 10:42 AM
Now that is a Beauty!!!!!...Great Job!!!!...Billy
Feb 19, 2012, 04:46 PM
My aileron servo torque rod, left side, was coming out of the servo arm. I used some of the scrap balsa to raise the servo height and adjusted the rod end and it was better next flight. Still want to try a touch of downthrust before going 4s as the pitch angle changes when power is changed.

Orange isn't my favorite color but it really shows up well against our solid blue skies.
Feb 20, 2012, 07:38 PM
Well after 8 flights am ready to move on to 4s, (maybe I should order my spare in advance?)

My launches are turning out just like the videos..throw it level w/a slightly up path and it immediately rolls 15 left BUT stays like that maintaining a steady bank angle and moving straight out giving me tons of time to reach for the sticks and straighten it out. That was my only concern w/this bird. I always had trouble w/the Rifle launching it but none w/the BBS.

So time to up the fun factor!
Feb 22, 2012, 11:38 PM
4s cells is fun!

Launches are even easier - straight out at full throttle.

Interesting thing happening - the plane is "singing" make a harmonic type noise. Someone at the field said that occurs when the plane is reaching its max speed? Haven't heard of that before..

Quick Reply