New addition to my Hangar - RC Groups
Sep 30, 2003, 04:55 PM
Hit my smoke....

New addition to my Hangar

Attached are a few snapshots of my Compulsion. 124 in FS01 airfoil, adjustable tailhook and a little paint, otherwise stock.

Still need to fiddle with a few things but ought to be flying this weekend.

I must say Fred Sage provides both a supurb kit and endless patienience answering my questions in a very timely manner.

Flight reports to follow this weekend!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2003, 04:58 PM
Hit my smoke....
See Ya'll at the TNT...
Last edited by Dan Ahearn; Sep 30, 2003 at 05:00 PM.
Sep 30, 2003, 05:29 PM

Some addition

MAN Dan, that's one beautiful sailplane. Looking forward to your flight report! FF
Sep 30, 2003, 06:09 PM
MTT
MTT
I care about rising air !
Nice looking plane, Dan !

Just one question :

Do you land on carriers ?
Quote:
adjustable tailhook

Michael
Sep 30, 2003, 07:02 PM
Hit my smoke....
HA!

As a matter of fact yes

how Freudian
Oct 03, 2003, 08:25 PM
You may have stumbled onto a new landing task- Carrier! Maximum points for a 3-wire, less for 1,2 or 4, zero if you land short or miss the wires. Should put an end to spearing the spot!

Cheers,
Dave
Oct 04, 2003, 05:46 AM
MTT
MTT
I care about rising air !
Even more interesting would be the launches with the tailhook............

Oct 04, 2003, 07:51 PM
Hit my smoke....
Had a few hand tosses this evening. Made my Spirt Elite seem like a plastic trash bag by comparison. L/D is amazing!

Weighs in at 62.3 oz. In search of a winch as SLNT tomorrow!
Oct 05, 2003, 01:16 AM
There was a movie about the Balkans conflict a few years ago...they had scene where one of the pilots put a football on the catapult and launched it...wonder if its possible to launch a fast glider like a molded sloper off one on a recreation day.

I'm sure someone's tried it....it must get boring out in the middle of an ocean with nothing to do.

;-)

Shane
Oct 08, 2003, 01:52 PM
Hit my smoke....

And now for a flight report!

Originally I was planning on my first flight to be on a winch as several folks had advised due to the aggressive launch attitude this ship is famous for.

But after I conferred with Fred and concluded that with the adjustable tow hook forward a bit and a ready hand on the elevator I'd be OK.

This being my 1st high performance model I was nervous but decided I couldn't wait for the winch so I drug out the bungee this AM.

Into an 8 MPH breeze I let her rip into the partly cloudy morning sky. Predictably, she went up on a rail however, my tentative, unmanly pull, yielded a mediocre launch height of maybe 100 feet. Even so I stumbled into lift and thrashed around for 8 minutes getting a feel for things.

On the ground I put in some expo on the stab, doubled my pull for a proper launch and gave her a toss.

Once again, on a rail she went, nearly vertical and easily as high as anything I ever launched on a highstart. Once I sorted out the proper airspeed to fly I found I was able to find lift, core it then dart across the field to the next bit of lift.

As a guy who’s never flown anything beyond the Sprit Elite, I can now say I get it; this is flying at a whole new level. The speed range alone frankly blew me away, camber and reflex made moving around the field a breeze. I was amazed how much a difference it made. I was also impressed with how easily this thing signals lift, with the CG Fred recommends, you'd have to be blind man not to find lift.

I was very impressed with how using Fred’s setup notes the ship is very close to perfect out of the box. It usually takes me weeks to tweak a model as the kit plans are so far off on things like CG.

Finally, I must admit that I was a bit intimidated by a model of this caliber, wondering if I had the skills to fly such a hot ship. For anyone considering moving to the next level, I highly recommend this kit. Fred's customer service is legendary. I cannot tell you how many inane questions he answered in a timely manner.

I have a whole lot more to learn, but making the jump to the next level could not have been easier.

From a highly satisfied Sage customer!!

Dan
Last edited by Dan Ahearn; Oct 08, 2003 at 02:37 PM.